JPMorgan Chase Tower At 600 Travis St.

Greens!

On 10/6/2021 at 5:59 PM, Naviguessor said:

Wear a suit. Act like you know what you’re doing. Research and find out the name of a company located above the sky lobby.  Pause in the lobby like your early for an appointment and go look out the window. Leave the kids at home. 

Do the people on these upper floors not have kids and in-laws? 😅 Because that's exactly who I wanted to bring.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 10/8/2021 at 2:53 PM, Triton said:

Do the people on these upper floors not have kids and in-laws? 😅 Because that's exactly who I wanted to bring.

Say you're meeting with your attorney about a probate/divorce and instruct the family to all look very sad. The awkwardness should get you a clear shot. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

On 8/15/2021 at 1:09 PM, Tumbleweed_Tx said:

it's not as bad as this, but it's comparable. This is the Dresden Museum Of Military History.

dresden mueum.jpg

I've actually been to this Museum. The design for both the refurbishment of the original building and the inclusion of the more abstract addition was done by renowned Post-Modern Architect Daniel Liebskind. Like most post-modernist they tend to prefer asymmetry to symmetry, and have an irreverence to anything vaguely historical, and like to represent form in the abstract. Its definitely very striking when you approach it. You think you are losing it when you see it in the distance and thats kind of the point of it.

But in regards to the addition to this one, I don't exactly agree. I think as far as renovation goes its a lot more subtle. Its a a very stark modernist building with a tailbone being added at the bottom. Not much of an interruption to be honest. Actually a more fitting comparison with this image above is the current renovation to the court house. Very traditional in style (even though it fails at that aesthetic, its a dumb ugly example), with a contemporary vertical corridor and entry slapped onto one side. Way more jarring.

Then again thats just my design opinion knowing what I know and from experience. I'm sure some will like the tailbone and some people won't.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Twinsanity02 said:

I just saw a youtube video of the skydeck views ( there are several)  from the One Vanderbilt in NYC. It is impressive. Got to pay though.

Its incredible!! I don't think theres anything in the world that can compare! I wish we had "a" skydeck or any observation deck :/ we have multiple beautiful skylines!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
2 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

Got a chance to walk around this neighborhood on a trip to town the other day. I was not overwhelmingly impressed by the new buildings by Hines, but when I got to the corner of Milam and Capitol next to this little plaza and looked around, that is when everything sort of came together. All the new buildings in this area of downtown combined to frame the plaza in such a way that I got a very exciting feeling of being in the center of a dynamic place. The feeling was similar to some of the great small plazas in Chicago like the Federal Plaza, Richard J. Daley Plaza, or the little plaza in front of the Wrigley building (probably better than the first two and not as good as the last).

I walked through the Gulf Building and over to Main Street and the feeling continued. Just felt great being downtown. I walk around downtown Austin a few times a week and downtown Houston just has a more mature and ennobling feel - everything in Austin is haphazard and chaotic, whereas the continuous vertical building faces defining the streetgrid in Houston give a sense of assurance and solidity, which stirs the heart in a way that only great downtowns can. The canyon effect of distant sirens and voices evoked thoughts of being in New York.

I stood at the corner of Texas and Main, admiring the front of 609 Main, and as my glance turned, I couldn't believe the sight of the dumpy old Binz Building. What a great candidate for redevelopment! The owners have about half the block, and it could connect to the tunnel system. If Skanska can build on such a narrow site at Discovery Green, someone could surely make a great thin office tower right here.

Walked a block north on Main and as I passed the Rice, I was struck by how tattered everything suddenly looked. It's sort of the feeling you get in the suburbs when you cross that invisible line between a "desirable" and a "not desirable" school district - the life just seems to get sucked out of everything. I've walked here a hundred times and never quite felt it in this way. Developing the parking lot at Main and Prairie would change this area considerably and extend the effect of the central part of Main Street.

As a final note, it was sad how few people were out on the streets at lunch hour on a business day. Makes me wonder if downtown has come as far as I thought it had, but I had to keep reminding myself, "It's the pandemic." Downtown Austin for that matter has about the same level of pedestrian activity at lunchtime, except maybe along Congress. Went to check out POST and although it wasn't exactly bustling, it had more human life than the historic district. Just have to keep improving.

You nailed it. I think the Rice Hotel will pick back up but many of these places are operating on pandemic hours. You aren't wrong about how far we've come, it's just that right now things are moving slow, especially for the hospitality business. POST really did a nice job bringing life to the north side of city center and Common Desk hasn't even moved in yet. Downtown isn't slowing down either. We still have a few projects to expect the next few years, and who knows what that will spur as well.

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 5

Walked a block north on Main and as I passed the Rice, I was struck by how tattered everything suddenly looked. It's sort of the feeling you get in the suburbs when you cross that invisible line between a "desirable" and a "not desirable" school district - the life just seems to get sucked out of everything. I've walked here a hundred times and never quite felt it in this way. Developing the parking lot at Main and Prairie would change this area considerably and extend the effect of the central part of Main Street.

The restaurants and bars up that way were hit hard during all of the shutdowns and the reduced worker traffic during the week hasn't helped either.  The blocks from Prairie to Congress have always been pretty dingy by day.

If the (State National?) bank refurb to Hotel ever gets going, that could help, and the parking lot could be a grocery store for the three residential towers that are nearby, but dealing with the homeless in the area would be a challenge for any retail. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nate99 said:

The restaurants and bars up that way were hit hard during all of the shutdowns and the reduced worker traffic during the week hasn't helped either.  The blocks from Prairie to Congress have always been pretty dingy by day.

If the (State National?) bank refurb to Hotel ever gets going, that could help, and the parking lot could be a grocery store for the three residential towers that are nearby, but dealing with the homeless in the area would be a challenge for any retail. 

Honestly I haven't seen many homeless lately. And areas around the old Cotswold fountains have surveillance now. The most I've seen still hang around the church but it hasn't been as packed or crazy. As far as the hotel is concerned, I see work is still being done so that's a positive. 

• Like 1

On 1/13/2022 at 10:45 AM, H-Town Man said:

As a final note, it was sad how few people were out on the streets at lunch hour on a business day. Makes me wonder if downtown has come as far as I thought it had, but I had to keep reminding myself, "It's the pandemic." Downtown Austin for that matter has about the same level of pedestrian activity at lunchtime, except maybe along Congress. Went to check out POST and although it wasn't exactly bustling, it had more human life than the historic district. Just have to keep improving.

I have an office downtown, while the office isn't closed, the mask requirements in place by my company has encouraged my boss to say we don't need to go in until they change their mask rules. at the moment, the expectation is March, but who really knows.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Really exciting to see all the work they've been doing here to the plaza. I'll actually begin working at the JP Morgan Chase tower in April and I've heard they've even done major renovations inside too:

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/Chase-unveils-tech-hub-in-downtown-s-tallest-16441466.php

Casual seating is shown at the JPMorgan Chase offices at 600 Travis Tuesday, Sept. 7, 2021 in Houston. JPMorgan Chase has completed its move back into the downtown Houston skyscraper that bears its name. More than 1,700 bank employees - most of them technologists making up the Houston Technology Center - are occupying 12 floors in the 75-story JPMorgan Chase Tower at 600 Travis Street, to create an urban campus along with its operations at the nearby historic 712 Main building. The bank leases 250,000 square feet at 600 Travis, which is undergoing renovations to the plaza and tenant amenities.

• Like 9

I actually really like how this turned out! I think maybe the glass pyramid could’ve maybe been a bit bigger, but honestly, it looks really much more inviting with the plaza out front. 

projects like this are great steps toward making street level downtown feel less cold and impersonal. Sorta reminds me of the reno they did at  Allen Center with the plaza and seating outside. 

Edited by BEES?!
  • Like 7