JPMorgan Chase Tower At 600 Travis St.

Greens!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/20/2020 at 11:10 AM, CREguy13 said:

To follow up here, 1111 Fannin was put on the market 5 days ago.

This building sold to a developer, apparently for about $49/SF. Which is pretty darn low for our fair CBD. I know of a mostly vacant office tower in Tyler that sold for around $50/SF. Of course this sale price is weighed down by the tax burden and costs of redevelopment. I imagine that within ten years we could see this building sell again in the mid-$100's.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks like its rein as Texas' tallest building is on barrowed time. Really sad that a pint-sized city like Austin will soon hold the title of having the states tallest building. The amount of skyscrapers on the books for Austin is nothing short of amazing. It's like what Houston experienced 40 years ago that gave rise to the skyline we know today.

• Like 3
  • Sad 4

18 hours ago, wxman said:

Looks like its rein as Texas' tallest building is on barrowed time. Really sad that a pint-sized city like Austin will soon hold the title of having the states tallest building. The amount of skyscrapers on the books for Austin is nothing short of amazing. It's like what Houston experienced 40 years ago that gave rise to the skyline we know today.

What have they proposed? That would be sad indeed.

Never mind, I see it now. Sheesh, tall buildings are about all that Houston has going for it from a scenic standpoint (as opposed to hills, lakes, clear streams and waterfalls, etc.). This was only a matter of time given Austin's trajectory the past ten years. Hopefully at some point Houston can build tall again; Hines seems resigned to building 47-story buildings for eternity.

Edited by H-Town Man
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Hope I don't get killed for this: this exact building was the one, maybe 8 or so years ago, that really turned me off from this part of downtown once I started working in and around DT. The building seemed cold from the street level and theres a ton of concrete in the patio/front area around the art piece and also by the office building across the street with nothing to break up the monotony and coldness of the concrete ( a few trees didn't help). I always found it strange that someone was like, yeah, this is great.

That rendering posted by @adr is 100x better. Also, wearing a suit in that part of downtown will be juuuuust a bit easier. If every downtown building just put in a bit more green/trees, doesn't even have to be as robust as this, I think you'd see a bit more activity top-side

Edited by X.R.
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

What have they proposed? That would be sad indeed.

Never mind, I see it now. Sheesh, tall buildings are about all that Houston has going for it from a scenic standpoint (as opposed to hills, lakes, clear streams and waterfalls, etc.). This was only a matter of time given Austin's trajectory the past ten years. Hopefully at some point Houston can build tall again; Hines seems resigned to building 47-story buildings for eternity.

I also want a few super talls going up. In my opinion they would look great in the empty lots near where Skanska's Discovery West is going up. Neverthess  I am very very happy over the numerous highrises constructed in the last decade in downtown Houston.  All those surface parking lots and one ugly parking garage-gone. 

• Like 4

On 1/27/2021 at 4:44 PM, wxman said:

Tall buildings are vanity projects.  Austin has kind of cornered the market on vanity in Texas these days.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Here's somethings which may be used for vanity. Houston was the 2nd fastest growing metro from 2010 to 2019 in the US growing at an annual average of 127,300. We were the fastest for over a decade until, I believe, 2014 when DFW passed us. Austin is also growing fast , for it's size, but only 56,800 per year.

We also have some of the most buildings going up after NYC and Toronto if Emporis is accurate. And think of all the great things being built at the Med Center, Downtown,Uptown, and Buffalo Bayou areas. Not bad for a city which doesn't get fawning media.

• Like 7