JPMorgan Chase Tower At 600 Travis St.

Greens!

ChannelTwoNews,

I used one of your photos.

Forgive my crude, coffee break, paint job rendering... but I'd much rather them have utilized elements of the building. The steel and gray design of the building could be timeless, especially given a few more years. Essentially, they have aged the building (in a bad way), by adding this white and glass lobby structure. 

Could have been brought up to date in a more sophisticated manner. Understand the reverse triangles playing with sculpture, but the stark white and sharp blue glass do not compliment either. The only saving grace would be to paint the steel a matching gray, and tint the windows IMHO.

JP.jpg

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, Tumbleweed_Tx said:

I drove by this yesterday. I'm back on the 'it's estupid' train

Maybe with the whole plaza redone and the extra volume in the lobby of the building it will make sense, but it sure seems like a whole lot of effort for something so "tacked on". 

• Like 3

On 7/14/2021 at 9:20 AM, Texasota said:

Pretty sure if he were real, Howard Roark would be in hell, not resting in peace.

The Howard Roark character was full of himself, no doubt, but if every architect who acted like him (and not all do, at least THIS one tries not to) went to Hell it would be a very crowded place. 😄

• Like 1

On 7/15/2021 at 6:29 PM, Tumbleweed_Tx said:

I drove by this yesterday. I'm back on the 'it's estupid' train

I think the office landlords feel a pressure to do some kind of little renovation so that they can tout to potential tenants that it's been renovated. Just a little splash of newness in the common areas is what most office renovations amount to. In this case, it does not seem apparent why a plaza with a glass wedge sticking into it would be any more pedestrian-friendly than an open plaza. When you think of great office plazas like the Federal Center in Chicago, there are no glass wedges jutting out of the buildings, just crisp open plazas. I could just as easily see, if the wedge had been built originally, them saying "We are removing an obtrusive 1980's glass wedge in order to create more open space and enhance walkability for a new generation that desires these things."

• Like 7

spent some time walking around at lunch today, before the rain. I guess I'll be the lone dissenting opinion, I kind of like it.

mainly from a perspective of, anything is better than the 3/4 of the block being empty except for a bunch of too far spaced stairs that end up causing tourists to trip and fall.

but I also like the pyramid at the Louvre, so what do I know :lol:

• Like 4

On 7/19/2021 at 9:41 AM, H-Town Man said:

I think the office landlords feel a pressure to do some kind of little renovation so that they can tout to potential tenants that it's been renovated. Just a little splash of newness in the common areas is what most office renovations amount to. In this case, it does not seem apparent why a plaza with a glass wedge sticking into it would be any more pedestrian-friendly than an open plaza. When you think of great office plazas like the Federal Center in Chicago, there are no glass wedges jutting out of the buildings, just crisp open plazas. I could just as easily see, if the wedge had been built originally, them saying "We are removing an obtrusive 1980's glass wedge in order to create more open space and enhance walkability for a new generation that desires these things."

They’re lining up their shot for 2050. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/14/2021 at 5:10 PM, hindesky said:

AD1eSoH.jpg

I'm sure some wag will say it looks like the building is sticking its tongue out at the city. But you won't hear that from me. 🙂

17 hours ago, Tumbleweed_Tx said:

it's not as bad as this, but it's comparable. This is the Dresden Museum Of Military History.

dresden mueum.jpg

It looks like a giant shard of glass was dropped into the building from high above.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...