JPMorgan Chase Tower At 600 Travis St.

Greens!

22 minutes ago, hindesky said:

Whoever posted that on the r/austin said 70 stories 1000', JP Morgan Chase is 75 stories 1002'. Not sure if the op know the correct height though. @Urbannizer what is the actual height of it?

Looks like we actually have a thread here on it: 

74 floors / 1025'

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

More like a farmerless farmers market.

Glad to see something happening with that space, though.  Such a massive change from the old days when if you even lingered too long on the open space, the security guards would move you along.

Lots of these little markets popping up around downtown lately.  I went to one in 609 Main yesterday, and there was one earlier in the week in Understory. 

At 609, I bought good olive oil, bad cookies, and not great coffee cake.  It's surprising how every single vendor takes tap-to-pay payments, but only maybe half of them have business cards so you can find them after the pop-up market is over.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ttuchris said:

I tried to walk through this new plaza last weekend on my way to AMC.  Security quickly told me to leave and that the plaza was closed to the public.  It was bizarre.  There are no fences and they had music playing.  

Maybe they were getting ready for a private event.  They really should put up signs, though.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to JPMorgan Chase Tower At 600 Travis St.
  • 3 months later...
50 minutes ago, samagon said:

looks like the proposed tower in Austin that would have been taller than this one has been reduced in height, so Houston will retain the tallest tower in Texas.

The Wilson Tower (1035ft), which was supposed to be the new tallest, had it's height cut. The Waterline (1,022ft), is still under construction, which will be the new tallest. So as of now, JP Morgan Chase Tower will be #2.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/26/2022 at 8:33 PM, wilcal said:

Status as tallest building in Texas looks to be challenged in Austin.

VszFTBG.png

Looks like they went through all sorts of gymnastics to get up to that height. Looks like two separate towers, on stilts, on top of a massive podium, which itself is on stilts.

Chase tower rises from street level all the way to its tippy top. Chase should just add a crown after that Austin tower is completed and say nice try, but sorry.

But then again, Chase was originally planned to be taller, but FAA restrictions resulted in a shorter building.  I wonder if the FAA would block a 25 ft crown. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HoustonIsHome said:

But then again, Chase was originally planned to be taller, but FAA restrictions resulted in a shorter building.  I wonder if the FAA would block a 25 ft crown. 

I've seen as many people claim this as people who say it's an urban legend and false.  Does anyone know the real story?

• Like 1

On 9/8/2023 at 5:35 PM, Brooklyn173 said:

The Chron is the almighty truth. The Chase Tower is standing pretty at 1,049ft.

On 9/8/2023 at 2:37 PM, rechlin said:

I've seen as many people claim this as people who say it's an urban legend and false.  Does anyone know the real story?

E-mailed the architects well over a decade ago. Like back in AOL times. Advised the building grew and shrunk before they settled at the current height/floor count. Have yet to see any solid proof (from either perspective), that there was an official FAA statement blocking the height of the tower - let alone the proposed BOTSW Tower. They did tell me the FAA were concerned about the flight path into Hobby.

A 75 floor count cap by the FAA is strange. Floor height varies. There would be a definitive height cap, like San Diego, or Singapore, in feet/meters.

For now, I'd say it's an urban legend. Wouldn't put it past the Chron to peddle it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• This topic was pinned and unpinned
  • 5 months later...