I'm not so sure it was "dumb" that they couldn't get anything for Carr, it was just that they couldn't get anything for him. Management isn't going to just flippantly release someone like that. They did it for a reason.

The SHOULD have gotten something in return, but the Texans put themselves in a position where they couldn't. Once again, I'm not saying Schaub will be a bust (I think he'll have a good career in Houston), but we supposedly didn't get Young because we already had Carr, and we supposedly didn't draft Bush partially because we expected Davis/Williams to heal. And in return for giving up all four, the Texans get nothing? Where's the strategy there?

Why couldn't they have negotiated for Carr's trade in exchange for draft picks with one team while simutaneously trading what we gave up for Schaub? THAT'S why this is dumb. They didn't have to announce that they were giving up Carr AFTER they found their replacement. They should have announced two trades on the same day. Now, Carr can end up on ANY team (even the Bears, who won the NFC Championship with a sub-par QB), and we sign Schaub to a 6-year, $48 million dollar deal without knowing if he's the next Peyton Manning or not? If Schaub is a bust, what is the Texans' insurance policy? Waive him too?

You nailed it right on the head, TJones! I might wanna take you out to Vic & Anthony's one of these days, lol!

That's how Emmitt Smith was so great, cause he treated his linemen out, and placed Rolex watches in each of his linemen lockers.

Hell just froze over ! ! !

Dan Pastorini, actually started the whole Rolex for the linemen thing, it may have been Earl Campbell, but I feel pretty sure it was Dan. We'll go "Dutch" on the Vic & Anthony's Semi. :lol::lol::D

I'm not so sure it was "dumb" that they couldn't get anything for Carr, it was just that they couldn't get anything for him. Management isn't going to just flippantly release someone like that. They did it for a reason.

Perhaps something in the contract where if he was to be released for any reason, only certain monies have to be paid to him. I just can't believe that NOBODY wanted to trade something decent for him. WOW ! Frees up some good money though.

The SHOULD have gotten something in return, but the Texans put themselves in a position where they couldn't. Once again, I'm not saying Schaub will be a bust (I think he'll have a good career in Houston), but we supposedly didn't get Young because we already had Carr, and we supposedly didn't draft Bush partially because we expected Davis/Williams to heal. And in return for giving up all four, the Texans get nothing? Where's the strategy there?

Why couldn't they have negotiated for Carr's trade in exchange for draft picks with one team while simutaneously trading what we gave up for Schaub? THAT'S why this is dumb. They didn't have to announce that they were giving up Carr AFTER they found their replacement. They should have announced two trades on the same day. Now, Carr can end up on ANY team (even the Bears, who won the NFC Championship with a sub-par QB), and we sign Schaub to a 6-year, $48 million dollar deal without knowing if he's the next Peyton Manning or not? If Schaub is a bust, what is the Texans' insurance policy? Waive him too?

Seriously, this comes from inexpierence by our GM and Head Coach.

That's true. At least they were willing to admit their mistake and move on though. What's in the past is in the past.

I just can't believe that NOBODY wanted to trade something decent for him. WOW ! Frees up some good money though.

There had to be a reason though. B/c you know that someone wants him. Maybe not for a starting role, but they still want him. I'm guessing that the market for him wasn't real strong, and those who do want him probably don't need him real bad, so they are willing to gamble and try and get him via free agency.

That's true. At least they were willing to admit their mistake and move on though. What's in the past is in the past.

Everything in that quote would make sense, but it's not just the past; it's the present. They released Carr today for NOTHING in return, using no strategy whatsoever to get something out of giving him up after getting Schaub. This was the easiest road though.

Perhaps as Texans fans, the hope is that this is the last off-season mistake they make for a while before they get positive results from the good aquisitions.

There had to be a reason though. B/c you know that someone wants him. Maybe not for a starting role, but they still want him. I'm guessing that the market for him wasn't real strong, and those who do want him probably don't need him real bad, so they are willing to gamble and try and get him via free agency.

Wouldn't surprise me if Carr went to Oakland while they still draft Russell. That'd mean they have two 1st pick QBs in one offseason while only using one pick.

It's a shame they did not have someone with your NFL experience to advise them.

Ouch. That one hurts.

Although, I have heard similar comments made by radio talents as well.

But who knows. They had a great draft last year and it seems as if they're always making national headlines with their moves this offseason.

It's a shame they did not have someone with your NFL experience to advise them.

Yeah really :rolleyes: .

Rick Smith is a relatively new GM, that is why I said it. They should have had deals for Carr AND Schaub in the works at the same time. It should have all went down before the media got a hold of the story.

Well teams were more interested in Carr before the Schaub trade went down than after. The Texas should have either traded Carr first, or did it at the same time. Now, the Texans had really no choice to release him. We couldn't even get a 7th rounder for Carr. Hell, Joey Harrington got a sixth for Detroit when he was traded to Miami.

Smart because he would have a second round pick. It is either give them both of our seconds this year, or one this year and the next. No one knows what the deal would have been, but has Rick Smith hangs up the phone with the team who will have Carr, he will start dialing the number to the Falcons in Farmers Branch, GA.

OK, suppose the Texans trade Carr first, and get some lame 2nd round pick. Now, suppose the deal for Schaub falls through. Just how smart and experienced does the GM look NOW?

The idea is that you go through the Schaub trade UNDER THE TABLE, agree in principle to trade Carr to another team for a draft pick, get the Schaub deal finalized and announce it, then at that same press conference, announce the Carr trade. In other words, the Falcons and that other team didn't know about each other's deals or negotiations, and they shouldn't have to because Carr has nothing to do with the Falcons, and Schaub has nothing to do with the other team.

With that situation, it would be seen as pure brilliance. Instead, it looks like negotiation-wise, they gave up much more than they recieved. Even if Schaub is a great QB, the Texans could use another Demeco Ryans-caliber 2nd round pick, or even a draft move up to get someone coveted. They need to do more moves that void them of being the laughing stock of the league like they have been the past few years.

Well teams were more interested in Carr before the Schaub trade went down than after. The Texas should have either traded Carr first, or did it at the same time. Now, the Texans had really no choice to release him. We couldn't even get a 7th rounder for Carr. Hell, Joey Harrington got a sixth for Detroit when he was traded to Miami.
Edited by lockmat

Guest Marty

I have always been hard on David Carr Hoping he would get in the groove. I have a bad feeling that Carr is going to explode and become a nightmare.

Edited by Marty

So how does the Texans' front office look now that they've released Carr, because no other team wanted to trade for him and his 11 million dollar contract?

...like they need to be playoff contenders to show they made the right move. They're doing the same thing to Schaub that they did to Carr last off-season; instead of getting the sure thing (Young), they keep the QB with potential by offering them a long-term, big-money contract without knowing if he'll be a great starter or not. In other words, act like you trust the QB by giving him big dollars, but not neccesarily by bringing in other OL that could be compatible with that QB, or giving him plays that show you trust him with 30 seconds left in the game.

Hopefully they get that in Schaub, because if not, McNair's probably not gonna tolerate it after this season, and he shouldn't

Shaub is no Carr. People keep forgetting that.

you're right he may be worse.

and this unknown is what bothers me. his draft gradeout puts him below Carr he was drafted in the third round and has been a backup for two years.

generally i don't mind the swap at the spot but they now have signed him to a fat contract on potential and named him to be a starter. this is equivilent with how you treat a first round draft pick QB. combined with how they let Carr go as a favor to him is not good business.

Shaubie has to take this team to the playoffs immediately. and they should be immediatelly better, the team went 6-7 in their last 13 games and were close to winning 2 more.

Texans to meet with former Aldine, UT linebacker D.D. Lewis (SEA).

Is I'm missing something here? Why the Texans getting all of these LB's, and not working on secondary? I hope and pray that Faggins won't be starting on the opposite side of Robinson this season.

Faggins nickname is "Burnt Man," cause he get's burnt once, or twice in every game.

Edited by houstonsemipro