Project Green: Mixed-Use Development On Allen Parkway By Hines

editor

1 hour ago, trymahjong said:

North Montrose Civic was host

COH/PWE was there

Downtown TIRZ did some of the sewage repairs- there were three there

district C council women there

Other people, who had a little experience in civic community advocacy  were invited

honestly that's all I know

OK no worries. I live right there and haven't noticed any sewage repairs going on that's all. But I'm keenly interested in what happens to that land. Its right next door. Tnx

• 4 months later...
35 minutes ago, Dakota79 said:

A neighbor told me that Hines and SCI are moving forward in 2024. SCI with a new headquarters high rise and Hines with mixed use high rises and the garage facing Stanford Street. Would love to see the plans.

Look on page 1 of this topic, @Paco Jones posted the rendering of the new SCI headquarters and an overhead view of the plans for the other mixed use buildings.

That is why I think these tiebacks permits are for the new HQ lot.

54 minutes ago, hindesky said:

"Service Corp. International, the Houston-based funeral services giant, is expected to begin construction next year on a $150 million headquarters after the Downtown Redevelopment Authority on Tuesday authorized as much as $13.8 million in reimbursements for flood mitigation work at the site. 

SCI's new tower, being developed by Hines, will be built at the former site of KHOU-TV studios, 1945 Allen Parkway, next to SCI's current offices. The roughly 900 employees will continue to work at the existing tower — which has been flooded several times — until the new building is finished."   

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/article/sci-new-hq-at-former-khou-site-18550338.php

ehHKBNm.png

I wish it was taller. It's so depressing to go to Austin and see all those tall buildings under construction.  We haven't had anything over 60 stories since the 80's.. Sigh.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

4 hours ago, Dakota79 said:

I wish it was taller. It's so depressing to go to Austin and see all those tall buildings under construction.  We haven't had anything over 60 stories since the 80's.. Sigh.

Their zoning pretty much restricts high rises to downtown only where Houston’s doesn’t have that issues. Market forces there for keep ours shorter and theirs taller. 

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Dakota79 said:

We haven't had anything over 60 stories since the 80's.. Sigh.

The number of floors does not automatically mean there will be a greater height of course. So, in terms of stories - no.

In terms of actual height - yes.

Here are some of the 500'+ towers I can think of completed in the past dozen or so years. 

609 Texas (2017) - 755'

Texas Tower (2022)- 735'

811 Main (2011) - 630'

Bank of America Tower (2019) - 579' (This seems to be the figure everyone including the CTBUH uses, though I'm personally unsure).

Brava (2022) - 549'

Memorial Hermann Tower (2009) - 542'

Perhaps most importantly, the larger office towers here don't actually seem to sit without substantial leasing for too long. That's not the case elsewhere.

• Like 5

On 12/13/2023 at 12:03 PM, hindesky said:

"Service Corp. International, the Houston-based funeral services giant, is expected to begin construction next year on a $150 million headquarters after the Downtown Redevelopment Authority on Tuesday authorized as much as $13.8 million in reimbursements for flood mitigation work at the site. 

SCI's new tower, being developed by Hines, will be built at the former site of KHOU-TV studios, 1945 Allen Parkway, next to SCI's current offices. The roughly 900 employees will continue to work at the existing tower — which has been flooded several times — until the new building is finished."   

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/article/sci-new-hq-at-former-khou-site-18550338.php

ehHKBNm.png

An uninspired glass box on the doorstep of downtown Houston...Yay!

Come on,  Hines!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, shasta said:

An uninspired glass box on the doorstep of downtown Houston...Yay!

Come on,  Hines!

I don't think it's fair to blame Hines. I know the Chron said it is being developed by Hines, but, you know... the Chron...

I'm pretty sure Hines is not the "developer" in the sense of owning it or being responsible for choosing the architecture.  I think Hines is managing the project for SCI (one of the many ways Hines makes money). I guess it's too much to expect the local newspaper's business writers to be aware of that.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, LosFeliz said:

I'd hate to be the neighbors that get to look at that and the light polution at night. 

Houston recently passed a new rule saying light from garages can't intrude on neighboring properties, both the structure lights and the car lights.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, LosFeliz said:

Good to know. So this garage must be orientated so that it isn't facing residential. But it's still an open air concrete garage. Houston has way too many and keeps building more.

These new rules apply to new garages being built. They can still be open air but the walls now have to be higher so car's headlights don't shine over the walls.

• 3 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, shasta said:

What a dud of a project for such a prominent site.

It's a funeral home and cemetery company, I wouldn't expect it to be splashy. They specialize in somber.😵☠️🤷‍♂️

Edited by hindesky
  • Haha 4