Adelaide Downtown: Micro Unit Apartment Complex At 1218 Leeland St.

nate4l1f3

• The title was changed to 1218 Bell: Micro Unit Apartment Complex Near Trebly Park

The red line is extremely convenient, as is the 82 bus. That, in combination with the planned University and Inner Katy BRT lines, along with easy bike access to the Heights, makes this a pretty convenient place to be without a car. 

But this is somewhat subjective. I don't enjoy having to drive everywhere, so if there are halfway decent alternatives I will usually take them. 

• Like 7

Really goes to show you how easily the human mind is bamboozled...when I see comments on here that latch onto American car hegemony and say "Well I CERTAINLY wouldn't want to live at a place without a place to park" and I nod sagely, when IN FACT, the project is still surrounded by seas of surface parking and I have PERSONALLY rented a parking spot in a garage within two blocks of this project. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Texasota said:

The red line is extremely convenient, as is the 82 bus. That, in combination with the planned University and Inner Katy BRT lines, along with easy bike access to the Heights, makes this a pretty convenient place to be without a car. 

But this is somewhat subjective. I don't enjoy having to drive everywhere, so if there are halfway decent alternatives I will usually take them. 

Honestly that's damn near a 90 walk score in most cities so I'd say it's not subjective at all. All those key transit connections you listed both currently existing and proposed are going to take our walk/transit score way up. I'd say once those two lines are built our score will probably shoot up 15 to 20 points easily.

• The title was changed to Micro Unit Apartment Complex Near Trebly Park At 1218 Bell St.
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2022 at 3:06 PM, KinkaidAlum said:

If you live and work downtown or anywhere along the rail line, you could save a lot of money by not having a car. There's also Lyft/Uber when needed and plenty of places to rent one. 

I know a handful of Houstonians that don't have cars and they live happy lives. I couldn't do it even though I drive about once a week these days because I'm still working from home in LA.

I looked up the statistics last year, and there are many thousands of people in Houston who do not own cars.   Most of them don't live downtown, though.  They live in other parts of town. 

Credit the advent of Uber and Lyft for this.  I drove for Uber for about 10 months, and learned from my passengers that a surprising number of lower middle class people have given up on cars.  With the monthly payment + gas + insurance + maintenance, it's cheaper for some people to just Uber everywhere. 

In the eight months that I've lived downtown this time, I'd say I only use my car less than once a week.  My wife drives to the Galleria area daily, and complains to me almost as often that the logic of not having a train between the city's main business district and its main shopping district escapes her. 

I patiently explain to her that Texans are big, brave, burly people who aren't afraid of anything... except mass transit.  Put a guy rollin' smoke out of Conroe on a subway and he'll fudge his Huggies.  Because train=scary poor people.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, editor said:

My wife drives to the Galleria area daily, and complains to me almost as often that the logic of not having a train between the city's main business district and its main shopping district escapes her. 

My wife likewise drives to the Galleria area daily (her workplace is on Post Oak), and looks forward to the day when she will be able to hop on the train from the light rail stop that is literally two minutes from our front door and ride it all the way to work. It's possible to go door to door via Metro, but you have to get off the train downtown and transfer to a bus to get to the Galleria, and the bus trip takes a lot longer than a train would.

• Like 4

I wish Houston had a subway loop with about 8 or 10 stops max to allow for higher speeds connecting these areas:

1) Downtown

2) U of H

3) TMC/Reliant Park (would love to see the Astrodome area become a destination and a mass transit hub)

4) Rice Village

5) Greenway Plaza

6) The Galleria

7) Uptown Park area

8) Memorial Park

Just for kicks, add an elevated or submerged commuter line (that does not interfere with street/pedestrian traffic) down Westheimer and another one down the Kirby corridor with stops in these areas:

Westheimer Line:

1) U of H

2) Main/Elgin for connectivity w/ Red Line 

3) Westheimer/Montrose

4) Westheimer/Kirby

5) Highland Village

6) The Galleria

7) Westhemer/Voss

8) Westchase area

9) Chinatown (obviously not on Westheimer but a direct link to Chinatown).

Come to think of it, a Bellaire/Holcombe Line with no more than two stops between Chinatown and TMC (perhaps a stop in Sharpstown and a stop at the Bellaire Triangle before connecting with the Red Line) wouldn't be a bad idea as the QuickLine currently takes 35 minutes to get from Chinatown to TMC. That commute could go from 35 minutes to 12-15 minutes.

Kirby Line:

1) Reliant Park

2) Kirby/S. Main for connectivity w/ Red Line

3) Rice Village

4) Kirby/Westheimer for connectivity w/ Westheimer Line

5) Regent Square

6) Dallas/Main

I know that would cost a fortune, but it would probably save money in the long run by eliminating the need for an automobile for a lot more people, plus all the issues associated with them like accidents/pollution/gas consumption/etc. that come with automobiles...and also changing the way we develop. Just imagine having that service available though moving forward and the future transit options that would open up to the suburbs/airports...hopefully also either elevated or submerged to prevent street intervention. That's the problem with our current light rail system. It creates as much traffic as it alleviates.

• Like 5

Houston will get a subway eventually.  You can only build so many lanes.  What is the city going to do when gridlock becomes common on Kirby/Westheimer/Sherpherd/San Felipe?  Start plowing down mansions?  No.  At some people the people in their glass and steel bubbles will realize that even if they never use a subway, themselves, trains take a portion of the people sitting around them in traffic and move them underground.

Houston, however, is not known for bring proactive when it comes to infrastructure.  Construction prices only go up; they never go down.  Houston would rather spend twice as much tomorrow, rather than building something today.  Because tomorrow it's someone else's problem.  Someone else's candidate.  Someone else's tax bill. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Adelaide Downtown: Micro Unit Apartment Complex At 1218 Leeland St.
On 1/17/2022 at 10:28 PM, Urbannizer said:

CH1U1XL.jpg

CsnEyEX.jpg

2 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

Larger sized renderings of Adelaide Downtown. The renderings are from the brochure posted above by @Urbannizer. 

Adelaide Downtown is a five-story micro apartment building from Mirador Group. It's planned for 1218 Leeland St.

eLQyfaL.jpg

17t8JR8.jpg

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
  • Like 7

21 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

A closer view of the floor plan for Adelaide Downtown. The floor plan is included in the screenshot @Urbannizer shared a few posts up.

Adelaide Downtown is a five-story micro apartment building from Mirador Group. It's planned for 1218 Leeland St. 

ATkjjmt.jpg

• Like 2