Atma At McGowen: Condominiums At 1403 McGowen St.

lockmat

They modified their ground floor design slightly prior to withdrawal.  The question is whether they come back with a different proposal or put the dirt back on the market.  

Can anyone recommend a marketing/surveying entity to build a profile of Midtown -- residents/owners/income/expenditures, whatever -- to help developers fit their projects into the urban field consonant with community strengths?  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

This Thursday at 4:00 pm in the Midtown Management Building at 410 Pierce, 3rd floor (doors on Bagby) the ATMA folks will be presenting their modified design for 1403 McGowen for public comment.  Present for this discussion will be the architects (Humphreys), designers (Knudson), developer and owners.  This forum is the monthly meeting of the Midtown Management District's Urban Planning Committee and is open to the public.  If you have a general interest, have something you would like to contribute, are interested in development in Midtown, or are just curious about the process, please find your way to this meeting.  As of yet, the developers of this parcel have not resubmitted their variance request to the City, so this is an effort to shop the modified design and gauge public reception.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/13/2016 at 11:05 AM, Diaspora said:

This Thursday at 4:00 pm in the Midtown Management Building at 410 Pierce, 3rd floor (doors on Bagby) the ATMA folks will be presenting their modified design for 1403 McGowen for public comment.  Present for this discussion will be the architects (Humphreys), designers (Knudson), developer and owners.  This forum is the monthly meeting of the Midtown Management District's Urban Planning Committee and is open to the public.  If you have a general interest, have something you would like to contribute, are interested in development in Midtown, or are just curious about the process, please find your way to this meeting.  As of yet, the developers of this parcel have not resubmitted their variance request to the City, so this is an effort to shop the modified design and gauge public reception.

So how'd the meeting go?

The proposed development with some changes will be presented to the Planning Commission this Thursday, January 5.  The developer made some concessions by introducing office space on the first floor and opening the McGowen face of the building to pedestrian traffic.  There will also be a bcycle station at this location on McGowen.  

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Houston Planning Commission Approves 8-Story Midtown Midrise

Houston (Harris Co.) - Allied Orion Group won approval to construct an eight-story mid-rise condominium in Houston's bustling Midtown.

The project presented Jan. 19 will have a three-story parking garage and a total of 142 parking spaces. There will be five stories of condominium units above the garage.

The front of the building will face McGowen Street and is between Austin and LaBranch Streets. The proposed structure totals 81,773 square feet.

Along McGowen, Allied Orion requested a 5-foot building line for the first two floors for 110 feet, a 1-foot building line for 140 feet, and a 1-foot building line for the third floor to the roof versus the standard 10 feet. Along Austin, the ask was for an 8-foot line at ground level and a zero line above the garage. For LaBranch, the request was for a zero line from ground up. This was previously recorded as La Plaza de Midtown subdivision plat, but that building was never constructed.

The parking entrance will be on Austin. Other than parking, a portion of the ground level will be set aside for offices. However, there may also be some retail.

Dan Barnum, a member of the Midtown Alliance planning committee and an architect, spoke in support of the project. "I'm also one of the instigators of redevelopment of Midtown of almost 20 years ago," Barnum said. "This is the kind of project we foresaqw for Midtown. "It is what we've been hoping for along McGowen. The only change we ask of the developer is some retail space on the ground floor, because there is a demand for that, and they are looking at that."

Allied Orion also requested a variance for a smaller loading area on the grounds that these will be owner-occupied condos and there will not be as much need for moving trucks as there is in a rental apartment community.

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

That is great news. Maybe they are finally waking up. 

Something else thats probably even more significant about this project is its location on the East side of Main.

So everyone thats been complaining about the lack of development on the east side of Main should be happy to hear about this project.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Ross said:

Is the Planning Commission going to pay the developer if the retail doesn't get any occupants? Or does the owner just have to eat the cost of the ugly empty space.

They had the option to put retail, office, or housing units on the ground floor.  It appears they believe retail is the most marketable.

• Like 2

Yeah just like Post property had to look at a bunch of ugly empty space. Oh thats right they've been full since it opened and its probably one of the most successful parts of midtown. If the developer creates a project that makes retail a positive space and not just an after thought i think it will be filled quickly.

More and more of the empty spaces downtown are starting to be leased and as more people move in more of the retail and service oriented businesses will follow. 

I dont  know how many times I have to say this until it starts sinking in, but unless retail space is developed into these block filling developments there won't be any reason to get out and walk six blocks to get to a store.

I'm  speaking to the future and the creation of a successful midtown on a broad sense.

Once blocks and blocks of development are developed without room for retail then what do you do.

• Like 7

12 hours ago, bobruss said:

Yeah just like Post property had to look at a bunch of ugly empty space. Oh thats right they've been full since it opened and its probably one of the most successful parts of midtown. If the developer creates a project that makes retail a positive space and not just an after thought i think it will be filled quickly.

More and more of the empty spaces downtown are starting to be leased and as more people move in more of the retail and service oriented businesses will follow. 

I dont  know how many times I have to say this until it starts sinking in, but unless retail space is developed into these block filling developments there won't be any reason to get out and walk six blocks to get to a store.

I'm  speaking to the future and the creation of a successful midtown on a broad sense.

Once blocks and blocks of development are developed without room for retail then what do you do.

Retail isn't required on every block - perhaps one out of 16 or 20 would suffice. After all, how many convenience stores and small restaurant, etc are necessary for an area the size of Midtown?

Post was successful because there wasn't any competition. If there had been other GFR, Post likely would not have built as much as they did. I trust the developers to determine whether GFR is economic, but the density is not there now, or likely ever, to support GFR in every development. Especially with the amount of stand alone establishments in Midtown.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, phillip_white said:

They had the option to put retail, office, or housing units on the ground floor.  It appears they believe retail is the most marketable.

That decision was made under duress - "which one of these awful options is the least bad for me"

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Ross said:

Retail isn't required on every block - perhaps one out of 16 or 20 would suffice. After all, how many convenience stores and small restaurant, etc are necessary for an area the size of Midtown?

Post was successful because there wasn't any competition. If there had been other GFR, Post likely would not have built as much as they did. I trust the developers to determine whether GFR is economic, but the density is not there now, or likely ever, to support GFR in every development. Especially with the amount of stand alone establishments in Midtown.

Thats funny cause when your in the suburbs or just about anywhere you drive in Houston there is retail from corner to corner on every street. What makes downtown and Midtown any different. The difference is that with all of the people living in much denser neighborhoods it would be much better for everyone to be able to walk to these stores or service related businesses instead of getting in a car. Just curious Ross, but  what do you do for a living that you're so against developing retail and promoting urban density.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, bobruss said:

Thats funny cause when your in the suburbs or just about anywhere you drive in Houston there is retail from corner to corner on every street. What makes downtown and Midtown any different. The difference is that with all of the people living in much denser neighborhoods it would be much better for everyone to be able to walk to these stores or service related businesses instead of getting in a car. Just curious Ross, but  what do you do for a living that you're so against developing retail and promoting urban density.

Not that it's relevant, but I am a financial systems analyst with an accounting degree. My views have nothing to do with being against developing retail or promoting density, and everything to do with not forcing property owners to build something they consider non-economic. If a property owner thinks GFR/offices/etc is a good idea, that's great, and he should build it.

There's no retail in my subdivision, which is inside the loop, nor is there retail in any of the residential areas in any of the suburbs. The retail is concentrated on certain streets, with enough retail density to make it easy to get all your shopping done without going to too many different places.

• 9 months later...