Warehouse District: Mixed-Use By Urban Genesis

Urbannizer

9 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

From Hardy Yards to East River that's like 12 residential buildings less than a mile from each other, not including the two going up on the north side of MMP. 

I think that proximity really emphasizes the disconnection of the urban fabric between them more than anything else, to be honest.

The planned San Jacinto tunnel will help with that (for cars, at least - we'll have to wait for the plans to see if anybody else is considered), as will the completion of the north side Buffalo path to East River. 

But the street grid connections across 59 there feel really long, and I don't know if it's ever going to be possible to really restitch those neighborhoods at the street level.

Aerial gondolas from ER to MM and POST, on the other hand...😎

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, bobruss said:

In just my lifetime the neighborhood has been home to movie studios, the James Bute building housing tattoo parlors  artist studios, bail bondsmen, coffee importers, galleries, clubs, and coffee houses, and Mother Dog studios, and old narrow streets with old trees, bars, barbers, restaurants, more artist studios and Randal Davis first project.

And me! It was home to me for twenty years.

The story of the movie studio, with H. Milton Howe and Reggie Bowman, would make a great... wait for it... movie!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Cleaning out some old files (really old files), and I found the General Warranty Deed for the purchase of this site, dated March 8, 1977.  Seller was Robert Dunson (Federal Whse Company), who bought it from the original owner, Houston Sash & Door. The deed includes his payoff of the loan ($370K), before he could sell it to us.

This has nothing to do with anything, but I found it interesting.

813 McKee.pdf

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

I recently started managing Sterrett Street Studios that is adjacent to this and live across the street in William Street Lofts. It’s been interesting to say the least. I am curious what sort of ROW they have to place this trolley on Sterrett, I have heard they plan on making these 1 way streets w diagonal parking, but haven’t seen anything official. Does anyone know anything about this? Parking does get a little crazy during shows at last concert. Anyway I thought this plat map from 1864 the city sent me last week was cool, Sterrett is second street and I thought you all would appreciate a look inside a unit at William Street Lofts, the old Bienville Furniture Company building. 

IMG_9302.tiff

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...