Warehouse District: Mixed-Use By Urban Genesis

Urbannizer

7 hours ago, mgmort said:

Houston Sash and Door was my mom's family business. I have a photo of this warehouse hanging on my wall.

This picture was taken around 1918 or so, from the corner of Sterrett and McKee. The man standing in the doorway is my great-grandfather Moses Davidson, who owned the company, and the boy holding the horse over on the side is my grandfather, 10 years old. My grandfather worked for Houston Sash and Door (later Davidson Texas, Inc.) from when he was 8 until he passed at the age of 83.

It saddens me that at the very least the facade wasn't preserved, after all i've been staring at a picture of it my whole life.

What a great photo! Many years ago, I was friends (both personal & business) with Ralph Davidson. How are you related?

12 hours ago, astrohip said:

What a great photo! Many years ago, I was friends (both personal & business) with Ralph Davidson. How are you related?

Ralph was my mom's 1st cousin. His dad Mike (Bubba) Davidson and my grandfather Melvin (Mellie) Davidson were brothers. I remember Ralph fondly, he was always such a nice guy.

6 hours ago, mgmort said:

Ralph was my mom's 1st cousin. His dad Mike (Bubba) Davidson and my grandfather Melvin (Mellie) Davidson were brothers. I remember Ralph fondly, he was always such a nice guy.

He was. When we decided to dabble in the door finishing business (which eventually turned into a significant business for us), he introduced me to several (and I can remember him saying this) "people I needed to know". 

A story about the lone remaining building on the corner of where Urban Genesis is building, Black Bodega.

"Nestled in a century-old building holding down the corner of Sterrett and William streets in Houston’s Downtown Warehouse District is Black’s Bodega, one of the city’s most treasured hidden gems."

https://www.houstoniamag.com/eat-and-drink/blacks-bodega-houston-warehouse-district-shop

• Like 6

On 7/15/2022 at 8:19 AM, hindesky said:

A story about the lone remaining building on the corner of where Urban Genesis is building, Black Bodega.

"Nestled in a century-old building holding down the corner of Sterrett and William streets in Houston’s Downtown Warehouse District is Black’s Bodega, one of the city’s most treasured hidden gems."

https://www.houstoniamag.com/eat-and-drink/blacks-bodega-houston-warehouse-district-shop

"An old furniture depot is being converted into a four-story loft building next door"

Only if "converted" means demolished and a new structure going up.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

"A forklift got caught in a power line in Houston's Warehouse District Wednesday morning, knocking out power for the area and creating a dangerous mess."

https://www.khou.com/article/news/local/watch-forklift-drags-down-power-line-in-houstons-warehouse-district/285-7cc525c4-3d6a-4291-aa6b-ed3bb821f9ae

Edited by hindesky
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1