Warehouse District: Mixed-Use By Urban Genesis

Urbannizer

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

This is the kind of urbanize we love to see

It will be interesting to see what becomes of this area after NHHIP. It may end up being the first neighborhood to be improved by a downtown highway widening project.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 004n063 said:

It will be interesting to see what becomes of this area after NHHIP. It may end up being the first neighborhood to be improved by a downtown highway widening project.

That plus UHD expansion. I think this area is bound to be one of the most energetic neighborhoods in the city

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, J Money said:

That plus UHD expansion. I think this area is bound to be one of the most energetic neighborhoods in the city

As a musician that had a studio at Sterrett St for quite a while, I always found this little area to be quite unique and a lot of fun to walk. Here's to hoping that with new construction the vibe stays somewhat the same.

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

I have two minor complaints about this project: nothing but garage on all the ground floors, and sidewalk interruption for the food trolley.

That said, I wonder if the design would make it easier to convert parts of the garage to GFR later on? The facade work is nice.20240312_133757.jpg.8ce74666ad9a6ac676894dc36505d2ed.jpg

Also, the brickwork - especially on the easternmost building - is really nice, in my opinion.

20240312_133333.jpg.e57ccdaa29f072ea24de3d0fb81de652.jpg

• Like 8

2 hours ago, hindesky said:

It was built like this on purpose, in case of flooding only the garage will flood and not the apartments. Same for the McKee because it's even closer to Buffalo Bayou.

0971nin.png

u87aOSD.png

Ah okay. Makes a lot of sense.

3 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Plus the North Canal will cut right through here

North Canal won't be any closer to Warehouse District than Buffalo Bayou already is, its intent is to not let the water back up due to choke points that caused the flooding downtown.

rKQHGEQ.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, hindesky said:

North Canal won't be any closer to Warehouse District than Buffalo Bayou already is, its intent is to not let the water back up due to choke points that caused the flooding downtown.

rKQHGEQ.jpeg

Interesting, I didn't know that southern parcel of land would still be open for development. I thought it was going to cut all the way through the Metro bus area. I hope another McKee style apartment complex is built there. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Interesting, I didn't know that southern parcel of land would still be open for development. I thought it was going to cut all the way through the Metro bus area. I hope another McKee style apartment complex is built there. 

Is the whole Metro facility there being decomissioned/demolished? If so, I completely agree - it would be great to enclose Sterrett.

• 3 weeks later...

I could see a large AT crane off in the distance from downtown and I was racking my mind as to what it could possibly be lifting. The building trapped the portable tower crane and it had no way to get out. Crane Master Inc. showed up to remove it.

0a3uDkj.jpeg

dMZUAO4.jpeg

ROnYdp7.jpeg

o6hRN1U.jpeg

N6Rs1Fu.jpeg

lHWvkwx.jpeg

I asked one of the workers when the Charles and the smaller building would be finished, he said probably in about 3 months.

eU7IiSQ.jpeg

enHQvHv.jpeg

OpkudEo.jpeg

8Xe2gS0.jpeg

eEHBpmX.jpeg

PfCvKhq.jpeg

• Like 9

On 3/14/2024 at 7:21 AM, 004n063 said:

Is the whole Metro facility there being decomissioned/demolished? If so, I completely agree - it would be great to enclose Sterrett.

On 3/14/2024 at 7:35 PM, j_cuevas713 said:

I believe so

No. Only the parts of the Metro facility shown in color on the above aerial shot will be decommissioned/demolished.

• 2 weeks later...

All 3 buildings have name.

"The first portion of the project, a 273-unit section called The Artist, is nearly a third occupied after opening in February. Another 31-unit building, called Muse, is to open in May. Construction on the 184-unit Icon phase is expected to complete by September."

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/downtown-houston-affordable-apartments-housing-19400037.php

• Like 8