I-45 Rebuild (North Houston Highway Improvement Project)

On 7/27/2022 at 9:43 PM, texan said:

Apparently TxDOT has started demolition although I did not see it from I-69 when driving past earlier.

https://www.costar.com/article/1395175284/apartment-demolition-underway-for-interstate-45-expansion-in-houston

Can anyone confirm this? I have seen zilch on my morning commute, but it's not like I get a good look from the side of a moving car.

per the Board Packet for Downtown Redevelopment Authority's August meeting:

Central Houston has facilitated discussions with TxDOT, the City, the Coalition, and a prominent local developer to determine if the 2 buildings that TxDOT acquired that it doesn't need for the Project can be rehabilitated as affordable housing.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

per the Board Packet for Downtown Redevelopment Authority's August meeting:

Central Houston has facilitated discussions with TxDOT, the City, the Coalition, and a prominent local developer to determine if the 2 buildings that TxDOT acquired that it doesn't need for the Project can be rehabilitated as affordable housing.  

Can't wait to hear what the Stop I-45 group says now.  

2 hours ago, texan said:

They're really fighting hard to save this parking garage!

Of course. Parking garages are endangered. Posters on this site have argued for the murder of parking garages, as if they don't deserve to exist. Parking garages have feelings too, you know. First they come for your parking garage, then they come for your surface parking lots. 🤣🤣🤣

(this is a probably lame attempt at humor)

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, august948 said:

Sure, well done Greg from Gregg County, I am confident he was totally behind this. Must’ve been keeping him up for nights. Likely #2 priority for him after making sure there are no dead intrafetal dead babies. (Not to worry, extrafetal totally copacetic.)

Edited by mattyt36
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Do I understand this correctly?
We give TXDOX a few billion dollars, part of which is used to buy a fairly new apartment complex as if it was a Happy Meal.
"Hmm," says TXDOT, "guess I wasn't as hungry as I thought. But we'll toss it in the trash anyway. Not that it's in the way or anything,,,,"
Someone pipes up, "Or maybe low income people who need it could have it."
TXDOT shrugs. "Whatever. Who cares."
And the people rejoice at TXDOT's altruism and sensible use of their tax dollars. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, emmanume said:

There are some good concepts presented in the document, but these particular photos/renderings are a bit disingenuous.  They portray one of the spots where the freeways are being relocated to, but they don't show us before and after of any of the spaces that will be cleared of freeways.

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

There are some good concepts presented in the document, but these particular photos/renderings are a bit disingenuous.  They portray one of the spots where the freeways are being relocated to, but they don't show us before and after of any of the spaces that will be cleared of freeways.

I was about to say the same thing, new views will open up elsewhere from it being moved. 

2 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

When you consider how many people use these spaces daily, these photos are an important reminder of how their spaces will be affected. Especially for those whose homes are not being affected. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

Yeah I had the same thought. How about before/after of 59/69 being covered by a highway cap?

• Like 3

On 9/8/2022 at 1:27 PM, Houston19514 said:

23 hours ago, iah77 said:

I was about to say the same thing, new views will open up elsewhere from it being moved. 

it's not just about the views, it's about the impact to those living near, and the impact to the wildlife of the area.

removing freeways you don't have to worry so much about how it will negatively impact those living in the immediate area, or the impact to wildlife, do you? ignoring as well the possibility of the greenway that DT Houston has suggested might happen. the West, South, and East of downtown is very well served as far as that goes.

as far as views being opened up, literally, the only views that will be better will be between W. Dallas and 59 interchange, basically, the stretch of the Pierce Elevated. 

the downtown connectors for the west side of downtown are going to be more impactful to views than the current freeway structures. the illustration from TXDoT that shows the elevation next to Sabine street lofts, the new structure is going to be even higher than the existing structure. and that cutaway is cleverly placed away from any flyover ramps, which will make the elevation even higher. good times.

https://www.txdot.gov/content/dam/project-sites/nhhip/docs/segment-3-pm4-exhibit-01-overall.pdf

image.png.90d187bb6e1cc63461d04ee9359b2a3d.pngimage.png.f4a2cd7cd8603810cb5116a7eda25b7d.png

on the plus side though, at least the west side of downtown will receive better local connectivity with Houston getting connected to Allen Parkway, and the sunlight that will get into that area of BBP should be greatly increased. so good for those living in close proximity to that area of downtown.

on the east side of downtown, yes, we'll have a section of freeway that is below grade, but for the distance that will be below grade, we'll have an uninterrupted view of the back side of the convention center, or a great view of the back side of the baseball stadium. .. otherwise the interchanges between 59/45, and 59/45/10 will all be well above grade, so no real improvement there. 

Edited by samagon
  • Like 1