East End Restaurant And Bar Scene - More Coming

Within 5 minutes of each other along Lawndale...

Lawndale Tapioca (Chinese on the go) - Vietnamese sandwiches, bun, pho etc. (corner of Lawndale & 75th, on the shopping center N of CVS, between the new 99 cent store and the bank)

La Victoria - Mexican bakery and kitchen (past Lawndale and 75th going E, to the right after a bit)

Dinner Bell - American diner and bakery, mainly for the bakery but the diner is OK (corner of Lawndale & S Wayside, N of Villa Del Matel), bakery opens early

Cafe Flores - good coffee, tea, dessert and sandwiches plus nice ambiance and live acoustic on weekends (corner of Lawndale & S Wayside, E of Villa Del Matel), think Starbucks but better and locally owned.

DD

For some of the best Mexican Food around....

When I moved to Tomball I would still make trips in...JUST for this place...but I am back on the East side now!

:wub:

El Jardin

7849 Harrisburg Blvd

http://www.b4-u-eat.com/houston/restaurant...ews/rsv0370.asp

http://www.sallys-place.com/food/dining_di...ica/houston.htm

Edited by EatSleepMOD

• 11 months later...
My cousin just moved in to the Eastwood area and is looking for a cool chill bar to go to? Can you please let me know where I can find any?

The only I know of is Lucky's.

Thanks.

Bohemeo's does drink setups. They're too close to a school to sell alcohol, unfortunately.

Otherwise, you're pretty limited to dives, like Mak's, which is on McKinney.

All along Harrisburg or Telephone Rd. Bullet proof vest not included. :lol:

But seriously if that person is dying for a drink and company just head to Midtown. At least he/she will have a choice of pretty women, unless prefers that Harrisburg/Telephone kind of gal/thing, etc.

All along Harrisburg or Telephone Rd. Bullet proof vest not included. :lol:

At least he/she will have a choice of pretty women, unless prefers that Harrisburg/Telephone kind of gal/thing, etc.

:o As a female Eastwood resident who has been to a bar on Harrisburg......and Lawndale.... I certainly hope you're not referring to moi. ;)

Admittedly, it ain't exactly hard to feel like a beauty queen at the Happy Days Lounge. The bar is, shall we say, low.

:o As a female Eastwood resident who has been to a bar on Harrisburg......and Lawndale.... I certainly hope you're not referring to moi. ;)

Of course not, you dont seem like the trigger happy, gun-slinging, Annie Oakley type.

This breed is commonly seen further down Telephone @ Tel Wink Grill and beyond all the way to Hobby Airport.

Swanky joints like The Blue Cat Club, the Oriental Lounge, et al, appeal to some of our cowboys that pull into town on occasion. The wild, wild Southwest as they call it in these here parts. :P

Like the old saying goes " For every broken beer bottle & curb on Telephone Road, there's a broken heart". Bang, bang, Yeehah!

speaking of bar/cantinas...the city should tear down the dilapidated "El Destino" off Lombardy and Telephone....wow, what an eyesore...

are you crazy...we love passing by late at night...there is always something wierd happening there..usually a tv or something.

I could swear that low down dive has been closed for about 5 yrs? I had to grin remembering it was once called The Red Bull Lounge in early 80's. We always said it would be a great idea to build a morgue next door and a funeral home next to that since the death count was so high at that dump. Seemed like every other weekend it was the site of stabbings, shootings, drug busts, etc. I often wished if there were a train derailment we would cross our fingers that the train would roll right on top of that blasted bldg. B)

Couldnt help but notice the other day that chunks of the bldg are missing and has big holes in the walls. There was a former council member that said she would rid the East End of such pathetic derelic hangouts but once she got elected she fled for Austin and just giggled all the way like "see ya later suckers". :):mellow:

Admittedly, it ain't exactly hard to feel like a beauty queen at the Happy Days Lounge. The bar is, shall we say, low.

I agree, Happy Days has always been known as low end, but I guess the beer is priced right. That place has been there forever, my dad used to go there. I preferred the Kenny Stabler Diamondback Saloon myself, way back when, during the cowboy craze (remember that one?). I like "The Flying Saucer" now.

• 2 weeks later...
I could swear that low down dive has been closed for about 5 yrs? I had to grin remembering it was once called The Red Bull Lounge in early 80's. We always said it would be a great idea to build a morgue next door and a funeral home next to that since the death count was so high at that dump. Seemed like every other weekend it was the site of stabbings, shootings, drug busts, etc. I often wished if there were a train derailment we would cross our fingers that the train would roll right on top of that blasted bldg. B)

Couldnt help but notice the other day that chunks of the bldg are missing and has big holes in the walls. There was a former council member that said she would rid the East End of such pathetic derelic hangouts but once she got elected she fled for Austin and just giggled all the way like "see ya later suckers". :):mellow:

there's a yellow check mark on the building....I have a dumb question...what does the yellow mark mean? (demo?)

there's a yellow check mark on the building....I have a dumb question...what does the yellow mark mean? (demo?)

If you mean the cruddy Destino lets get ready for a party!

Wow what a dump! I passed by the other day and thought of all of these wonderful Haif a mites. The middle of the building has a huge smack where a truck or something crashed into it? I will personally jump in the seat of the bulldozer as it plows that old eyesore down forever. The new school is going up right across the street so lets hope they prevent another dive from popping up.

This whole corridor has so much potential with the new school coming. We can create a new topic like "what would you want to see built near this new school". :D

speaking of bar/cantinas...the city should tear down the dilapidated "El Destino" off Lombardy and Telephone....wow, what an eyesore...

The blasted Rustins Lounge on Telephone bend finally had its roof collapse! Yeah!

Formally the old much troubled Big Louie's bar for years it finally met its match, Thanks to Ike! The center roof is all messed up and hopefully will be flatened for all eternity. This would be a perfect spot for a grand gas station, I mean perfect. :)

• 3 weeks later...
My cousin just moved in to the Eastwood area and is looking for a cool chill bar to go to? Can you please let me know where I can find any?

The only I know of is Lucky's.

Thanks.

Don't know if anyone ever responded to you. Bohemeo's on Telephone is a grat coffee house/wine/beer/live music venue. Many of the local ice houses (like Mac's on McKinney near Cullen) are very friendly to newcomers to the area.

• 4 months later...

Try Hyunh's a new (5-month-old) Vietnamese restaurant in the corner of St. Emmanuel and Walker. It's a family-owned place, with good food and great prices (I think the most expensive thing on the menu is the Duck salad for $9.00! ) They also have some special stuff for breakfast on Saturdays. They have very good Vietnamese coffee (tastes chocolatish) Unimpressed by the desserts though.

There's a mall across the street On St. Emmanuel that has an Asian supermarket. Has anyone tried the Vietnamese restaurant inside that mall?

Yes, Huynh's is delicious, a nice little gem in that center. One night they said "Sorry, no time for carryout!" and then I later realized it was the day after the glowing review they got in the Chronicle, so I'm sure they were slammed with new business. If you go to Hung Kee a few doors down, skip the buffet and get the dumplings off the menu.

The restaurant inside the market is great! Excellent banh mi, and their other dishes are good too.

• 2 weeks later...
Try Hyunh's a new (5-month-old) Vietnamese restaurant in the corner of St. Emmanuel and Walker. It's a family-owned place, with good food and great prices (I think the most expensive thing on the menu is the Duck salad for $9.00! ) They also have some special stuff for breakfast on Saturdays. They have very good Vietnamese coffee (tastes chocolatish) Unimpressed by the desserts though.

There's a mall across the street On St. Emmanuel that has an Asian supermarket. Has anyone tried the Vietnamese restaurant inside that mall?

Maybe I'm just blind, but I ride by there about 3x a week on my bike, and I haven't seen it.

what corner is it on?

I love the fish ceviche and cold micheladas at connies at wayside. :)

You might also want to try chilo's seafood at 45 south at howard/bellfort. Don't take the kids though... the place seems to be full of druglords, human traffikers, and hitmen. But they do serve chips though. And the food is good.