4411 San Felipe: Office Building At 4411 San Felipe St.

On 11/22/2022 at 5:12 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Papercity reports Ciel, the ground floor restaurant and lounge at 4411 San Felipe, opens in December.

Here are several nuggets from yesterday's article:

"Co-owner Adel Sadek tapped his own architectural and design firm, Studio Five, to conjure a glamorous St. Tropez vibe for the 8,000-square-foot space."

"There’s a decidedly celestial aesthetic...High above diners’ heads is a faux sky adrift with fluffy clouds, with orb-shaped lights reflected against a mirrored ceiling to represent the planets in the night sky. French contemporary artist Philippe Shangti...was commissioned to create a trio of 12-foot paintings of bare women for the dining room, while a six-foot sculpture of Zeus — God of the sky, naturally — is splashed with hand-painted tattoos care of Mexican artist Karla de Lara."

https://www.papercitymag.com/restaurants/ciel-restaurant-houston-opening-4411-san-felipe-building-adel-sadek/

Renders included in the article

9tLPSlj.jpg

tWixtDk.jpg

Ciel hosted a family and friends event over the weekend. This is the ground floor restaurant and lounge at 4411 San Felipe, Suite 100.

Below are a few screenshots from the preveiw shared in Instagram and Tik Tok videos. 

And a brief walk-thru Tik Tok video of the first floor:

1PhIkRp.jpg

qZVFtqc.jpg

1id5QUP.jpg

• Like 1

After several private previews, Ciel opens to the public this evening.

A few details about the restaurant's interior from a press release:

"Named for the French word for “sky,” the interior features a 360-degree Barrisol Mirror ceiling fixture — the first in Houston, according to a release – that also helps with the room’s sound levels. Other interior details include imported Italian porcelain floors and marbled tables, blue velvet booths, and a hand-painted statue of Zeus."

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/ciel-restaurant-uptown-river-oaks-opening-date/

PKsHpAR.jpg

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

After several private previews, Ciel opens to the public this evening.

A few details about the restaurant's interior from a press release:

"Named for the French word for “sky,” the interior features a 360-degree Barrisol Mirror ceiling fixture — the first in Houston, according to a release – that also helps with the room’s sound levels. Other interior details include imported Italian porcelain floors and marbled tables, blue velvet booths, and a hand-painted statue of Zeus."

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/ciel-restaurant-uptown-river-oaks-opening-date/

PKsHpAR.jpg

Isn’t that Poseidon?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Naviguessor said:

It’s all just so tacky. I mean…the room needs something…but and hand painted statue of Zeus!? 

There's a speaker in the belly that calls out the name of the next party to be seated.

"McDanielson!  Party of tria!  You have traveled far from the Land of Sugar and been judged worthy, so rise and meet your destiny just past the salad bar!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

4 hours ago, LosFeliz said:

I thought it was Poseidon as well. Immediately thought why is the Sea God featured in a restaurant called Sky? And why is a Greek God in a French-named place? 

Poseidon is the Sea God, but that includes things like hurricanes, which explains the Houston connection. The French connection has to do with the Trojan prince Paris, who-

No, I'm kidding. All of this is just a Liberace fever dream.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
42 minutes ago, gene said:

i wonder how much longer Ciel will be open...........

The reviews are terrible for it. It is funny though how Eater Houston and Chronicle both had positive things to say about Ciel. Time will tell. The negative reviews remind me of Juliet on Westheimer (which I am surprised that place is still open). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Justin Welling said:

The reviews are terrible for it. It is funny though how Eater Houston and Chronicle both had positive things to say about Ciel. Time will tell. The negative reviews remind me of Juliet on Westheimer (which I am surprised that place is still open). 

Where are you seeing the terrible reviews?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, gene said:

Yelp has it's fair share as well! 

Yelp is a joke.  There probably isn't a restaurant on the planet that doesn't have a fair share of terrible reviews on Yelp.

FWIW, Yelp reviews average out to 3.5 stars (the same as Tony's, one of Houston's most celebrated restaurants).  

Open Table reviews (much more meaningful than Yelp reviews) give Ciel 4.2 stars (and Tony's 5 stars).

Can one find terrible reviews for Ciel?  Yes, but if one goes looking for them, one can find terrible reviews for any restaurant.  Overall, I'm not finding anything to justify a blanket statement that "reviews are terrible".

• Haha 1

@Houston19514 The reviews are paragraphs long. If multiple people had such a poor experience that they would spend a decent amount of time to write it out, I think it is a sign. Maybe to clear up the confusion, since you do love to harp on tiny details, I should've said this:

Ciel has some pretty *interesting* one star reviews. Take that with what you will, but I would be hesitant to go after reading the ones on Google. 

Yea, you're right. Me saying the reviews are terrible is a blanket statement....But hey, what if you went to Ciel for a night out and see for yourself since you are so adamant that the reviews are pointless ;). Let us all know your experience. 

FWIW, it is getting old how you try to correct so many of us on this platform. 

Edited by Justin Welling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

Yelp is a joke.  There probably isn't a restaurant on the planet that doesn't have a fair share of terrible reviews on Yelp.

FWIW, Yelp reviews average out to 3.5 stars (the same as Tony's, one of Houston's most celebrated restaurants).  

Open Table reviews (much more meaningful than Yelp reviews) give Ciel 4.2 stars (and Tony's 5 stars).

Can one find terrible reviews for Ciel?  Yes, but if one goes looking for them, one can find terrible reviews for any restaurant.  Overall, I'm not finding anything to justify a blanket statement that "reviews are terrible".

i mean duh........................! i wouldn't say Yelp is a joke but of course you can't trust all reviews on there...haha 

of course even my favorite restaurants have bad reviews...i am just saying, when you look at the place you can tell it is already dated and just so tacky....some will love that and probably do... but  with the majority of reviews being bad i would say it's probably not great. I work in travel and when most people ask about hotels and say they look at tripadvisor i remind them they need to go with the general consensus...not just on one or two or even a handful of bad reviews. I am sorry you work there or know someone that does or have some vested interest in the place to make you SEEM defensive but look i don't want it to not succeed, i am just saying i bet it wont. BUT again, my favorite movies, bands, songs, hotels, restaurants all have bad review or aren't liked by someone...we will just wait to see what happens! i wish them luck!

Edited by gene
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, gene said:

i mean duh........................! i wouldn't say Yelp is a joke but of course you can't trust all reviews on there...haha 

of course even my favorite restaurants have bad reviews...i am just saying, when you look at the place you can tell it is already dated and just so tacky....some will love that and probably do... but  with the majority of reviews being bad i would say it's probably not great. I work in travel and when most people ask about hotels and say they look at tripadvisor i remind them they need to go with the general consensus...not just on one or two or even a handful of bad reviews. I am sorry you work there or know someone that does or have some vested interest in the place to make you SEEM defensive but look i don't want it to not succeed, i am just saying i bet it wont. BUT again, my favorite movies, bands, songs, hotels, restaurants all have bad review or aren't liked by someone...we will just wait to see what happens! i wish them luck!

.  Haifers love to go to the ad hominem.  I could not possibly have less connection to or interest in this restaurant than I do.  It looks interesting, unique...  I doubt I'll ever go there... just not my vibe.

I don't care if they have bad reviews or good reviews. Their success or failure will have no impact on my life.  I care about honest information.  When I see misstatements here, I'll point them out, as I did in this case.  

And speaking of misstatements, what review site shows the majority of reviews being bad?  A restaurant doesn't get 3.5 stars on Yelp or 4.2 stars on Open Table if you have more bad reviews than good.

Back to Yelp.  One doesn't even have to  dine in a restaurant in order to leave a review on Yelp.  It seems very odd, but restaurant owners will tell you that people do indeed write bad reviews of places in which they have never set foot.  I can't explain, just as I can't explain why people post obvious misstatements on forums such as this (and then get all butt-hurt when someone points out the inaccuracy). Tony's getting only 3.5 stars on Yelp tells you all you need to know about the reliability of Yelp reviews.

FWIW, there have been 67 reviews on Open Table (Open Table confirms that the reviewers have dined in a restaurant):

• 5 stars:  36 (54%)
  • 4 stars:    7  (so 64.2% gave it either 4 or 5 stars)
  • 3 stars:    5
  • 2 stars:    9
  • 1 star:     10
Edited by Houston19514
  • Haha 1

At the end of the day, this is just a forum. It is a place for us to share what we know, what we feel, what we are thinking, and ask questions. @Houston19514I knew the moment you asked me where I was seeing reviews, you were going to try to tell me how wrong I am (just based on your track record). Good to know that you treat exaggerations or any small side comments as objective statements. Not sure why? Maybe you just really like trying to prove people wrong to make yourself feel better (kudos to you). Anyways, learned my lesson to just not engage with you. 

Think about the impressions you are making. You take the joy out of this forum, and I am sure I am not alone in that feeling. I see how you respond to others, often condescending and in a negative tone. Wish you all the best and look forward to seeing more of your comments on the forum :). Always a pleasure....

• Like 2
  • Confused 1