METRO Next - 2040 Vision

yaga

32 minutes ago, iah77 said:

Why do they propose such nice things in areas where less people will use them while ignoring very dense areas like Gulfton where bus usage is very high? I feel they really need some program to promote density around the stations to make it actually work. Like the area around Shephard and 1-10 is literally an open stone counter place and not friendly to pedestrians etc.  

The design concept seems to be to serve the routes down major arteries, no?  Just like the CTA lines down the Dan Ryan and the Eisenhower.  Not that that makes it better . . . those aren't exactly the most hospitable stations.

Such are the difficulties in designing transit routes in a city with relatively low density.  A Rapid spur down Shepherd/Durham seems like it would be a no-brainer, though, although it would increase headways to the Northwest Transit Center.  Maybe a separate Rapid line down Memorial that turns on to Shepherd.

Oh well, can't have it all.

4 hours ago, iah77 said:

Why do they propose such nice things in areas where less people will use them while ignoring very dense areas like Gulfton where bus usage is very high? I feel they really need some program to promote density around the stations to make it actually work. Like the area around Shephard and 1-10 is literally an open stone counter place and not friendly to pedestrians etc.  

I spoke to someone from Memorial TIRZ and they said the station would upgrade all pedestrian infrastructure in the area.

Edited by j_cuevas713

Was looking back through the proposed stations maps and saw that the funded and planned, but temporarily pushed back bicycle connector from Cottage Grove to Memorial Park is not pictured (that I marked in red below) :(

They've evidently been waiting for 18+ months for railroad approval to go underneath the tracks and the funding has been pushed back to FY 2023. 

The project seemed in doubt to me because of TXDOT wanting to expand I-10 without an elevated platform. I guess this project is just in limbo. It is really inexcusable how inaccessible Memorial Park is to cyclists and pedestrians. 

TMai4uV.png

• Like 4

On 8/23/2021 at 8:50 AM, wilcal said:

Was looking back through the proposed stations maps and saw that the funded and planned, but temporarily pushed back bicycle connector from Cottage Grove to Memorial Park is not pictured (that I marked in red below) :(

They've evidently been waiting for 18+ months for railroad approval to go underneath the tracks and the funding has been pushed back to FY 2023. 

The project seemed in doubt to me because of TXDOT wanting to expand I-10 without an elevated platform. I guess this project is just in limbo. It is really inexcusable how inaccessible Memorial Park is to cyclists and pedestrians. 

TMai4uV.png

That’s actually one of the main reasons I never ride my bike that way. It almost seems like a hassle to get to Memorial Park. 

• Like 2

Big news, seems like things are proceeding smoothly for the University/Richmond line: 

https://twitter.com/Gail_HPM/status/1430925115617914887?s=20

Quick Edit for those who don't want to click: Metro voted today to commit 40 mil over the next two years to get the project's development started and Metro's presentation to the federal transit authority was "well received." 

Edited by X.R.
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4

Is there a reason that METRO doesn't get the project up and running early - on a much simplified scale - and then spend the next bunch of years building it fully out? One of the benefits of BRT is that is supposed to be relatively quick and easy. Even a low scale BRT - basically a glorified express bus - would show that something is happening now rather than waiting for years for a full scale project to be built out. I had a boss who would always quote the saying "The prefect is the enemy of the good".

47 minutes ago, Brooklyn173 said:

Is there a reason that METRO doesn't get the project up and running early - on a much simplified scale - and then spend the next bunch of years building it fully out? One of the benefits of BRT is that is supposed to be relatively quick and easy. Even a low scale BRT - basically a glorified express bus - would show that something is happening now rather than waiting for years for a full scale project to be built out. I had a boss who would always quote the saying "The prefect is the enemy of the good".

Good news, we've got a whole bunch of buses that run from Downtown to the NW Transit Center right now, so you can get a preview of the Inner Katy BRT already. Some even stop only a few times on the way.

In reality, when you lose the actual benefits of BRT, mostly separated lane/special buses/at-grade boarding in stations it doesn't make as much sense to run one super long route when it would overlap with a bunch of existing routes (like the university line). 

I do think that they will likely open up the project section by section and not wait until the entire thing is finished. 

• Like 1

On 8/26/2021 at 5:51 PM, wilcal said:

Good news, we've got a whole bunch of buses that run from Downtown to the NW Transit Center right now, so you can get a preview of the Inner Katy BRT already. Some even stop only a few times on the way.

In reality, when you lose the actual benefits of BRT, mostly separated lane/special buses/at-grade boarding in stations it doesn't make as much sense to run one super long route when it would overlap with a bunch of existing routes (like the university line). 

I do think that they will likely open up the project section by section and not wait until the entire thing is finished. 

Yeah this thing is 25mi long along the entire corridor. I would be really shocked if they don’t open it 1 segment at a time. I’m willing to bet they want to try to connect up Lower Uptown/Westpark TC to Wheeler quickly and get that open first

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BEES?! said:

Yeah this thing is 25mi long along the entire corridor. I would be really shocked if they don’t open it 1 segment at a time. I’m willing to bet they want to try to connect up Lower Uptown/Westpark TC to Wheeler quickly and get that open first

100% agree. As mentioned above, a good chunk of the engineering work is already done in those two sections, so I'm sure that will be the focus. Well, segments 1.5 and 2 since the current transit center would be partially into segment 1. 

I know that there was talk of making the I-10 BRT continue on to the Galleria/existing Silver Line so as to not force a connection. I wonder if they would do the same, at least temporarily onto the University BRT if they start with these two sections.

Would be kind of cool if a bus that starts at Wheeler continued Westpark/Lower Uptown TC then continued up to NWTC and then back to downtown. 

22 hours ago, wilcal said:

100% agree. As mentioned above, a good chunk of the engineering work is already done in those two sections, so I'm sure that will be the focus. Well, segments 1.5 and 2 since the current transit center would be partially into segment 1. 

I know that there was talk of making the I-10 BRT continue on to the Galleria/existing Silver Line so as to not force a connection. I wonder if they would do the same, at least temporarily onto the University BRT if they start with these two sections.

Would be kind of cool if a bus that starts at Wheeler continued Westpark/Lower Uptown TC then continued up to NWTC and then back to downtown. 

That’d be awesome. Like a circulator system. I’m curious to see what metro’s got in mind. (If this idea has been proposed. It’d be interesting)

Edited by BEES?!

16 minutes ago, BEES?! said:

That’d be awesome. Like a circulator system. I’m curious to see what metro’s got in mind. (If this idea has been proposed. It’d be interesting)

I've heard from a well-informed person that downtown to Galleria would likely be combined into a single line. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I lived right around the block from the Eastwood Transit Center for over 10 years. so many buses breaking laws, running stop signs, running red lights, straddling multiple lanes of traffic.

I still live in the area and still have to interact with that area from time to time, but I do so grudgingly (especially when the Amazon trucks are factored in). I fear this is only going to get worse for the Eastwood Transit Center, and other hubs of this BRT line.

that being said, this is going to be a much needed artery of our transit infrastructure and overall will be a huge win for the city. I just wish things weren't so bad in regards to a few bad drivers.

I guess the real thing that should be done is to encourage everyone reading to call the hotline and report the bus number when you see the event happen.

• Like 1

On 9/15/2021 at 10:18 AM, samagon said:

I lived right around the block from the Eastwood Transit Center for over 10 years. so many buses breaking laws, running stop signs, running red lights, straddling multiple lanes of traffic.

I still live in the area and still have to interact with that area from time to time, but I do so grudgingly (especially when the Amazon trucks are factored in). I fear this is only going to get worse for the Eastwood Transit Center, and other hubs of this BRT line.

that being said, this is going to be a much needed artery of our transit infrastructure and overall will be a huge win for the city. I just wish things weren't so bad in regards to a few bad drivers.

I guess the real thing that should be done is to encourage everyone reading to call the hotline and report the bus number when you see the event happen.

This is going to be a much needed upgrade to that street and for the area. I love the old charm of the neighborhood but infrastructure is still lacking, even with the Green Line running down Harrisburg. 

• Like 6

• 2 months later...

I'm disappointed they kept the routing around Afton Oaks from the gold University LRT alignment. The neighborhood concerns for LRT running through Afton Oaks just aren't as valid for BRT. Richmond is a 6-lane major thoroughfare there and BRT is perfectly appropriate along that road. Wealthy neighborhoods shouldn't be able to inconvenience all transit users just to maintain the "neighborhood charm" along a road that is laid out like a divided highway. Routing BRT south of 610 before Galleria makes the Newcastle stop almost worthless (there is a wall along the 59 feeder that blocks all foot-traffic north of 59 and rail corridor that blocks all foot-traffic on the east). They need to get the BRT into Galleria along Richmond. Use the existing Silver Line infrastructure (saving some money) at Richmond and LUTC so that University Line users can actually get into the Galleria without having to transfer to another line or foot it across a highway.

• Like 4

On 7/30/2021 at 5:11 PM, X.R. said:

Yeah the way I read it is the same as @Houston19514 . It sounds like the enviro studies and pre-construction stuff for the whole line is under-way and construction on the thing as a whole doesn't begin until 2025. At this particular meeting however, they chose to focus on that certain piece.

A significant date, since the whole Metro service area voted to have 78 miles of light rail finished by then.

10 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Wait so Segment 2 isn't just going to finish at the new Westpark Transit Center? Why wouldn't they get that section connected to the TC and then build off of that? Seems like an unnecessary delay to service. 

Metro is going to be building the entire line as one large project from what I was told. I don't think that they'll jump around. I may be misremembering, but I thought that there was mention of doing Westpark to segment 2 first, but that wouldn't make sense with the graphics they have released. 

• Like 4

A couple observations:

• In addition to the Edloe overpass being more convenient than crossing 69 at Weslayan, I think Metro also wants to get into the dedicated ROW as much as possible, and the old railway ROW is south of Westpark beginning at Edloe, getting the bus off the city streets for an extra half mile vs crossing at Weslayan.
  • I seem to recall reading that their plan was to do Segment 2 plus the part of Segment 1 connecting to the Westpark Transit Center first.  Though maybe that has changed and they will just start on it all at once?