METRO Next - 2040 Vision

yaga

has anyone heard anything about the courthouse extension for the green/purple line? it seemed like the most straight-forward project in METRONEXT and... yet... not a peep, even when they had a whole ass year to rip up the courthouse parking lot if need be. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/17/2022 at 12:40 PM, wilcal said:

How do you keep a rail in place if you are tunneling underneath it at this width?

Would they build a temporary bridge over the chasm to keep it going?

I just don't understand how they would keep it open if the first thing is to start removing utilities and dirt and the last thing is the build the new track, you know?

I've seen underpasses built under active rail lines before, with minimal service interruption.  I would assume (hope?) that TxDOT would do the same here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

In their last meeting, the Capital & Strategic Planning Committee provided an update on the Green/Purple Line LRT extension to Hobby Airport.

Not a whole lot of details on timeline, but it looks like it is in the works, so I’m guessing we’ll see more regular updates on this particular project. I think this is the first they’ve really started talking about this extension, so that’s good news! 

Info on page 22/87 of the July 2023 meeting packet.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, BEES?! said:

In their last meeting, the Capital & Strategic Planning Committee provided an update on the Green/Purple Line LRT extension to Hobby Airport.

Not a whole lot of details on timeline, but it looks like it is in the works, so I’m guessing we’ll see more regular updates on this particular project. I think this is the first they’ve really started talking about this extension, so that’s good news! 

This was good to see. It had to do with cooperating with other agencies such as TXDoT and  the city as those agencies move forward with projects in the area, so they can be sure such other projects are designed and built in a way that will accommodate Metro’s plans for the rail extension .

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Related to this thread, METRO is currently designing prototype bus shelters with solar-powered fans and mesh screens to allow better airflow beneath them. They mention in the article that the 82 Westheimer(which will be getting upgrades as part of METRO BOOST) will likely get some of these new shelters.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/transportation/article/metro-fan-bus-shelter-solar-power-18298783.php

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/6/2023 at 9:21 AM, BEES?! said:

Glad this was posted. I don't recall having seen the idea for bringing the lines together at Hobby before. Or maybe it's been some time?

oLpLylM.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

the green line extension will be a bit nightmarish around Milby HS.

there's a rail crossing at Broadway right there, which means grade separation for the LR, and with the HW3 split from Broadway so close to the rail line, the grade separation will include an overpass for that intersection. basically, there's no way to do a LR in front of Milby on Broadway without grade separation in front of the school. 

I don't see that happening without a fight.

not that there isn't really a better way, unless they turn on HW3, take that down to Park Place (which allows for a stop right in front of the Botanical Garden), toss in the railway overpass somewhere along HW3, which only adds .6 miles of track, but will surely avoid a costly political fight.

another nightmare for METRO will be 45/Broadway/Park Place, no matter how they align, it's going to go across there, and suck.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, samagon said:

the green line extension will be a bit nightmarish around Milby HS.

there's a rail crossing at Broadway right there, which means grade separation for the LR, and with the HW3 split from Broadway so close to the rail line, the grade separation will include an overpass for that intersection. basically, there's no way to do a LR in front of Milby on Broadway without grade separation in front of the school. 

I don't see that happening without a fight.

not that there isn't really a better way, unless they turn on HW3, take that down to Park Place (which allows for a stop right in front of the Botanical Garden), toss in the railway overpass somewhere along HW3, which only adds .6 miles of track, but will surely avoid a costly political fight.

another nightmare for METRO will be 45/Broadway/Park Place, no matter how they align, it's going to go across there, and suck.

What if it goes under? First subway tunnel in houston only to avoid that intersection

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, wilcal said:

Such a joke that METRO keeps building these parking garages with hundreds of free parking spaces. (in reference to the 500 parking space garage on Fulton at the new Northline Transit Center) when 3/4 of bus stops in their service area are just a post in the ground. 

FWIW, Metro is also engaged in a large bus-stop improvement project, including hundreds upon hundreds of new shelters.  (And, per this Chronicle article, before these new shelters, about 63% of Metro bus stops were without shelters.)  https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/transportation/article/metro-fan-bus-shelter-solar-power-18298783.php

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/articles/shows/houston-matters/2023/09/15/462560/solar-powered-fans-could-be-coming-to-houston-metro-bus-shelters/

"Fletcher said other cities are starting to take note of the idea and it could be a huge improvement if the fans make it out of the testing stages.

"Metro is leading the way," she said. "This is something that doesn’t exist, they can’t buy one (solar-powered fans) as far as I know, they’re not out there. So this is something metros developing and engineering themselves."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• The topic was pinned
  • 3 months later...

This can have monumental consequences for Houston if we are seriously thinking of cancelling most parts of Metro Next. This region is growing whether Metro grows or not and we can't build unlimited highway lanes into the city. There comes a point where we need mass transit. This Reddit thread is very troubling:

• Like 1

I have not watched the Board Meeting yet, but I did hear that a lot of public comments were anti transit. I don't understand why so many people are against progress as well. I am trying to remain optimistic.

Regardless, if you want more transit and you support these projects, try to speak at Board Meetings, send METRO a message (Home  | Submit comments to METRO | Customer service | Houston, Texas (ridemetro.org)), make an effort to ride the bus or train when you can, and/or reach out to your local leaders. It is clear that the small, yet now powerful anti-everything people are showing up and being extremely vocal. It is time for the people who do want these things to also be just as vocal. 

Edited by Justin Welling
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Justin Welling said:

I have not watched the Board Meeting yet, but I did hear that a lot of public comments were anti transit. I don't understand why so many people are against progress as well. Some bit of hope is that a lot of the projects they have started the planning work have FTA involved in some capacity. So, at the moment, I remain optimistic about University Corridor & Inner Katy. Gulfton BRT extension might be able to squeeze in as well. Personally, I am more concerned with projects that are further down the timeline, like the rail extension to Hobby airport and some of the smaller things like increase in local bus service.

Regardless, if you want more transit and you support these projects, try to speak at Board Meetings, send METRO a message (Home  | Submit comments to METRO | Customer service | Houston, Texas (ridemetro.org)), make an effort to ride the bus or train when you can, and/or reach out to your local leaders. It is clear that the small, yet now powerful anti-everything people are showing up and being extremely vocal. It is time for the people who do want these things to also be just as vocal. 

I was about to say the same thing. I think those 3 projects having the Feds involved is a really good thing. The University Corridor is almost finished with what it needs to finally start construction. 

• Like 1

I take any and everything posted on Reddit with a massive grain of salt.

I need to watch this board meeting to understand the context (And I've been so busy I haven't gotten around to it...), but it sounds like OP of that Reddit thread heard some anti-transit groups making comments on the floor at the meeting, the METRO board didn't reply to them, and so now s/he's extrapolating that to mean that the METRONext projects are in danger because the board's "silence [on the comments] speaks volumes". People are over there getting whipped up into a massive frenzy and you get the usual regurgitated Reddit talking points/ unhelpful sarcasm in the comments, and anyone with common sense gets buried in the hysterics.
🤦‍♂️

• Like 6

40 minutes ago, BEES?! said:

I need to watch this board meeting to understand the context (And I've been so busy I haven't gotten around to it...), but it sounds like OP of that Reddit thread heard some anti-transit groups making comments on the floor at the meeting, the METRO board didn't reply to them, and so now s/he's extrapolating that to mean that the METRONext projects are in danger because the board's "silence [on the comments] speaks volumes". People are over there getting whipped up into a massive frenzy and you get the usual regurgitated Reddit talking points/ unhelpful sarcasm in the comments, and anyone with common sense gets buried in the hysterics.
🤦‍♂️

I'm guessing you have it correct.  FWIW, public officials VERY rarely make any comment at all in response to public comments (i.e., the board's silence tells us absolutely nothing).  Those "pro-transit" Reddit commenters do not reflect well on the pro-transit community.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 5

The board's silence is a sign they are properly following the governing standard to which they tell the populace they're following. I won't put too much thought into judging their intentions from that.

METRO meetings adhere to Robert's Rules of Order, the boilerplate meeting format in the USA. Under RRO, a public comment section allows the public to talk about anything. Board or commission members may question them to gain better insight or understanding about the topic being spoken about, but they are disallowed from discussing the topic among one another or taking action such as a vote. 

If they find a public comment worth discussing, a member can request for the item to be placed on a future meeting's agenda. This ensures the public knows what's being discussed, and at what time and where. 

If they'd have discussed the merits of a transit project during public comment period, I'd have been alarmed and reported them. They had a quorum present.

Edited by JClark54
  • Like 6

31 minutes ago, JClark54 said:

If they find a public comment worth discussing, a member can request for the item to be placed on a future meeting's agenda. This ensures the public knows what's being discussed, and at what time and where. 

Also, during the monthly Public Safety, Customer Service & Operations Committee meeting they have a section for "Board Speaker Follow Ups". Oftentimes, they'll says like 10 speakers spoke, only 2 required a follow up. Most of the follow ups are due to service comments like an issue with a bus operator or an issue with METROLift scheduling. 

1 hour ago, JClark54 said:

The board's silence is a sign they are properly following the governing standard to which they tell the populace they're following. I won't put too much thought into judging their intentions from that.

METRO meetings adhere to Robert's Rules of Order, the boilerplate meeting format in the USA. Under RRO, a public comment section allows the public to talk about anything. Board or commission members may question them to gain better insight or understanding about the topic being spoken about, but they are disallowed from discussing the topic among one another or taking action such as a vote. 

If they'd have discussed the merits of a transit project during public comment period, I'd have been alarmed and reported them. They had a quorum present.

I thought maybe this was the case, but I didn't want to speculate too hard because I wasn't certain on the exact rules. But I don't think I've ever seen them really comment beyond "thank you" or to ask a clarifying question, no matter what the comment was.

It really does show pure ignorance on Redditors' parts. What, do they want them to bar certain people from being allowed to comment? I mean...

Edited by BEES?!
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, BEES?! said:

🤦‍♂️

That's good to hear. I wasn't able to watch the board meeting so I just went with what they posted. So thanks.

• Like 2