METRO Next - 2040 Vision

yaga

2 hours ago, Texasota said:

If anything I think there are still a few too many stops at the southern end of the stretch, but this is still all really good stuff.

Where are you seeing the stops?  I can't find that detail in the linked Chron article.  (EDIT:  Never mind.  I found it in the Metro link.)  FWIW, that section currently has 11 stops.  They are dropping it to 7 stops.  It looks like they are aiming to have a stop approximately every 1/4 miles. 

Speaking of the linked article, gotta love the Chron.  The graphics show a map of the two test routes next to renderings of a BOOST bus stop and a Metro bus.  All good. The caption for the graphic, however, is:  "The Texas Department of Transportation is making plans for a $500 million road project in Beaumont. The project would include widening parts of the roadway and constructing two-lane elevated flyover ramps where Interstate 10 and U.S. 69 converge. The agency is looking for residents’ help to determine what aspects of the project would best reduce congestion and improve mobility."   SMH

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

23 minutes ago, Texasota said:

Yeah, the fact that there is no marked pedestrian crossing between Holman and Cleburne is a problem. 

I also wonder if they could actually just run the 54 in the LRT lanes for whatever distance they share alignment.

The train and bus often are there simultaneously, so that's probably a no go.  A pedestrian controlled signal at the north end of the platform would be great, since that's where everyone crosses anyway

I think high quality bus stops on scott, with pedestrian oriented signals at both ends of the station, would be much better.  Every deviation from a straight path is frustrating when you're riding on the bus

I completely agree with that - I only mentioned it for this stretch because it might be possible to consolidate without rerouting the bus. The big questions would be how you transition the bus back onto Scott at Wheeler and how you handle the different station heights.

In reality I think you're right - it would be much simpler, cheaper, and faster to keep the bus in the street and add additional pedestrian crossings. I like the idea of using dedicated transit lanes anywhere it's possible though - but traffic is never that bad on Scott anyway at least. 

• Like 2

On 6/10/2020 at 4:44 PM, TheSirDingle said:

article: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/transportation/article/metro-bus-red-light-upgrade-BOOST-houston-15093723.php#photo-19105394

The digital signs are going to be pretty cool, and the other improvements add so much to the service.

Image of some of the improvements provided:

About the new change lights ability:

Basically this will bring METRO up to 21st Century standards as far as busing goes in major cities, which hey, better late than never. From the graphics shown on METROnext and the Chron article, this puts them in line with Busing that I saw in many European cities, particularly with my experience in German cities. Very happy about the colored warning strip platform edge. Electric signage for bus times, excellent. Better signage overall, thank you. This will definitely make it more noticeable that a bus network actually exists, and it goes to this location. For a long time the bus network was always so incognito. Now it seems METRO is actually proud of their bus network, and wants to make it more visible. More visibility, means more ridership. Who would have thought that if you actually put time and effort into the bus system it will actually do better. Shocker.

Again been really impressed lately with METRO. They are far from perfect, and they still have plenty of issues regarding other forms of transit, but they definitely have figured out what they need to be doing with Buses, and how it should operate to be a success.

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

I would also like to see renderings...

It really shouldn't take any property - there's just so much space there. Ideally they'd basically cap the freeway between Shepherd and Durham, but I have no idea what the most cost effective option would be. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Texasota said:

Wasn't it getting regional funding from/through HGAC though? They probably don't have final designs, but I would think they would at least need a solid set of alternatives by now.

Good thinking!! 

http://www.h-gac.com/2018-call-for-projects/submitted-application.aspx?id=340

http://www.h-gac.com/transportation-improvement-program/call-for-projects-uploads/1030201845847PM.pdf

• Like 2

On 7/1/2020 at 1:02 PM, Houston19514 said:

Great find! Thanks.

Hopefully the Raising Cane's stays.

Edit: Oh nevermind, that appears to be on the southside oh I-10.

• 2 months later...
  • The title was changed to METRO Next - 2040 Vision
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/3/2021 at 1:40 PM, crock said:

anyone else frustrated that they haven't used the pandemic to start building out/figuring out the courthouse lightrail stop?  it seems the most straight forward of the metro next buildouts/approved projects.  

That was the plan but the budget this year has it postponed for a while due to Covid. Prob another year or two. Focus is on the Inner Katy BRT.

Edited by j_cuevas713

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Super selfish post but here goes

When are the COVID schedules going to end for METRO?  I just started a job a block away from a park and ride, and the reverse commute bus used to go in front of our house but now only picks up downtown.  Does anyone have any info on when the park & rides and the network in general will go back to normal?

As a additional question, when do you think the express bus network will be implemented? Next few years, or closer to 2040?

2 hours ago, cspwal said:

As a additional question, when do you think the express bus network will be implemented? Next few years, or closer to 2040?

That's a million dollar question. Wasn't part of the bond vote, but I bet TXDOT will fund most of it. Crucial part is that the inner loop needs 2 way HOV lanes for it to work, and as far as I know only I-10 has 2 way HOB lanes.

13 hours ago, HouTXRanger said:

That's a million dollar question. Wasn't part of the bond vote, but I bet TXDOT will fund most of it. Crucial part is that the inner loop needs 2 way HOV lanes for it to work, and as far as I know only I-10 has 2 way HOB lanes.

290 has a new contraflow HOV lane, and that's something they might be able to implement on other freeways on the cheap

On 5/8/2021 at 1:07 AM, HouTXRanger said:

The express bus network was indeed part of the bond vote.

1 hour ago, Houston19514 said:

The express bus network was indeed part of the bond vote.

Looks like you are correct! The 2 way express lanes in and out of Houston to the P&Rs was indeed part of the vote.
image.thumb.png.3b99886e7d81b8c8d35e07b2511747ab.png
I was thinking of plans to connect these with 2 way lanes over 610 to allow region-to-region express busses, instead of just region-to-center express busses as the plan is now. My mistake.

• 2 weeks later...

Dug published an update to the University Line BRT.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/transportation/article/Hoping-for-federal-funds-Metro-trying-to-move-16200166.php

TLDR: Going to be "fast-tracking" the segments between Westpark/Lower Uptown TC to Wheeler and from Wheeler to Eastwood TC. Aiming for federal approval in Sept 23 and hoping for federal funds then and construction afterwards. 

This may not be true. Sounds like all 5 segments will be green-lit at once. 

Edited by wilcal
  • Like 6

57 minutes ago, wilcal said:

Dug published an update to the University Line BRT.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/transportation/article/Hoping-for-federal-funds-Metro-trying-to-move-16200166.php

TLDR: Going to be "fast-tracking" the segments between Westpark/Lower Uptown TC to Wheeler and from Wheeler to Eastwood TC. Aiming for federal approval in Sept 23 and hoping for federal funds then and construction afterwards. 

It makes sense, and I wouldn't be surprised if its because of pressure from entities within Uptown wanting to maximize the return on the Uptown BRT system. Its stupidly nice and while people are still slowing going back to normal why not begin the project. I've taken the BRT a handful of times, mostly for novelty and I'm near a stop, and I still don't know what I'm supposed to do with it unless I'm parking at my work and wanting to enjoy the galleria area.

Connect it to Wheeler though, and ooooo boy. You know how many people could go carless to work? Or go carless to the galleria on the weekend and enjoy themselves? I would bet a lot, a looot of money that businesses would see a crazy boon. Edit: also, housing in the area isn't gonna get any cheaper and this allows the peons like me to live elsewhere and maybe minimize car costs and still work in the galleria area.

Edited by X.R.
  • Like 1