Buffalo Bayou Master Plan

houstonfella

hopefully something will be named after him in this city, other than helping to grow Enron (which he left in 96) he has done a lot of really great stuff for Houston.

it probably mentions it in the article on click2houston, but there's a total of $310,000,000 federal, local, and philanthropic money (which includes Kinder). if I am reading things right, this donation put them over the threshold to start the project.

it's kind of obvious, but this plus east river, east end is is going to lose the status as an affordable inside the loop option.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, samagon said:

hopefully something will be named after him in this city, other than helping to grow Enron (which he left in 96) he has done a lot of really great stuff for Houston.

Kinder High School for the Performing and Visual Arts

Nancy and Rich Kinder Building at MFAH

Kinder Lake @ Discovery Green

Kinder Institute at Rice University

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

Kinder High School for the Performing and Visual Arts

Nancy and Rich Kinder Building at MFAH

Kinder Lake @ Discovery Green

Kinder Institute at Rice University

I was thinking more along the lines of a road being renamed. I'm sure there's some road named after a confederate supporter that still needs renamed.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, samagon said:

I was thinking more along the lines of a road being renamed. I'm sure there's some road named after a confederate supporter that still needs renamed.

The lower pedestrian only section of buffalo bayou has a "Kinder Footpath". Not quite a road, but it's a start ..

• Like 2

"The remaining city investments include a $19.5 million Hispanic History Research Center on Navigation, a $17.4 million capital improvement project with trails on Lockwood Drive, and $10 million for affordable housing."

Wow, that might be my favorite part of the whole thing. Trails on Lockwood?!?!

• Like 4

13 hours ago, 004n063 said:

"The remaining city investments include a $19.5 million Hispanic History Research Center on Navigation, a $17.4 million capital improvement project with trails on Lockwood Drive, and $10 million for affordable housing."

Much needed too. I've hiked that trail to at least Marron Park. It gets so spotty in a few areas. Would definitely be a lasting transformation if implemented.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 004n063 said:

I love this as well. they better sync up with Metro on their BRT to make sure there's alignment.

I was talking to a friend last night about EE near the bayou.

between this and East River, both will be nearing completion in 10 years. I told him to get in now, in 10 years the area will be unrecognizable and not anywhere nearly as affordable.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, samagon said:

I love this as well. they better sync up with Metro on their BRT to make sure there's alignment.

I was talking to a friend last night about EE near the bayou.

between this and East River, both will be nearing completion in 10 years. I told him to get in now, in 10 years the area will be unrecognizable and not anywhere nearly as affordable.

Absolutely. Bullish on that whole area going forward. Not optimistic as a whole on real estate next few years, but long term, if I have money on the sidelines I would definitely throw some into East End.

• Like 3

On 9/27/2022 at 4:05 PM, samagon said:

Avenida De Las Americas is a mouthful. Could rename it to Richard Kinder Blvd.

Or you rename the Downtown portion of Dallas Street too to avoid confusion with W Dallas St. But that might more work with changing addresses than renaming ADLA. 

2 hours ago, tigereye said:

Avenida De Las Americas is a mouthful. Could rename it to Richard Kinder Blvd.

Or you rename the Downtown portion of Dallas Street too to avoid confusion with W Dallas St. But that might more work with changing addresses than renaming ADLA. 

Given our current zeitgeist, I don't think renaming a road from Spanish to honor a white guy is going to fly.

• Like 1

Purchased a home off Lockwood and Harrisburg in summer of 2020 and have been waiting for this to kick off! I too might be most excited for Lockwood to be repaved and have green bike lanes added to connect to the bayou trails. 🥳

Edited by pm91
  • Like 4

• 4 months later...

Brookings has a nice write-up on the Buffalo Bayou Partnership:
How Houston is connecting two disinvested neighborhoods to green space and amenities

"A concentrated effort is now underway to connect the Greater East End and Fifth Ward neighborhoods to the city’s critical natural asset, and provide residents with the many amenities that have long been available west of downtown. This blog tells the story of this journey, through the lens of my place governance organization, Buffalo Bayou Partnership (BBP)..."

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...