Name That Neighborhood - Southern Part Of Downtown

Howard Huge

I'll be that guy....

What name shall we christen this new "mini-neighborhood" with?

- Block 334

- Skyhouse

- Skyhouse Main

- Houston House Apartments

- The Beaconsfield Condos

- Allied Orions Pappas BBQ apartments

- Leon Capitols midrise

- Camden's twin Toyota Center Towers

- 1810 Main street apartments

If anyone says "Sodo" I'm gonna track your ip address and hunt you down...

I've called it "Leeland" a couple of times to people.  It's not super accurate since Leeland runs all the way out into the East End past Scott street though

South Downtown (no freaking abbreviation of it though - I don't want to live in a soda)

I'll be that guy....

What name shall we christen this new "mini-neighborhood" with?

- Block 334

- Skyhouse

- Skyhouse Main

- Houston House Apartments

- The Beaconsfield Condos

- Allied Orions Pappas BBQ apartments

- Leon Capitols midrise

- Camden's twin Toyota Center Towers

- 1810 Main street apartments

If anyone says "Sodo" I'm gonna track your ip address and hunt you down...

Skyhouse Village

Actually that was a joke, but you should consider since the Co Cathedral is actually in the very center of all of this residential

activity perhaps somehow referring to it in some way. Remember there are two large projects going up right around it also so you have residences or hotels to the east , North, South and west of it. This is really going to be a densely populated area and with the rail right there it should be a popular place to live. Hopefully now with the downturn in development some of the small one and two 

story buildings will turn into neighborhood bars, restaurants and retail and service type businesses.

What shall we call it?

Well, Houston like calling areas of downtown "Districts". So, let's start with that......

Now, it's also residential..... And

Given that Light rail runs right through it, how about:

"Residential Rail District"? (RRD)

Or, maybe since Main Street is in the mix of it:

"Main Residential District"? (MRD)

Ok, both suck..... But, how about something with "District"???????

According to the Downtown Management district, part of it ("north" of Pease, "west" of San Jacinto) is in the Skyline district, while the rest is in the medical district 

http://downtownhouston.org/districts/

There definitely is room to cut out a new district for these residential buildings.  "Skyhomes" district might work - it plays on the skyline district and on the 2 Skyhouse towers, without naming them specifically

post-13944-0-10969100-1453227036_thumb.j

Just throwing some thoughts out there. If based on direction it could be called Downtown South, if based on major landowner,  which is the Roman Catholic church, it  could be called little Rome or something suggestive of Rome.I would not try to "New Yorkize" the name. As much as I admire New York City , I think it is a bad idea to always do a "me too".

According to the Downtown Management district, part of it ("north" of Pease, "west" of San Jacinto) is in the Skyline district, while the rest is in the medical district 

http://downtownhouston.org/districts/

There definitely is room to cut out a new district for these residential buildings.  "Skyhomes" district might work - it plays on the skyline district and on the 2 Skyhouse towers, without naming them specifically

attachicon.gifDowntown Districts c 2016.JPG

The map shows how arbitrary those "districts" were.  I think they were based on wishful thinking more than anything else.  Seriously, "Shopping District"?  I think no.

Does anyone remember back in the late 1990s there was a plan floated about for downtown revitalization that included a "Cathedral Square" and a street running east-northeast from there to the Convention Center (through what was then mainly vacant blocks)?  I'm thinking that used the name Cathedral District, which seems to me as reasonable as anything.  

Old (2014) Southern downtown plan: http://www.downtownhouston.org/site_media/uploads/attachments/2014-06-18/Southern_Downtown_Public_Realm_Plan_Final_For_Web_Compressed.pdf

No names were mentioned, but there are interesting tidbits - the two mid-rises going up near the Co-Cathedral should have a dog run and a plaza on Caroline.

It mentioned "Cathedral Square" once, but I didn't see a location or any new street

Create new focal points around the Christ Church Cathedral and Sacred Heart Co-Cathedral, such as the proposed Cathedral Square. Integrate compelling green space into expanded campuses.

I found a diagonal street! On page 55 of this pdf

http://southmainalliance.org/Portals/0/PDFs&Docs/MSCPlan11-00.pdf

It looks like it was going to start at St. Joseph & Main, and run to Discovery green to a traffic circle made there in front of GRB

Drawing a line on a map, it looks to go through:

• a bit of the Amegy bank building, but not the tower itself
  • the parking lot for the Co-Cathedral bounded by Pease/Fannin/Jefferson
  • Through the Zydeco diner behind Houston House, almost directly
  • Through a lot of parking lots (though possibly clipping Brown Book shop & Athens Hotel)
  • It goes straight through the Embassy Suites
  • It also seems to think that the Toyota center would have been centered on the block where the Goodyear next to the Houston House is now, and would only requiring closing Leeland, Bell, and San Jacinto to build

This area needs a park.

I think when we get the park down here, we will have our neighborhood name, ala "Market Square" and "Disco Green."

But what would we call this southern downtown park?

"Cathedral Park" has a pretty BADASS ring to it...

- Where in downtown do you live?

"Oh, down in Cathedral Park."

I like it.

Archived