Sage as of 6/30/1969

Open Mon. thru Fri., 9:30 AM - 9 PM

Saturday 9:30 AM - 7 PM

Loop 610 at Beechnut

Monroe St. exit - Gulf Freeway

Buddy Sussman's Sage Liquors; 4645 Beechnut at Post Oak -- 8655 Gulf Freeway

Edited by Marty

Sage as of 6/30/1969

I went to Sage at 610 and Beechnut a lot when I was a kid. Sage was kind of the first Walmart. They sold everything. After they closed, the family opened Arnies Warehouse, which is still there.

This thread is great. Lot's of memories. I knew Don's step son real well. He had a room at his house stacked from floor to ceiling with records.

I didn't see a mention of White's Auto. They did car repair and also sold appliances and furniture.

Another great record shop was Lew's Records. They had the little enclosed booths with turntables and headphones that you could take a record in and listen to.

I remember a White's Auto at the corner of Airline & Little York across the street from Eagles in the early 80's.

Edited by Marty

I went to Sage at 610 and Beechnut a lot when I was a kid.

Plus your grocieries traveled on a roller conveyor that went through the wall and along the outside of the building. Pretty cool stuff when you're 7 years old.

Edited by SecondTour

When my son,who is now 31 was baby we would go to the Sage at Monroe and 45.They had good deals on diapers and formula.Does anyone know when it was built? I don't remember it being very new when I went there.

If you know the exact address you might try the Harris County Appraisal District but they can be off by a couple of year's.

link...http://www.hcad.org/records/default.asp

Edited by Marty

I can't imagine how that worked?

If you wanted your groceries sent to the pick-up window, they gave you a tag with a number corresponding to the number on a plastic crate. They loaded your groceries in the crate and they traveled along the track to the place where they were stored until you drove up to the window. They would bring out the crate and load the groceries in your car.

The Henke and Pillot store in Meyerland used to do this back in the late 50s and 60s. One time my mother had her groceries sent to pick-up and forgot about them. We drove home and when we got out of the car she realized that she had forgotten them. We got back in the car and went to get them. I don't think she ever used the pick-up window after that.

Plus your grocieries traveled on a roller conveyor that went through the wall and along the outside of the building. Pretty cool stuff when you're 7 years old.

Was there any other stores in Houston that had this service?

• 1 month later...
OK it seems like there was a Globe store on 59 North (maybe near Little York) that also had the name Jubilee City at one time. I remember going there with my grandparents.

I think the building still stands.

Yes, it is Sak and Save now and barely survived T.S. Allison.

I don't remember it ever being called "Jubilee City" but it has been a flea market on at least two different occassions before becoming Sak and Save.

Anyone remember "Shopper's Fair" on Crosstimbers and Shepard?

I know of two supermarkets. One on Airline @ Little York called Eagles. Across the street from it was a old gas station. The owner had a monkey inside of the gas station, I'm talking late 70's. Also there was a supermarket called Richy's on Aldine Westfield @ Hopper Road. Great memories there. The owner died in the early 1990's

I live in close proximity to Richie's #3...it has been through two or three owners since the family who owned it (yes, they are still around...just not in the grocery business anymore). It is now a "Rancho something-or-another". At one time, there were three Richie's:

#1 was on East Mt. Houston between 59 and Hirsch Road...it is still a grocery store.

#2 was on Langly between Hirsch and 59 and in close proximity to the old Globe (now Sak and Save)- this building no longer exists.

FYI from a northside boy.

Who remember the "Tiddy's" store in Pasadena?

I do. It took a lot of whining to get my mom to take me there, but eventually it became a yearly ritual to go to the Tiddy Factory for that summer's pair. Then there was the yearly ritual of developing the summer Tiddy blisters, which eventually turned into Tiddy calluses.

I remember years later they licensed them to chain shoe stores, but those were never as good as the ones we bought at the factory.

If you've never heard of them, Tiddys were sandals made from 2 or 3 layers of foam rubber, held to your feet with loops of surgical tubing. Very simple, very comfortable.

Thanks Sandy! Great information. I was raised in Sharpstown during the 70's. Went to Sutton Elem., Jane Long JR., and Sharpstown SR. High. My grandmother lived on Lake in West U. I actually live in San Antonio, but travel back time to time to see relatives and friends. I'm working in Little Rock, AR right now.

Y'all are sure making me homesick. Alpha, I grew up the next street over from you on Swarthmore. Mom used to shop at JMH (Milton) and Weingartens as well. I remember her telling me about the little park where JMH used to be, but have never seen it. Need to make it back down there someday. Great memories - thank you.

Who remember the "Tiddy's" store in Pasadena?

I remember a stoner friend of mine taking me to Pasadena in the early 70's to get a pair of Tiddy's. This place wasn't a factory but more like a garage. I picked out the material, either thick or thin, kind of like Piazza Hut. The guy made them on the spot for me. Maybe this was before he had a factory, or it was just some guy who was selling knock-offs. All I know is that they were genuine Tiddy's with the authentic logo. They were a hit when I went to go visit some friends in California. Some girlfriend finally talked me out of them. I didn't really care because I was a "deck shoe" kind of guy back then anyway. Perry "Top Sider" moccasins from the "Ships Store" at Seabrook Shipyard was my footwear of choice back then.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The OLD Meyerland Plaza was really nice to go to in the 70's. I distinctly remember going to a restaurant with family all the time and there was a toystore a couple of doors down. I saw a few movies in that theater back then also. I also remember before they built ALL the new stuff there like Kmart and Bed, Bath & Beyond, that they had converted the old buildings into a huge antiques flea market of sorts, and it also was a fun place to go shop.

Edited by TJones

The OLD Meyerland Plaza was really nice to go to in the 70's. I distinctly remember going to a restaurant with family all the time and there was a toystore a couple of doors down. I saw a few movies in that theater back then also. I also remember before they built ALL the new stuff there like Kmart and Bed, Bath & Beyond, that they had converted the old buildings into a huge antiques flea market of sorts, and it also was a fun place to go shop.

And we all know how much you secretly love Bed Bath and Beyond..... :lol:

Now that you mention TG & Y, has it been talked about much om Haif?

They were pretty good with novelty toys like Woolworth and Grant's.

Can't help it, this time of year reminds me of the fun old days in those great store's and their fantastic hamburgers and toys, toys, toys! Yeah! :lol:

Now that you mention TG & Y, has it been talked about much om Haif?

what i remember most about tg&y - as a kid - was the large wireframe bin stacked full of those thick balloons with the rubber bands on the end to bounce against your fist. those and it seems like they had a lot of hippety-hoppies too (the balls with the handle on top that you sit on)

what i remember most about tg&y - as a kid - was the large wireframe bin stacked full of those thick balloons with the rubber bands on the end to bounce against your fist. those and it seems like they had a lot of hippety-hoppies too (the balls with the handle on top that you sit on)

Yeah, those ballon ball thingies were painted in rainbow like colors and you could have contests as everyone counted the times you smacked it like those paddles with the red ball.

There was a TG & Y in that shopping center on Lawndale at 75th, right in the corner (now a crappy $ store) Tiny bldg next to it had expensive beauty salon and barber. Area had better paying clientel then.

TG & Y also had best popcorn and those black N white photo booths like Woolworth. :P