Historic Houston Shopping Places

citykid09

• 3 years later...

Wacker's 5 &10 @ Chimney Rock and Bissonnet, there was an A&P grocery store in that center too. Prince's Hamburger, Griffs Hamburgers and a Kipp's Big Boy restaurant. Not sure why I'm remembering all of these 'fast food' restaurants...we rarely ate at any of them back in the day, but there was a Der Wienerschnitzel on Hillcroft.

Edited by HollyL

Incredible Universe off 610.....alot of fanfare only to fizzle away

Cloth World.....lasted long...the strip centers they were in turned seedy and that was it

Kinney Shoes...lasted long also....payless hurt them but they also were located smack dab in the middle of communities and off the major roadways...usually when the neighborhood dried up, they went with it

what about Buster Brown shoes

• 4 weeks later...

I remember when Der Wienerschnitzel opened. About 1970 I would guess. Seems like it was at Hillcroft and Bissonet. Not sure after all these years. I remember sitting with my dad at an outside table there for lunch. 

There is at least one Der Wienerschnitzel still in Dallas......

What did the HEB Pantry in the Heights used to be prior to 1997?

Moore's (IIRC), a one off grocery store.  It made the Pantry look luxurious and roomy - partially because of a giant wall that mostly cut off the larger part of the store in back.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The old original downtown library building has an archives section with microfilms of the original Houston phone books, both white pages and yellow.  A good source is the 1962 yellow pages.  Remember when phone number started with 2 letters?  Which is why we still have little letters on our phones.  We can tear up and rebuild structures, but the geographical postal addresses remain the same.

The Texan Drive In on Hempstead at Long Point is now a vacant lot.  I was able to scrape away some dirt and find the remains of the old black & white tiles on the slab that was the kitchen.  The guys from Cy-Fair would come down to the Texan wearing their FFA jackets and greasy hair looking for a fight, and usually found one.

Cafeterias were always part of Houston's unique culture where our parents would take us 'out to eat.  L & C and other that I can't remember.  The food was good and was a treat.  Clayborns on Bissonnet still maintains the original high quality that we got spoiled on, but don't try it on Mother's day.

The Texan Drive In on Hempstead at Long Point is now a vacant lot.  I was able to scrape away some dirt and find the remains of the old black & white tiles on the slab that was the kitchen.  The guys from Cy-Fair would come down to the Texan wearing their FFA jackets and greasy hair looking for a fight, and usually found one.

That area is all pretty much developed now. I think what was the drive-in was what is now Fairway Park Drive and the industrial buildings around it. Just to northwest of that (directly next to it) is a triangular-shaped vacant lot. A warehouse sat on the property as recently as 2006, with another rustier shed sitting hidden by trees as late as of 2012.

tl;dr I think you're mistaken.

Edited by IronTiger

Cafeterias were always part of Houston's unique culture where our parents would take us 'out to eat.  L & C and other that I can't remember.  The food was good and was a treat.  Clayborns on Bissonnet still maintains the original high quality that we got spoiled on, but don't try it on Mother's day.

Two cafeteria chains in Houston I remember are Wyatt's and Piccadilly. My parents would take us to the Wyatt's on 43rd at Ella occasionally for lunch after church on Sunday's. There was a fountain in the middle of the dinning room and an "attendant" always carried my tray to the table since I was just a little guy at the time. Those employees were invariably ladies wearing a dress with a white apron and a white folded cloth hat that looked quite a bit like the one my mother wore to work (she was a nurse).

I think there may still be a Piccadilly Cafeteria in Almeda Mall. I know there used to be one at its twin, Northwest Mall.

Edited by Specwriter
  • Like 1

Yes, I can remember we've talked about Weldon's in the past, maybe not on this thread.  Miss that one.

There was a Piccadilly at 7750 W. Bellfort also that closed in the last year or so; I think the building has already been leveled.  That would have opened ca. late 70s, early 80s (W. Bellfort didn't even go through until about that time).

In the 60s there was a Pickwick Cafeteria in Freeport.  I'm sure that must have been a chain but I don't know if they had any locations in Houston. Then there was Furr's and Albritton's.  I never went to a Furr's and went to the Albritton's on Waugh maybe 2 times but I think there were other locations.

Weingartens was always the more upscale grocery outlet.  Family sold out and retired.  The one on Long Point is now a 'supermercado'.

The Thunderbird Drive-In Movie on Clay Rd is now a business park.  With the girls in the back seat, we used to sneak in a couple guys in the trunk and always got away with it.

Dobbs House diner at the corner Long Point and Wirt is still there but is now an auto parts dealer.

• Like 1

Prices' Hamburgers on Wirt just south of Long Point is now a parking lot for a Mexican oyster bar.  There is a McDonalds next door.  Prices had the 19 cent burgers that we splurged on with our dates after cruising Long Point.

Playland Park on S. Main at Murworth is long gone - now an abandoned parking lot for the Astrodome.  A popular place to take dates, especially the 'wild mouse' ride.  Their racetrack was where A.J. Foyt got started.  Their entrance was flanked by tall multi-colored neon that resembled toothbrushes.

Two cafeteria chains in Houston I remember are Wyatt's and Piccadilly. My parents would take us to the Wyatt's on 43rd at Ella occasionally for lunch after church on Sunday's. There was a fountain in the middle of the dinning room and an "attendant" always carried my tray to the table since I was just a little guy at the time. Those employees were invariably ladies wearing a dress with a white apron and a white folded cloth hat that looked quite a bit like the one my mother wore to work (she was a nurse).

I think there may still be a Piccadilly Cafeteria in Almeda Mall. I know there used to be one at its twin, Northwest Mall.

Wyatt's South Post Oak and West Bellfort closed like 15 to 18 yrs ago I remember going there about 7 to 10 time there was another one that was at OST and Griggs that closed like 2 to 4 yrs ago

• Like 1

Wyatt's South Post Oak and West Bellfort closed like 15 to 18 yrs ago I remember going there about 7 to 10 time there was another one that was at OST and Griggs that closed like 2 to 4 yrs ago

I don't remember if the food was good or not; I was less than 10 years old and anything that wasn't broccoli or cabbage was o.k. The food quality was probably about the same as a Luby's is today.

I do remember I was permitted by my parental overlords to get the Jell-O cubes as a dessert. What kid doesn't love Jell-O. One of the most agonizing decisions I had to make at that tender age was red, green, or yellow Jell-O. :)

Frank's Meat Mkt on Witte Rd 1/2 block north of Long Point is now an Hispanic night club.  In 1962 you opened the top of a big cooler and paid a dime to slide an ice cold Coke down the slots where you could pull it out.

The big swimming hole out Hempstead Hwy.  I found it (thanks to Google Earth, old aerial photos, and the old phone books).  Now a concrete mixing facility with the big hole filled in.

Andrau Airpark off Westheimer?  Home of the $400 hamburger.  Gone.  Now upscale housing.  Where I learned to fly.

2K's Ice cream parlor corner Westheimer and Post Oak close to Saks, soon to become part of the Galleria complex.  Favorite place for the church youth groups to hang out and only place in Houston to get an original 1920's 'cherry phosphate'.  Rebuilt at least twice over.

Just past Barker Cypress Rd on the South side of Hempstead Rd.  It was an artesian well accidentally discovered by oil well drillers who had lost their drill bit.  Huge swimming area known as 'Hot Wells', and now known as the Hot Wells Shooting Range.

Edited by LeeinMT

Just past Barker Cypress Rd on the South side of Hempstead Rd. It was an artesian well accidentally discovered by oil well drillers who had lost their drill bit. Huge swimming area known as 'Hot Wells', and now known as the Hot Wells Shooting Range.

Of course! I see it every time I drive through the area. I always assumed it was built as a shooting range and remained as the area started to urbanize around it.

Edited by IronTiger

Monterey House Mexican Food?  Long gone.  Last gasp was a contaminated food lawsuit in Baytown because a worker didn't wash his hands.

There's still a Monterey House in Beaumont:

http://www.montereyhousebmt.com/

In Houston (and elsewhere in Texas and Oklahoma), Monterey's Little Mexico is the successor chain of restaurants to Monterey House:

http://montereys.com/menu-locations/

More...

The Shamrock Hilton on S. Main was demo'd years ago, but is remembered where they filmed part of the movie 'Giant' with Eliz Taylor, Rock Hudson, and James Dean in the mid 50's.  Story is that Dean really got as tanked as depicted in the movie, and that it was actually included in part of the film.  He wasn't just acting.

Union Station downtown is now the convention center.  The trains had to back in for passenger loading.

The original Foleys downtown just got demo'd.  So did the Houston Club.

The old original Sears store on S Main.  Walking into it recently was spooky - like stepping back in time.  Same merchandise layout, escalators, basement, etc.  No customers and almost no staff.  This one won't last long.  Sears is part of the mid 20th century and is about to die.  They are just holding on to their real estate holdings.

Union station actually became Minute Maid park - the front brick building is from the station, while the park and all the parking lots are made on the platforms and tracks out back.  You are right on the trains having to back in/out - it was terminal station, not a nice through station like the Southern Pacific station (now the post office site)

More...

Jame's Coney Island (but not the one downtown where they hollered at you NY style).  They are all over town, but their original recipe hasn't changed.  Same hot dog, higher priced.  Worth the visit.

Nielson's Deli.  Started in the early 50's by Danish immigrants,  potato salad to die for, and they haven't changed the recipe or ingredients - only the prices.  Only one left is on Richmond between Weslayn and 610 just over the RR tracks - still run by the founder's son..  They make their own mayonnaise.

Houston has rebuilt itself three times over since we grew up there.  I think it is the nature of the place.  It's about to do it again.

Spelling some of Houston's street names is a challenge.  Never could get Bissonnet, Weslayn, Kuykendahl right.

Here are the list of the former Jack in the Box locations in Houston, remember the jingle.

600) 2203 Strawberry @ Cherry Brook; Star Old Fashioned Hamburgers & Shrimp Galley

601) 5806 King @ Browncroft; razed to Chevron

602) 4801 Almeda @ Arbor; remodeled Fitch Florist

603) 8327 Long Point @ Hillendahl; a restaraunt

605) 1902 North Main @ Hogan; razed to Dollar$ & Deal$

607) 3410 Old Spanish Trail @ Scott; razed to Texaco

608) 2727 Hillcroft @ Meadowglen; razed and replaced with 3625

610) 501 West Southmore @ Miami; remodeled Taqueria Sol de Jacisco

611) 5310 West Bellfort @ Chimney Rock; razed to Auto Zone

612) 1270 Spencer @ Perez; razed to Laredo National Bank, BBVA Compass Bank

613) 5302 Airline @ Tidwell; razed to a strip center

614) 12310 Kingsride @ Gessner; remodeled Papa Joe's BBQ, razed to Starbucks

616) 4302 Westheimer @ Midlane; razed to Bo Concept

617) 9310 Stella Link @ South Loop West; razed to parking lot of Discount Tire Company

619) 6109 Kirby @ Rice; remodeled Village Flowery/River Oaks Plant House

622) 2602 Shepherd @ Westheimer; razed to strip center

623) 1041 Uvalde @ East Freeway; Lone Star Title Loans

626) ?

628) 902 Decker @ West Texas; Pineapple Express

636) 6901 Bellfort @ Wayside; was Cash Money Tax Services, empty

638) ?

639) 763 11st Street @ Stagg; Baskin Robbins

642) 14504 Memorial @ Dairy Ashford; was General Joe's Chopstix, razed to Burger King

643) 18001 El Camino Real @ Nasa; was Fish & Chicken, Daddio'z Pizza

648) 5163 Gulfway @ Dryen; was Yvonne's Mexican Imports, was G & Y Auto Sales, M & B Auto Sales

650) 1110 Jefferson @ San Jacinto; razed to Sacred Heart School

652) 4302 Lockwood @ Cavalcade; razed to Auto Zone

655) 10804 Behmer @ Fuqua; razed to Domino's Pizza

656) 11602 Bellaire @ Belle Park; was Belle Park Auto Sales; razed to strip center

657) 1410 Nederland @ 14th Street; remodeled Cook's Nursery

661) 109 Highway 6 @ Katy Freeway; razed to the Highway 6 lanes

662) 3333 Red Bluff @ Orel; Lone Star Title Loans

682) 2200 Navarro @ Park; Texas Seafood

688) 1104 Dallas @ West Davis; empty

699) 20203 Katy Freeway; razed to NTB

3604) 1601 West Main @ Gulf Freeway; Title Max

3607) 801 Main Street @ Rusk; inside a building

3610) 5602 Richmond @ Chimney Rock; Title Max

3611) 5104 Kirby @ Westpark; remodeled for Amazon Grill

3637) 5806 Eastex Freeway @ Dowlen; remodeled Mattress Firm

3639) 10901 Bellaire Blvd. @ Wilcrest; closing soon

3649) 15806 Northwest Freeway @ Senate; razed for the Northwest Freeway lanes

3651) 7203 East Freeway @ Highway 62; empty

3900) 17203 East Freeway @ Magnolia; Franklin Motors

3902) 2501 Clinton @ Galena Manor; was Boston Seafood Steakhouse, Texas Star BBQ

3916) 631 Highway 146 @ 7th Street; Nautic

3926) 160 Main @ Allen/Raider; empty

3996) ?

4703) ?

4712) 2327 Texas @ Glynn; empty

No, but the one you show is the same idea and format.  The one I remember showed bank robbers in their car with the cops chasing behind them.  One of the first J in the B franchises in Houston was opened in 1959 by the Spring Branch Junior High Asst Principal, Mr. English.  Located on Long Point, everyone thought he had lost his mind, but it was an instant success.  A two way intercom in the drive thru was a radical new concept.  "Jack will speak to you".