Crest At Fondren: Multifamily At 8820 Westheimer Rd.

• 4 weeks later...

61748_1398044262_WestheimerFondren.JPG

Lennar plans to build Crest at Fondren Apartments there, a 338-unit community opening next year. Hunington is redeveloping Vargos on the Lake just north of that, and CBRE bought Old Farm Apartments just east. The 36-acre tract housing Westpoint Apartments is under contract and closing in July (the gents suspect it'll be redeveloped mixed-use).

But that's not all: Greg tells us his team is listing the 10-acre Victoria Place site (in blue here, it surrounds the Lennar site—in yellow—and has access to both Westheimer and Fondren) for sale. It's been getting an amazing amount of interest—Hendricks-Berkadia signed 70 confidentiality agreements in the first week—and will probably go under agreement in the next 30 days.

http://www.bisnow.com/commercial-real-estate/houston/1470-multifamily-monday-the-hottest-intersection-in-houston/

I'm mixed on all these SW Houston developments.

Those are mainly awesome projects that are going to completely transform the area BUT to be honest when I think of Text book definition of Houston I think of that area west of post oak, south of Briar forest, N of Beechnut and east of gessner.

I say that it is a textbook definition because it encompasses a wide variety of people and Houston is known for its diversity. The inner loop has the hispanic east, black southeast and northeast and the white west side. I think the mix found in the southwest created the wonderful diversity of stires and restaurants that made the area great.

My worry is that in typical houston fashion we will try to gentrify the entire city and in so doing stamp out the character differences of the city.

Now I wouldn't mind if all that was happening in the sw was aging complexes being replaced by New ones. But even in stretchy areas of the SW, pricey complexes are going up.

I may sound like a broken record on this but it would be nice if the gentrification occurred in areas that have already lost its soul (midtown, downtown, east downtown). 5th ward and 3rd ward needs some work too

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

it took them a week to bust up that old bank vault

I saw the same thing during the demolition of an old bank in Nassau Bay (former home of The Arts Alliance Center at Clear Lake (TAACCL). There was a lot of concrete and rebar in that vault.

The structure was cleared to make way for a new Valero Corner Store with 16 gas pumps! It will replace an existing Valero a few blocks to the east that has only 6 pumps.

• 2 months later...

Not bad. Not bad at all. I'm still curious as to why its this far down Westheimer when this would be perfect for Midtown, Neartown, or even around Washington Ave. but I'm not going to complain. It will definitely be an improvement to that area.

Not bad. Not bad at all. I'm still curious as to why its this far down Westheimer when this would be perfect for Midtown, Neartown, or even around Washington Ave. but I'm not going to complain. It will definitely be an improvement to that area.

The area has many apartment complexes and this seems like a good spot for more. Seems the market demands these types of apartments instead of the 2-story garden style these days.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived