The Menil Collection At 1533 Sul Ross St.

I jokingly referred to these two large concrete boxes in my front yard as a Donald Judd installation. I sent this to the Menil curator of sculpture and she got a laugh out of it. If you've ever been to Chianti you'll understand the comparison.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/4/2016 at 11:14 AM, bobruss said:

Here is a link to a live cam that I just found out about for the new drawing Institute.

https://www.workzonecam.com/projects/gilbanebuilding4/menildrawing/workzonecam2

The live cam also has a link to a timelapse video on the top right that is definitely worth checking out. Very cool to see how the basement was done and built on to.

• Like 2

Did you notice how many times the hole filled with water? Also about 2/3's through notice how many different cranes come and go. I think it was five in six days. You can also see another crane in the background working on the St. Thomas  science building now under construction.

• Like 1

You know I finally met the job superintendent. I was looking over the fence and he wasn't far away so I said hi. I was asking him about something I'd seen and he walked over. I told him who I was and he said that he knew. He said he's heard all about me from I guess his different crews. I explained to him that I was sorry if the workers thought I was immigration or something and I promised I meant no harm. Just enjoyed taking the shots. He's the one who turned me on to the time lapse live feed construction cam. I told him it looks like I'm about to lose my view what with the bricks going up. He told me he'd let me come on site occasionally and get some pictures which I thought was a wonderful gesture. He's also a photographer and sent me some cool images of the Exxon building. He said when they were doing the surveying for the Exxon campus they killed nearly 75 water moccasins . Thats not what I would want to set one of those surveyors poles on.

• Like 8

45 minutes ago, bobruss said:

He said when they were doing the surveying for the Exxon campus they killed nearly 75 water moccasins . Thats not what I would want to set one of those surveyors poles on.

Yeah there are a LOT of water moccasins/cotton mouths around Houston. If you are near any amount of water even a small stream there is most likely one pretty close by.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This has been put on hold for a while due to the economy, lack of funds and the number of projects under way and already open in the area.

Apparently the developer thought it was best to wait. He has several major projects under construction right now and felt it was time to hold up.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/1/2016 at 0:08 PM, bobruss said:

This has been put on hold for a while due to the economy, lack of funds and the number of projects under way and already open in the area.

Apparently the developer thought it was best to wait. He has several major projects under construction right now and felt it was time to hold up.

I hear they decided to hold off on demo and pursue leases again.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 0:25 PM, skwatra said:

The live cam also has a link to a timelapse video on the top right that is definitely worth checking out. Very cool to see how the basement was done and built on to.

Wow, thanks for the link.  What an awesome time lapse cam !  I also love that get a bonus construction view of that huge high rise going up to the upper left side of the angle, I'm guessing west or northwest of the museum construction site.  Well done thank you !!

• 1 month later...

I haven't been able to post any of my images for a while but I was driving around the old apartments today and noticed that they have been pulling all of the appliances and other

materials out of the buildings just like they did for the first units that came down. They have also positioned several large dumpsters around the base of the apartments so I think they will be demolishing these soon. They also put ups new fencing on Richmond with Gilbane printed on it.

There are several Menil apartments in the neighborhood up for rent currently, including a duplex unit right next door across from the park if anyone has interest in living in the Menil neighborhood.

The one next door has only been on the market since yesterday.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/entertainment/arts-theater/article/Opening-date-set-for-Menil-Drawing-Institute-10619455.php

Exposed steel framing and power cables provide the defining "lines" of the Menil Drawing Institute - for now.

The building is surrounded by mud or sand, depending on the weather, and its signature canopies of angled white steel have not yet arrived. But the Menil announced Wednesday that its new $40 million facility will open Oct. 7, 2017, with an exclusive, landmark exhibition of drawings by Jasper Johns. Outside, the Menil will stage a neighborhood festival across its new park spaces.

Between Richmond Avenue and West Main Street, which has been extended a few blocks eastward to Yupon, the Richmont Square apartment complex is being "surgically demolished" to save trees. Although the Menil plans to rebuild rental housing on that property someday, for at least a few years it will be a grassy picnic meadow. That property will also have a parking lot for 120 cars, plus a bike rental station.

1200x1200.jpg

1200x1200.jpg

1200x1200.jpg

• Like 7