The Menil Collection At 1533 Sul Ross St.

Thanks to Brijonmang for posting these for me.

In clarification about my garage. The reason it had to go along with my neighbors and my driveway was so that center point could get a really big truck down his driveway and place a new larger pole behind where the garage was. They didn't want a structure too close to this new pole and line. They are taking everything underground from my pole on so there will be no power lines above

ground in the new section of the drawing center. I'm also getting a new garage and driveway. My neighbors driveway has to be

built to center point specs structurally strong enough to hold this truck. They are also digging up my bocce court and a hedge of red tipped photenas I planted as a screen behind the pecan tree on the other side of the back yard. I can't wait to see this monster truck. Centerpoint has been over several times to make sure everything is as they want it. The Menil is taking care of the

driveways and garage and moving my plants so I'm getting a new drive and garage out of the deal!

Edited by bobruss
  • Like 5

Its been amazing to have a front row seat. Of course once this wall goes up above ground I'm going to lose this view but it

really has been fun to watch up close. And I don't have to wear a hard hat. I've been sending short videos to the architecture

firm in L.A. every few days so they can see the progress. They seem to enjoy the videos. I actually caught an interesting

concrete pour mishap a few weeks ago on film of the hose blowing off the extender of the concrete pumping truck almost

knocking one of the guys off the wall. It knocked his helmet off and gave him a concrete shower. I couldn't believe I caught it on film.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks to Brijonmang for posting these for me.

In clarification about my garage. The reason it had to go along with my neighbors and my driveway was so that center point could get a really big truck down his driveway and place a new larger pole behind where the garage was. They didn't want a structure too close to this new pole and line. They are taking everything underground from my pole on so there will be no power lines above

ground in the new section of the drawing center. I'm also getting a new garage and driveway. My neighbors driveway has to be

built to center point specs structurally strong enough to hold this truck. They are also digging up my bocce court and a hedge of red tipped photenas I planted as a screen behind the pecan tree on the other side of the back yard. I can't wait to see this monster truck. Centerpoint has been over several times to make sure everything is as they want it. The Menil is taking care of the

driveways and garage and moving my plants so I'm getting a new drive and garage out of the deal!

what about the bocce court?

Thanks Brijongmang for posting these and the ROD pics. Does anyone know why they would put that PVC grid down on top of the

concrete and then put a layer of crushed stone on top of it?

maybe a french drain?

• Like 1

They pulled up my bocce court to take power lines below grade. They are also burying all of the other utilities and for that I am thankful. Once they finish with construction in my back yard the bocce court will be rebuilt and just in time for spring time some beer and bocce in the back yard.

I can't wait. The vacuum truck that has been in front for the past week sucking  up the water used to cut those trenches 

is extremely loud. All in all I can't complain., but I will be glad for the peace and quiet to return.

• Like 3

We rent from the Menil. They can do whatever they want, which is fine with me. They have been very thoughtful and helpful in this process. I'm documenting this construction for a possible art project. Plus its been interesting to have a front row seat to all of the construction. 

• Like 5

The Menil Foundation and Menil Properties own a substantial number of houses (and land) in and around the vicinity of the Menil Collection facility - HCAD shows 119 separate properties owned by one or the other of those entities. You can usually identify the houses easily as they're almost always painted in that distinctive shade of "Menil Grey". 

They're not exclusively rented to artists, but as long as I can remember there's been a waiting list for prospective tenants - people that live in one of their houses tend to really like the property, the neighborhood, and the landlord, so the turnover isn't very high. 

• Like 1

They own pretty much everything from Alabama to Richmond west of St. Thomas to Mandell. Right now they are also remodeling

The old DaCamera house which is just east of the Twombly and west of ours. I think it's going to be used for offices for the Menil, and I would guess for the drawing institute behind our house. They will be opening up the fence where the large oak tree sits in the small pocket park adjacent to the Twombly for a new southern walkway to the DMI.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Oh I didn't know Me il owned houses over there. Are they specifically for artists? That's interesting

Menil owns practically every property in the area for blocks and blocks. It's why all the houses around Menil Collection are painted gray, to create a sense of place and atmosphere. There are very few holdout properties left. 

Rents are reasonable because Menil likes to have a stable and high occupancy rate, which helps to finance the free museum. I lived at 1525 W Main years ago, and my fiancee used to live in a 2 story on Branard. Menil is a great landlord who is very responsive. As a side benefit, they have a security officer who patrols all their properties.

And when Menil wants to expand their campus, they just tear down one of their houses, or part of the Richmont Square Apartments. That's how we got the new restaurant, and the coming Drawing center. Expect the campus to get bigger and bigger in the coming years.

Edited by kylejack
  • Like 1

Some more shots of the work going on around the Menil courtesy of your boy Bobruss:

They're remodeling the DaCamera offices for Menil offices and widening sidewalks to 5 feet.

IMG_2007_zps84ulxxm9.jpg

IMG_2009_zpshlsp2d0t.jpg

IMG_2010_zpsy6kr4pdf.jpg

These appear to be junction boxes but they are too close together for drainage...anyone know which utilities are most likely going in here?  The 'COMM' diamond plates lead me to believe this is all for Google Fiber :)

IMG_2039_zpsf3iyfpv8.jpg

IMG_2040_zps145wcigw.jpg

IMG_2058_zpsythqqsbw.jpg

• Like 5