Mid Main: Mixed-Use Development For Midtown

Urbannizer

11 minutes ago, wilcal said:

Probably not.

Landlord applied for patio space for Brass Tap and they A) didn't finish the permitting process for it and B ) didn't pay the fee (I think Brass Taps is like $1,400/year) to use the city ROW. I pointed this out to the city and they weren't penalized for what it's worth. 

They also made the sidewalk not ADA accessible because of the trees that were planted alongside. 

They were able to get city permission because they had custom grates installed for the tree planters, but they are trash and are just metal grates set on top of gravel, so they don't stay level. I also don't think that the required width is provided even after the grates are added, but it's within an inch or two so they likely let them slide instead of tearing down the patio or tearing out a tree. 

I don't see a way logistically for them to put in a patio in front of the other space unless they put it in the trees, which is what they should have done for Brass Tap as well

Having the patio being under the trees would be cool, but the trees aren't big enough yet and I'm not sure if that would be in compliance with TABC rules regarding a controlled perimeter for alcohol.

I was basing my original comment off of their previous site plan:

H2bu1hY.jpg

Edited by phillip_white
embedded photo
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, phillip_white said:

Having the patio being under the trees would be cool, but the trees aren't big enough yet and I'm not sure if that would be in compliance with TABC rules regarding a controlled perimeter for alcohol.

I was basing my original comment off of their previous site plan:

https://imgur.com/H2bu1hY

If they do beer/wine only with a BC license, then they can just let people take it to go and eat/drink wherever they want and have the complex put some tables up out there. That would be great. 

But also, no patio on that site plan?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

Home Slice Pizza is opening a satellite location in Houston. It's going in Mid Main in Midtown at 3600 Main St.

Home Slice Pizza is a pizzeria restaurant from Austin with pies by the slice.

Three weeks ago, Home Slice Pizza registered  Home Slice Pizza Houston Mid Main LLC.

http://www.homeslicepizza.com

whaaaaaa??? some of the best news i've heard all year! home slice is my favorite pizza joint in austin and we go regularly. what a glorious announcement!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/18/2019 at 4:17 PM, wilcal said:

Well now y'all are getting me excited. Although no one tell Vinny's I may start cheating on them. They're new revised pepperoni is sooo goood

the beautiful thing about this is that Vinny's is a completely different type of pie so both can live together in harmony. plus Vinny's being attached to Miss Carousel can't easily be replicated or replaced.

Edited by swtsig
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

CultureMap speculates Home Slice Pizza may be eyeing another Midtown location near Mid-Main in Houston:

The eyes of Home Slice Pizza are on Midtown. The Austin-based pizza joint has filed a LLC with the State of Texas as the first step in opening a Houston location; however, the restaurant has not signed a lease for a specific space, a representative tells CultureMap.

Of course, the confirmation only means that the document discovered by a user on the Houston Architecture Info Forum isn't some elaborate hoax designed to prank UT alums. While the forum users speculated that the restaurant could open in the Mid Main development that includes Kura Revolving Sushi, Brass Tap, and Spicy Girl, the building appears to be almost fully leased. 

On the other hand, the former T'afia/Sparrow Bar + Cookshop has been vacant since the Winbern Mess Hall closed last year. With two floors of seating, a shaded patio, and its own (limited) parking, the currently empty restaurant would seem to be an ideal fit for the acclaimed pizzeria.

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/10-01-19-home-slice-pizza-houston-location-midtown-mid-main/

Oh wow that space would be a great fit for them.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

As some of you may know, I reported on Houston's dining scene for Eater, Zagat, Houstonia and my own site under my username.

I shared the post from this forum about Home Slice's move into the Houston market to my peers covering restaurants for CultureMap, Houstonia, PaperCity, Houston Press, Houston Business Journal. I also followed up with Home Slice and received the same response given to the aforementioned publications.

I don't have much to add but thought it was only right to share this on this forum after passing along the comment from here: after reserving the entity Home Slice Pizza Mid Main LLC a few months back, Home Slice filed the name last week. The filing solidifies their plans to open in Mid Main in Midtown. Maybe CultureMap will be the first to report on further details once Home Slice confirms.

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
spelling error
  • Like 6

10 minutes ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

As some of you may know, I reported on Houston's dining scene for Eater, Zagat, Houstonia and my own site under my username.

I shared the post from this forum about Home Slice's move into the Houston market to my peers covering restaurants for CultureMap, Houstonia, PaperCity, Houston Press, Houston Business Journal. I also followed up with Home Slice and received the same response given to the aforementioned publications.

I don't have much to add but thought it was only right to share this on this forum after passing along the comment from here: after reserving the entity Home Slice Pizza Mid Main LLC a few months back, Home Slice filed the name last week. The filing solidifies their plans to open in Mid Main in Midtown. Maybe CultureMap will be the first to report on further details once Home Slice confirms.

That tenant should bring a great vibe to this part of midtown. 

Agreed. Wherever Home Slice Pizza signs on in Mid Main, the decor will fit its surrounding, creating a cool vibe. From a food perspective, my one concern is quality. When a food related business expands into a new market, sometimes the quality and cooking techniques aren't held to the same standards as the original location. From a fan perspective, I'm overjoyed to have another one of my Austin faves in town.

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
spelling error
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 9/18/2019 at 3:41 PM, Triton said:

I know. Pretty exciting we are getting it here.

On 10/2/2019 at 5:58 AM, corbs315 said:

Oh wow that space would be a great fit for them.

On 11/19/2019 at 4:10 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Home Slice will be taking the former Sparrow location at 3701 Travis

https://www.chron.com/entertainment/restaurants-bars/article/Austin-s-Home-Slice-Pizza-to-slice-into-Midtown-15047183.php

Coming "Early 2021"

• Like 1

Trendy Austin pizza joint expands to Houston 

Austin-based Home Slice Pizza plans to open a location in Houston.

KIRSTEN KAISER PHOTOGRAPHY

greenwood-giselle*90xx1000-1333-0-0.png
By Giselle Greenwood  – Editor-in-chief, Houston Business Journal 
Feb 11, 2020, 1:17pm CST Updated 3 hours ago

Home Slice Pizza, a popular Austin pizza restaurant, plans to open its first location in Houston in early 2021. 

The restaurant will be located in Midtown at 3701 Travis St., adjacent to the Continental Club and across the street from the Mid Main Lofts. 

Additional details, such as square footage of the space and an exact opening date, were not disclosed. 

Co-founder Joseph Strickland is a native Houstonian who grew up in Sharpstown. Home Slice was founded by Strickland, his wife Jen and her college roommate, Terri Hannifin Buis. The Houston eatery marks the team's first expansion outside of Austin since first opening its doors in 2005. 

“Midtown is evolving into the most walkable, dense neighborhood in Houston, making it a perfect fit for the Home Slice brand, which is rooted in the pizzerias and slice joints of NYC,” said Joseph Strickland. “I am personally thrilled to be part of the team bringing Home Slice to my hometown.”

Rumors of Home Slice coming to Houston first broke in October.

Home Slice has three locations in Austin — two on South Congress and one in the North Loop area off 53rd Street. The home of hot slices was ranked as one of the top pizzerias in the country by TripAdvisor.

In Houston, pizza is big business. Houston-based Russo's New York Pizzeria & Italian Kitchen recently expanded to the Dallas-Fort Worth area and has plans to open 10 to 15 units over the next three years, partially owning some and partially franchising out other locations. In January, Russo's announced it would open a location in the Heights, and in June 2019, it announced plans to open a string of breweries.

Houston restaurateur, Benjamin Berg, and his brother, partner and executive chef, Daniel Bergalso launched into the pizza space last year with the opening of B.B. Pizza inside his Italian restaurant concept, B.B. Italia Kitchen & Bar.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

Homes Slice is back on for their Houston expansion after the Covid set back plans.

Austin-based Home Slice Pizza confirmed plans in March that it will open its first Houston location at 3701 Travis St., in Midtown sometime this fall. The location will primarily serve to-go and delivery orders, including its signature walk-up window that stays open late, but it will also have a large patio space and a handful of indoor dine-in booths. www.homeslicepizza.com

• Like 6

• 4 months later...
  • The title was changed to Mid Main: Mixed-Use Development For Midtown

A New Destination for Fancy Po’ Boys Debuts at MidMain

Find katsu sandwiches, beer debris fried, and classic Louisiana cocktails right off the light rail

by Brittanie Shey@brittanieshey  Sep 27, 2021, 11:02am CDT

Winnie’s, the late night bar and sandwich shop from a trio of Houston hospitality veterans, is now open at MidMain. The restaurant opened last week at 3622 Main Street, in the spot that was previously home to Natachee’s Supper and Punch.

The restaurant originally got its start at the same address almost a year ago as pop-up restaurant Peace Maker Po’Boys, which gained popularity for its fried seafood sandwiches and birria po’boys. The trio behind the restaurant, Johnny’s Gold Brick owner Benjy Mason, and chefs Graham Laborde and Chris Roy, first met while working at now-defunct Treadsack restaurant Bernadine’s, which closed in 2017.

For Winnie’s, the trio wanted to create a laid-back patio bar with approachable cocktails, while also paying homage to the historic Midtown neighborhood. The name Winnie’s comes from Winbern Street, which was purportedly named after the daughters — Winnifred and Bernadine — of the area’s developer. The building, a former drugstore, already had a large outdoor space overlooking the Main Street light rail line. For the interior, the trio used reclaimed materials to capture the character of the building, including rebuilding the storefront, and installed a bar created by Houston artist Patrick Renner, known for creating iconic Houston sculpture the Funnel Tunnel.

Winnie’s menu features 8 signature sandwiches, including a shrimp and oyster peace maker, a Mississippi beef debris po’boy with beer cheese and Cool Ranch Doritos, and katsu BLT made with braised bacon katsu, pickled green tomatoes, and serves on milk bread. The restaurant also serves raw and roasted oysters, a muffaletta salad, and sharable dishes like pimento queso, beef debris fries, and fried pickled okra.

The bar program focuses on classic Texas and Louisiana cocktails like the sazerac, hurricane, michelada, and a take on the Ranch Water made with White Claw. There are also icy drinks, like a frozen peach-bourbon iced tea and a frozen Irish coffee. The restaurant will offer a happy hour with $5 house drinks from noon to 5 p.m. daily.

Winnie’s, which is walking distance from entertainment hotspots like MATCH Theater and the Continental Club, is open Tuesday through Sunday from noon to midnight.

https://houston.eater.com/2021/9/27/22696421/winnies-po-boys-open-houston-restaurant-mid-main-chef-graham-laborde

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
13 minutes ago, corbs315 said:

Not really Mid-Main so not sure if it deserves its own thread buttttttt

590588425_ScreenShot2022-01-25at11_35_19AM.png.b2a60adc938eb5945b4b4dc3df575dc8.png

insert *itshappeningronpaul.gif*

But will the slices still have that unforgettably slightly-above-average taste that you remember from South Congress, when it's not on South Congress anymore?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 months later...

Is there any word about Double Trouble? It's the cocktail bar and coffee shop located at 3622 Main St, Suite D in the Mid Main development.

Last month, Double Trouble announced the bar's temporary closure. According to their social media, the down time is for renovations. 

From Houston Press last month:

"Double Trouble Caffeine & Cocktails, 3622 Main, announced on Instagram this week that it is temporarily closed. The message read " Excuse us while we shape up a bit. See you soon." We have tried reaching out for more information and will keep readers updated with any reopening plans.

Last week, the bar announced on Instagram that it was having maintenance issues prior to the temporary closing post. A tip from a reader hinted that owners Robin Berwick and Robin Whalan may have rebranding plans for the bar."

https://www.houstonpress.com/restaurants/bluestone-lane-brings-brekkie-leftys-closes-two-locations-13070432

I emailed my assumptions to Houston Press regarding the bar's possible rebrand, as reported above. Prior to the remodeling closure, I noticed a trade name filing with the county and state in January for Mixed Signal. The filings are linked to the owners of Double Trouble. 

There are also Instagram accounts for Mixed Signal at:

@mixedsignalbar

@mixedsignalhouston

I don't know for certain if Double Trouble is rebranding to Mixed Signal. The bar is still closed for renovations. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 4/19/2022 at 6:57 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Is there any word about Double Trouble? It's the cocktail bar and coffee shop located at 3622 Main St, Suite D in the Mid Main development.

Last month, Double Trouble announced the bar's temporary closure. According to their social media, the down time is for renovations. 

From Houston Press last month:

"Double Trouble Caffeine & Cocktails, 3622 Main, announced on Instagram this week that it is temporarily closed. The message read " Excuse us while we shape up a bit. See you soon." We have tried reaching out for more information and will keep readers updated with any reopening plans.

Last week, the bar announced on Instagram that it was having maintenance issues prior to the temporary closing post. A tip from a reader hinted that owners Robin Berwick and Robin Whalan may have rebranding plans for the bar."

https://www.houstonpress.com/restaurants/bluestone-lane-brings-brekkie-leftys-closes-two-locations-13070432

I emailed my assumptions to Houston Press regarding the bar's possible rebrand, as reported above. Prior to the remodeling closure, I noticed a trade name filing with the county and state in January for Mixed Signal. The filings are linked to the owners of Double Trouble. 

There are also Instagram accounts for Mixed Signal at:

@mixedsignalbar

@mixedsignalhouston

I don't know for certain if Double Trouble is rebranding to Mixed Signal. The bar is still closed for renovations. 

Double Trouble is not rebranding. After closing several months for renovations, the coffee shop and cocktail bar reopens tomorrow at Mid Main.

The reopening announcement shared on Instagram Thursday evening:

spacer.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
19 hours ago, BeerNut said:

They've been open for a while.  He was a staple at midmain pop up markets.

I've been there a few times.  I know the first time was before Christmas, so he's been open at least since then.

Good cakes, and they last  along time in the refrigerator.  I bet they freeze well, too, if you want to pace yourself.

The last time I was there I didn't get anything because there was a problem with the POS system.  I forget exactly what the problem was, but usually the tap-to-pay thing doesn't work and the place won't take cash. 

Still, if you can complete the transaction, it's good stuff.