Mid Main: Mixed-Use Development For Midtown

Urbannizer

I really appreciate mixed use developments like this.  Most places in Houston are developed for arrive/buy/depart mentality.  Even if you think the structure itself is ugly, you have to admit that Mid Main is turning into a destination where even a it's-too-hot-to-walk Houstonian may take the time to explore the area.  And to think that the same developer owns most of the property in the immediate area... I can't wait to see what else they have planned.

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, phillip_white said:

I really appreciate mixed use developments like this.  Most places in Houston are developed for arrive/buy/depart mentality.  Even if you think the structure itself is ugly, you have to admit that Mid Main is turning into a destination where even a it's-too-hot-to-walk Houstonian may take the time to explore the area.  And to think that the same developer owns most of the property in the immediate area... I can't wait to see what else they have planned.

Agreed. They have done everything right from a philosophical standpoint.

• Like 1

Can someone shed light on where the project stands? As of right now the sidewalk along Main is patchwork. There is actually only gravel where the building meets the sidewalk. Additionally none of the store fronts facing Main St have doors, just windows. Do we have any detailed renderings of the building along Main St?

I know several sidewalks around midtown and downtown closed for construction purposes opened temporarily  for the super bowl. I wonder if that is also the case here.

Edited by urbanize713
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, bobruss said:

This just goes to show you that great things can happen if there is someone who understands the concept of mixed use and the value of the rail.

Not that I want this to be a rail thread, but I think a majority of developers find value in being close to the rail. Of the downtown condos and apartments that went up (or are going up) as a part of the city rebates, 12 of the 19 projects are within 2 blocks.

Every single hotel built in the last cycle is built on the same block as the light rail is on.

That's just in downtown. Midtown, museum, medical, stadium. all those areas, most of the projects going in those areas, those projects are going in close to the rail.

It took about 10 years for things to start showing signs of life around the red line south, and it seems like it's going to take about 15 years for things to really hit a stride.

Imagine 10 years from now how the areas around the red line north, green and purple lines, wow. 

Edited by samagon
  • Like 5

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

This is why we can't have nice things...

The man initially cleaned up the spill using a bottle dropper and other tools, but then threw those contaminated materials down the trash chute. He called the Fire Department Monday to report what happened. Firefighters tested the trash chute and the hallway for mercury levels which were low, but “significant enough” to evacuate the floor.

Most instructions on cleaning mercury focus on small spills from thermometers. Anything more than about two tablespoons should be handled by professional cleanup crews. The Environmental Protection Agency even has a national hot line for spills more than 1 pound.

http://www.houstonpress.com/news/man-spills-two-pounds-of-mercury-after-storing-it-in-crown-royal-bottle-9700678

• Like 1

On 2/10/2017 at 3:50 PM, CREguy13 said:

Yes, if only the Richmond line could get traction.  Then everyone from Galleria moving east could have access to downtown, midtown, museum district, etc. without a car.

Until then, Uber it is!  LOL!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, hindesky said:

Why would anyone need 2 lbs of mercury? Why would you let your girlfriend handle your horde of mercury? This is the strangest reason to evacuate a building I've ever heard.

My Granddad had a flask of mercury on his shelf from the days when he worked in the oilfield, and they used mercury in the meters on gas lines. He still had it 30+ years after he retired, until he saw an article on the dangers, and legal issues, and had some agency come pick it up. The container was heavy glass, was smaller than a quart, and must have weighed 30 pounds. Having said that, I can't imagine why anyone with a smattering of brain cells would keep mercury in a whiskey bottle

• Like 2

13 hours ago, hindesky said:

Why would anyone need 2 lbs of mercury? Why would you let your girlfriend handle your horde of mercury? This is the strangest reason to evacuate a building I've ever heard.

Saving up for this, perhaps?

Teeming with treasures that dazzled the most jaded traveler or world—weary aristocrat...Pools of mercury could be shaken to spray beams of reflected sunlight across marble walls and ceilings of gold...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medina_Azahara

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to New pub build out starts in Mid Main retail area on Holman

I hope this works out for them. Mike is my cousin so I couldn't really say much until the article came out.

Its in a really good location in Mid Main across from The Match and Ensemble Theater plus right on the rail and in the middle of everything.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, bobruss said:

I hope this works out for them. Mike is my cousin so I couldn't really say much until the article came out.

Its in a really good location in Mid Main across from The Match and Ensemble Theater plus right on the rail and in the middle of everything.

Make sure Cousin Mike invites HAIF to the opening celebrations!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...