Mid Main: Mixed-Use Development For Midtown

Urbannizer

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Brass Tap is opening in MidMain. It'll be on the corner of Holman and Travis right across the street from Holman Draft Hall. This is creating another walkable mix of drinkeries on this side of midtown. 

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/Yn0Otun"><a href="//imgur.com/Yn0Otun"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

• 2 months later...

Took a tour of soon to open Brass Tap last night and its looking good. They're going to have a nice outdoor seating area , plenty of tv's and lots of beer. 60 taps. 

I think they plan on having live music occasionally and a pretty wide range of food. It looks like sometime before Thanksgiving when they'll open. I'll give you a solid date in a week. My cousin and his partners have been working very hard to get it all right. See you there.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
20 hours ago, sdotwill84 said:

it reminds me of student dorms.

I think that is a fair comparison. There is a certain cheapness to it reminiscent of student dorms. It is great to have a wide range of housing options however, these are not much more economic than the "luxury" options up and down the street. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 4/27/2019 at 5:53 AM, Texasota said:

I mean, it might be cheap looking but I don't agree at all that it's actually cheaply made. In fact, I think this building is likely to still be rock solid when many of its peers start having serious problems.

I tend to agree.  Not my favorite design but I appreciate the uniqueness.

Entirely unrelated, but since it somewhat reminds me of a motel, I wish someone would redo the old Holiday Inn down by Wheeler Station and 59 . . . I think it'd make a great kitschy boutique hotel and is in a good location for the younger demographic given proximity to Midtown and Montrose.

• 3 months later...
5 hours ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

Home Slice Pizza is opening a satellite location in Houston. It's going in Mid Main in Midtown at 3600 Main St.

Home Slice Pizza is a pizzeria restaurant from Austin with pies by the slice.

Three weeks ago, Home Slice Pizza registered  Home Slice Pizza Houston Mid Main LLC.

http://www.homeslicepizza.com

It's the famous pizza from SoCo in Austin! Nice! That place is always packed full of people that were just wandering up and down that area with Hopdoddy across the street. Really cool.

54 minutes ago, phillip_white said:

I think that location had patio space included, which would be fitting for Home Slice.

Probably not.

Landlord applied for patio space for Brass Tap and they A) didn't finish the permitting process for it and B ) didn't pay the fee (I think Brass Taps is like $1,400/year) to use the city ROW. I pointed this out to the city and they weren't penalized for what it's worth. 

They also made the sidewalk not ADA accessible because of the trees that were planted alongside. 

They were able to get city permission because they had custom grates installed for the tree planters, but they are trash and are just metal grates set on top of gravel, so they don't stay level. I also don't think that the required width is provided even after the grates are added, but it's within an inch or two so they likely let them slide instead of tearing down the patio or tearing out a tree. 

I don't see a way logistically for them to put in a patio in front of the other space unless they put it in the trees, which is what they should have done for Brass Tap as well

ylTQKcM.png

Edited by wilcal