Development List For Buildings In Houston

Urbannizer

• 1 month later...
29 minutes ago, Timoric said:

As Houston urbanizes, it is pretty amazing to note what year the world population became more urban than rural. Take a guess of the year then look at this for the 51 percent urban on this chart.

http://www.worldometers.info/world-population/world-population-by-year/

I would say 1980!

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
4 hours ago, hindesky said:

All these areas are available for high rise development if I'm not mistaken, wouldn't it be great if they all happened we could have our mini version of Central Park. Anyone else know of any properties around the bayou not included here?

39348228522_38746da39b_h.jpgfullsizeoutput_2197 by David, on Flickr

Available like lot is up for sale? Or unannounced plans?

• 4 weeks later...

I'm hoping to see some brand new proposals soon as quite a few of the buildings proposed in the last building cycle has been built/ under construction.

The market isn't back yet for office and we have had so many wonderful conversions to hotel I think we due for some more residential towers as the Discovery Green and Root Square towers are getting off the ground the proposed list is getting slim.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
3 hours ago, Timoric said:

I read on here that Miami would pass Houston for number of skyscrapers, looks like that has happened now.  Definition is 490 feet +

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/us-cities-with-the-most-skyscrapers.html

tall buildings.jpg

Houston has at least 40 buildings at that height and above.  As with many of these rankings, it depends on what you measure.  Why 490 feet (150 Meters)?  Why not 200 meters (656 feet)?  If we use that as the cutoff, Miami has 4 buildings and Houston has 15.

On 12/29/2017 at 5:16 PM, hindesky said:

All these areas are available for high rise development if I'm not mistaken, wouldn't it be great if they all happened we could have our mini version of Central Park. Anyone else know of any properties around the bayou not included here?

39348228522_38746da39b_h.jpgfullsizeoutput_2197 by David, on Flickr

The lot on Jackson Hill is becoming an "Inner Loop City Centre" and the one off Gillette is the one by the Chinese developer that contains 3 towers I thought. Additionally, there was a tower just north of Spotts Park but I think it may have been placed on hold or cancelled entirely. Dunvaly and Dallas is Regent Square.  The odd shaped one where KHOU used to be on Stanford has been bought by SCI and they may be expanding of some sort soon.

Northbank (Jackson Hill) - http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=216569

The Allen (Gillette) - http://swamplot.com/your-best-look-yet-at-the-shiny-high-rises-fitting-between-allen-parkway-village-and-the-federal-reserve/2017-12-04/

Spotts Park - https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/columnists/sarnoff/article/High-end-office-building-underway-west-of-downtown-5920360.php

Regent Square - http://regentsquarehouston.com/

Edited by pm91

So just some inside info.

I'm hearing about a lot of contractors who are pushing architects who are then pushing clients to activate projects as soon as they can. Contractors are getting a bit spooked by the upcoming tariffs on steel and aluminum.

While the market has been great and is asking for more construction, I think the upcoming tariffs are possibly pushing people into build mode now while costs are lower and the boom is on.

What happens when the tariffs take full effect? Any buddies guess. I think we might experience a quick slow down, but will go to normal building mode afterwards.

Anybody else been hearing the same kind of things? Anybody have an opinion about the tariffs and what that might do to the market?

• 3 months later...

Not necessarily an "update", but Google just updated their maps. It now includes a lot of the recent developments that have happened in town over the past couple years. In particular its fun now seeing things like Mid Main and MATCH now officially in the satellite images. A lot of the stuff around Minute Maid park is also filled in. Seems like the images were taken this past summer. I'm assuming this is the case because, for example, the new urban HEB on Washington and Heights Blvd is just starting to have its foundation poured which happened earlier this summer.

Edited by Luminare

Seems they haven't fully rolled out that new imagery yet.  Google Earth is still not allowing dates after 10/2017 to be chosen, and in Google Maps for me, when the "globe" mode is turned off, it still only shows the 10/2017 imagery.  With "globe" mode on, Google Maps still shows the even older, undated (but apparently late 2014 from construction status) imagery.

Can you post a screenshot of the new imagery?  As you can see, for me it's still showing the 10/2017 imagery (Midtown shown here), which has been online since at least this spring:

https://i.imgur.com/8cWWiaK.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Does it seem fair to say we are in another real estate boom here? I remember a lot of forecast back in 2014 and 2015 (especially here at CBRE) saying 2019 was the big year for recovery in the Houston market ever since the downturn in the oil market. Those discussions are probably even in this forum. The development this time seems to be throughout the city. Downtown doesn't seem to be getting as much love but I'm sure the Downtown Living Initiative played a major role in that in the last boom.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Triton said:

Does it seem fair to say we are in another real estate boom here? I remember a lot of forecast back in 2014 and 2015 (especially here at CBRE) saying 2019 was the big year for recovery in the Houston market ever since the downturn in the oil market. Those discussions are probably even in this forum. The development this time seems to be throughout the city. Downtown doesn't seem to be getting as much love but I'm sure the Downtown Living Initiative played a major role in that in the last boom.

If we had to list the top 10 big time developments that are kicking off this year or finishing, etc... What would they be in y'alls opinion?

1 hour ago, lockmat said:

Probably, yeah. Two giveaways, lots of curves and foliage.

haha kinda, but not really. Now if it was all roof top gardens then maybe.

More like click the link. This is from a architecture visualization office. Notice the tag line about "digital storytelling". They exist to help put to page grand visions when they need to be farmed out to others out of office. Its pretty common actually.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Luminare said:

If we had to list the top 10 big time developments that are kicking off this year or finishing, etc... What would they be in y'alls opinion?

Great question....so many to choose from. My favorites would be:

1 - TMC Research Campus 

2 - Sears building conversion to Houston's Innovation District

3 - MFAH expansion project

4 - Cayden's 3 towers for midtown

5 - McNair mixed use at Post Oak & Richmond (former design by Munoz + Albin)

6 - Hanover mixed use at 3540 W. Dallas

7 - Block 58 - Hines 47 story office building on old Houston Chronicle site

8 - The Allen mixed use at Allen Pkwy & Gillette

9 - Capital Tower (hoping street interaction will be as good as advertised)

10 - HSPVA

Honorable mentions:

3300 Main

Block 42 - Hines 46 story residential tower

The RO at West Alabama & Buffalo Speedway

Equinox Hotel and the residential tower in ROD

Medistar 48 story mixed use tower in the med center

The Driscoll (Hanover)

Hanover Post Oak

40 story residential at 1660 Post Oak

Hanover River Oaks

La Colombe d'Or Hotel in Montrose

* Would love to see the Grocers Supply, 7200 Main and Kingwood Herons projects happen.....but unless I'm missing something (which is quite possible, if not straight up "probable"), it seems like none of these are realistic in terms of happening this year.

That's my "10."

• Like 7