Development List For Buildings In Houston

Urbannizer

I'm not sure how relevant this measurement is, because I'm not sure what buildings are included and which ones aren't, but Houston has the tallest combined skyscraper footage in Texas, followed by not Dallas but Austin. Dallas plus Fort Worth is just short of Houston, which is the way it's been for a while...
Axios - Tallest Buildings in Texas

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, ArtNsf said:

so, surely Houston won't allow Austin to have the tallest building in Texas for long ?  as a native Houstonian, I find that appalling, although I'm a bit proud of Austin for scoring so well.

Think of it as the booby prize for them losing out to us on pretty much everything else that matters. 😛

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, ArtNsf said:

so, surely Houston won't allow Austin to have the tallest building in Texas for long ?  as a native Houstonian, I find that appalling, although I'm a bit proud of Austin for scoring so well.

Austin is able to build due to residential demand.  Do you live downtown?

Most of us cry about the lack of urbanity in Houston while enjoying the patios/backyards in our detached SFH.

I’m more interested in the QOL in Houston.  In terms of amenities no city in Texas rivals Houston.  
Austin can have their weird looking super-tall.

• Like 6

Austin has pressures that Houston doesn’t- land is expensive, cost to develop is expensive, zoning means they can’t just plop down skyscrapers wherever they want. (Though I’m unsure if they wound up passing zoning reform- anyone know?) 

I don’t think detached homes and urbanity are mutually exclusive. I mean, the city I immediately think of is Tokyo. They have a lot of SF detached homes in the city and they’re about as urban as it gets. (Though I don’t think I’ve seen as many 4-story homes as here in Houston. Lots of them have carports though.) 

On 1/19/2023 at 8:15 AM, Highrise Tower said:

Como Club was located at 6219 Grand Blvd. 

From the newspaper The Jewish Herald-Voice dated August 9, 1956:

Newcomer or oldtimer, here is your chance to break the ice at the gala get-acquainted party being given by the Beth Yeshuruan Sisterhood, at the Como Club, 6219 Grand (adjacent to the Town and Country Apartments), Tuesday, August 14, 6:30-12 p.m.

oNC8i1b.png

My Dad managed the T&C apartments. At the same time, he and my Uncle built the Ardmore Apartments (still standing) just East on the other side of the RR tracks (now Columbia Tap). Como sat where Shenandoah, Grand and S. McGregor intersected. Across Shenandoah was a gas station and small strip center with a Womack’s convenience store and a barber shop. We lived at T&C until around 1961.

Tokyo single-family homes are about 1,000sf. With maybe one subcompact car, and extensive and reliable public transit. Hardly comparable to Houston. And only about a third of Tokyo residents live in single-family homes. In Houston, I think single-family homes are about 50% of the total housing stock. The Houston larger 2,000+ sf homes (plus a yard) are generally nice for the owner but the lower density and vast, dividing, and expensive highway system diminishes any real urbanism or cultural energy. 

Townhouses have done a lot to curb the spiraling property sizes in the city at least. ~2400 sf on a lot not much bigger than the building footprint isn't *small*, but it's at least comparable to older east coast (and UK) rowhouse/terrace house sizing and is 100% compatible with urbanism and transit.

So not Tokyo, but plenty of neighborhoods in Philly or London. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/9/2023 at 12:49 PM, Bassclef said:

Quite sad, and doesn’t look like it’ll happen anytime soon.

Until there is a turnaround in office leasing, there will probably not be any supertalls anywhere in the country outside of New York or Miami. If Houston were a place where supertall residential or mixed-use highrises were occurring, it would be more likely, but right now the limit seems to be around 600 feet.

• 2 months later...
On 11/16/2023 at 8:12 AM, toxtethogrady said:

Until there is a turnaround in office leasing, there will probably not be any supertalls anywhere in the country outside of New York or Miami. If Houston were a place where supertall residential or mixed-use highrises were occurring, it would be more likely, but right now the limit seems to be around 600 feet.

Yeah, Texas Tower or 609 Main could easily have been 2 additional supertalls for Houston had they added residential/hotel components. Wouldn't have taken a lot of units to get there either. 300 units and either tower would be part 1000ft. 

Texas tower would have been a beautiful super tall. 

With high vacancy rates downtown and the office market not so hot, I don't see Houston cracking 600ft unless it's a hotel/residential combo. 

Austin's UC super tall is only slated to have 700sq feet of office space compared to Texas Tower's 1.2M. Houstons tallest, Chase has 2.2M, and 1.8M at Wells Fargo. Even 609 Main has well over 1M sq feet of office. 

Austin's super tall will only have 352 residential units. Less than the 373 at Brava. 

A Texas Tower/ Brava combo could easily have been 1300 ft tall, but I guess that would have exceeded FAA restrictions? Still I could easily see two 1050ft floor buildings on Texas Tower and Brava sites had they been mixed use. 

• Like 1