Development List For Buildings In Houston

Urbannizer

9 hours ago, Luminare said:

Yeah was about to say the same thing. Walked this area a few times now, and its mostly townhomes. Most of the old homes in that area are gone now. The ones that are left are in very rough shape.

the high first ward historic district saved a good number of them, and I literally live in a 1880s-built house in the lower first ward that i'd like to think is in better than very-rough-shape 😅

12 hours ago, crock said:

the high first ward historic district saved a good number of them, and I literally live in a 1880s-built house in the lower first ward that i'd like to think is in better than very-rough-shape 😅

Hey neighbor! 1890s house in old Sixth.

i am really happy that historic district exists in FW. So many cool houses that would be a shame to lose. Props to you for saving a house outside historic district. I’d like to think FW has an amazing future. It will be a true Houston mix, but hopefully just enough to make it a great little neighborhood, respectful of its history!

• Like 1

Update: Mostly done with The Heights (except for anything that is long dead that we have no updated info on, or things which we will have to scout out in the field).

Moving onto Universities, community colleges, and ISD projects.

• Like 3

Can someone go onto the map, click on Texas Tower and say whether you are able to see images or not? If you guys can see them then I'll start adding images to the other stuff at some point. Just "at" my name and say yes or no.

10 minutes ago, hindesky said:

@Luminare Yes

Excellent. Thanks.

EDIT: It also looks like Google limits me to 10 pics per element, and so I'll probably take some images out and place in construction updates at the back end of set.

Edited by Luminare

This morning the map has surpassed 4000 views! Glad y'all have been interested in this project. Nowhere near where I want it to be, but its getting there. Have been all over the map of late, but I have added a bunch of West Loop projects, been throwing some projects on there since subscribing to HBJ, a bunch of U of H projects + master plan items are on the map (not done with u of h yet). Hope this has been helpful to everyone to get a bigger picture on development in Houston. Going to really knuckle down this weekend and get a whole bunch more on there. Mostly education still (been distracted by other projects to put on the map), but then try to clean house on the neighborhood sub forums.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Development Map update:

Most neighborhood subforums are now on the map (at least things with updates dating back to the beginning of this year).

The only neighborhood subforums I haven't really touched are the "Other Neighborhoods" and the new "Houston Enclaves" subforums. Will work those in soon.

In a bigger announcement, pretty much all loopnet listed properties withing 610 have been plotted on the map. I would say a good 95% of these don't have dedicated threads...and I'm not going to create them haha. That would just take way to much time. If people look around the map and find something that doesn't have a thread yet (just look in the description and in the "forum discussion" part if it has a "(TBD)" then that means no thread exists), then by all means create a thread if you find the property interesting, have insider info/rumors of something happening, or something that should get some notice in a thread. As far as plotting loopnet info outside of 610....depends. I'm going to only plot loopnet info if its in an area that is seeing good development activity (Uptown, 34th Street, etc...), where new urban cores are developing, or if its next to potential growth or big projects in the area that they are in, or if its a massive property that has potential to be developed.

Thats about it for now.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 7/26/2019 at 12:43 AM, mattyt36 said:

The light rail extension needs to be built and some derivative of the complete street also needs to be built to transform Washington Ave. A median would help so much.

Wasn’t Washington Ave TX-75 back in the day? 

Quoting myself ...

Just read that this extension has already been abandoned due to lack of planning before November ballot. It probably was already when I posted back in July ... I need to keep up!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...

So I was looking at a good amount of the proposed/under construction projects, and something caught my eye. That is the astounding amount of tall buildings going up. 

Here's a list of 150+m under construction/Proposed (some of these are just eye test) 

1. Texas Tower: 735'

2. The Preston: 549'

3-5?. Laneways: 570'-600' (there may be even more towers)

6. 7200 main Tower 1: looks to be in the 800' range, but might be shorter/taller

7. The Allen condo tower: looks to be in the 500' range, but there's the chance it might be taller. 

8. Innovation Tower: From the looks of it, it might be in the 700' range considering the height of Latitude. 

9. McNair tower: I'm feeling 600' range, but it might be even taller. 

From what it looks like there's potentially 9 150m+ tower proposed/under construction. It might be even more considering the laneway developer, and some other developments I might of missed. 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

With the latest attack on that Saudi facility, oil prices sharply rose. While this is normally bad for construction in some cities, this tends to be a boost for Houston. Not great to see this kind of activity going on in the world, but higher prices do tend to be Houston's gain overall. Do we have any thoughts on what this could mean for development here in town? No effect at all? New round of development coming because of higher prices? Just an anomaly that others won't act on?

*fyi lets disregard political or geopolitical discussions. This question is only related to development implications*

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Luminare said:

With the latest attack on that Saudi facility, oil prices sharply rose. While this is normally bad for construction in some cities, this tends to be a boost for Houston. Not great to see this kind of activity going on in the world, but higher prices do tend to be Houston's gain overall. Do we have any thoughts on what this could mean for development here in town? No effect at all? New round of development coming because of higher prices? Just an anomaly that others won't act on?

*fyi lets disregard political or geopolitical discussions. This question is only related to development implications*

While Houston might not be as depended on oil as it use to be, it's still a big chunk of the local economy. I could see this spur development that was cancelled after the 2014 boom, also is might bring in a new wave of development on top of the giant wave we're going through right now.  

All in all higher oil prices will bring in more developments than lower price. Hell we might get that chevron tower we're waiting for. 

Edited by TheSirDingle
  • Like 6

On 9/16/2019 at 9:40 AM, Luminare said:

With my company they might adjust development timelines but even that is unlikely.  There is a real concern of shifting energy policies and potential global slowdown.  The key buzzword now is "value"

Edited by BeerNut
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/16/2019 at 9:40 AM, Luminare said:

Oil prices are now lower than they were before the attack. This is because the world is awash in oil while the global economy founders due to the China trade war. Also, the attack was overhyped by news outlets hoping to get clicks with "$100 oil?" article titles. Only a Middle Eastern war will really push oil higher right now.

• Like 1

On 9/23/2019 at 8:58 PM, Purdueenginerd said:

I noticed a demolition project this weekend and dont want to open new thread on it. . On TC Jester, and Schuler (cross) near rice military. Theres a small 1 story building thats been demolished there. -- Is there a forum thread for it?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Texasota said:

The pre-WWII city was built on relatively high ground. 

I guess you've forgotten about the Great Floods of 1929 and 1935 that led to the building of the Barker and Addicks Dams?

"In fact, it was devastating flooding that led to the construction of the dams. Long before the record-setting rains from Hurricane Harvey, there were the deadly 1929 and 1935 Great Floods of Houston." 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/retropolis/wp/2017/08/30/houstons-besieged-dams-compromised-by-harvey-rainfall-were-built-70-years-ago-after-devastating-floods/

Edited by MidCenturyMoldy
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, About Downtown said:

In order for Houston to avoid becoming a future Detroit we have to do something on the flooding issues.  Do we really think CEO' s will relocate to Houston rather than Dallas or Austin if we experience these horrific flooding issues every few years.

Sea level rise and stronger and more frequent hurricanes, along with more frequent major to catastrophic rain events won't help, either.

• Like 1

American Meteorological Society July 2018, article by Philip Klotzbach et al. No increase in US Landfalling hurricane frequency nor intensity since the 1880's. Vecchi and Knutson Geophysical Fluid Dynamic Laboratory, NOAA: No increase in Atlantic Tropical Storms from 1878 to 2006. 

So what has increased? Huge population growth, increase property loss, and increase media coverage. 

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/26/2019 at 10:28 AM, Luminare said:

Added that and all of Lovett Commercials holdings last night, which are possible development for Sawyer Yards.

GrV8ZMR.jpg

I noticed that your map has light rail stations along Washington Ave. Have these been approved? Are they still happening?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jsabo said:

I noticed that your map has light rail stations along Washington Ave. Have these been approved? Are they still happening?

They were briefly added into the MetroNEXT plans and they were scrapped the next month when they said that they wouldn't have enough time to study the corridor to make it work. 

So yeah, not happening. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jsabo said:

What @wilcal states is the truth, and...

6 hours ago, wilcal said:

They were briefly added into the MetroNEXT plans and they were scrapped the next month when they said that they wouldn't have enough time to study the corridor to make it work. 

So yeah, not happening. 

I've been really busy the past couple months, so I haven't been able to update the map, in general since about September. Will be getting back to this in the New Year with work load shifting to other areas.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

This past week I've gotten back to updating the map after a few months. The end of last year got really busy. Was going to start a new thread for the map, but I'll just keep everything here. I will normally be posting map updates Sunday evenings in the future which will include project updates and changes to project categories which will be listed below.

In other news, I've started developing a project tracker spreadsheet to go along with the map. Once I get a good head start on this I'll be looking to enlist both active mods and trusted HAIF contributors to help keep it updated with special editing permissions. This however won't be done until I get the map to a version 1.0. Right now its basically in Alpha stage where I'm still figuring out categories, and various information breakdowns that will be useful. Please feel free to let me know if you have any ideas to help improve the spread sheet. I've also developed a tab called "Overall Stats" which will eventually pull statistics from the various tabs (number of projects per district, number counts for firms and their projects, sqft for different project types, etc...)

Here is the link @Urbannizer could you add this link with the map link please? Thanks.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12R-HUQA61iHwOnsu3ejahd4vDlz3UuWjOSaE_na2xp4/edit?usp=sharing

Added to the Map:

-- Proposed --

BROADSTONE EADO

AMCAL MIDTOWN

-- Under Construction --

HILTON GARDEN INN / HOME2 SUITES

Changes in Category:

-- Proposed --> Potential Development --

THE MIX

-- Proposed --> Demolition --

MONTROSE COLLECTIVE

LANEWAYS (PHASE 2) | KIMPTON HOTEL

As you can see not a lot of 'actual' updates since I was starting from the very top of "Going Up" and updating small parts of info while adding to the spreadsheet. Looking to get more done this week.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1