Development List For Buildings In Houston

Urbannizer

I've been struck by the sustained rise in both oil and natural gas prices in just three months. It should be good for the local economy. Still disappointed that Houston can't compete for some of the corporate relocations such as the rumored Goldman Sachs regional campus going into the Insurrection Belt in Far North Dallas...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/22/2021 at 1:48 PM, The Watcher said:

I've noticed the wonderful development map that the community has created here hasn't been updated in quite some time. I'm not sure who's in charge of it but I would love to see the all of the new projects be added as well as the existing projects get updated. 

@Luminareis in charge of the community created map, he move to Utah to start a new job so not sure how involved he wants to be.  

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

On 8/22/2021 at 12:48 PM, The Watcher said:

I've noticed the wonderful development map that the community has created here hasn't been updated in quite some time. I'm not sure who's in charge of it but I would love to see the all of the new projects be added as well as the existing projects get updated. 

You and me both. I know its cliché at this point, but the answer is....Covid, or I should say the economics of Covid. Not only did it completely disrupt my life, but it also realigned others priorities whom I had hoped would be able to assist. No ones fault really, just life happens.

4 hours ago, BeerNut said:

@Luminareis in charge of the community created map, he move to Utah to start a new job so not sure how involved he wants to be.  

What @BeerNut says here is the truth. Moved to Utah when I found a job here after I picked up and left Houston.

Currently the map is on indefinite hold, unless someone is willing to really dedicate time, and hit it hard. Its what this project deserves. Someone like a @Highrise Tower or an @Urbannizer , but both those guys already do so much for the forum already that I would like to hand this off to someone who will make this their contribution to the forum. If that can happen then I can take more of an overseer/consultant role for the project. I had big plans for it, but again life twists and turns in crazy ways.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, toxtethogrady said:

So oil just hit $80 a barrel. Party time again?

I saw that too.  Not sure yet what impact, if any, this price increase is going to have.  Many company budgets are already set for 2022 with cautious spending programs and project economics based on $55/bbl +/- long term.  Unless the supermajors think this price level is going to hang around for more than 5 years or so, no one is going to want to risk spending megamillions on long term payout projects that only fly at > $55/bbl.  We've been here too many times before and been burned.  Remember, the cure for high oil prices is high oil prices and the cure for low oil prices is low oil prices.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Bisnow article about Houston Retail Demand & Construction.....

"Houston is outpacing all other U.S. major metros when it comes to retail demand and construction deliveries, according to CBRE's latest market analysis— one of a pair of new reports indicating the city is poised for a strong retail rebound going into 2022."

https://www.bisnow.com/houston/news/retail/two-submarkets-help-buoy-houston-into-stronger-2022-retail-market-111561

• Like 7

I'll be visiting Houston in late April. I definitely have a few projects I want to see like Montrose Collective, Post HTX, and the Ion. Anything else I should see? I'll be bringing my camera and taking pictures. Also off topic for this thread, but any new restaurants I should try? I'm sure there's been a bunch of new places popping up since I left Jan. of 2021. Also if anyone is interested in meeting up, I'm game for that as well.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 1

On 1/26/2022 at 10:55 AM, Luminare said:

I'll be visiting Houston in late April. I definitely have a few projects I want to see like Montrose Collective, Post HTX, and the Ion. Anything else I should see? I'll be bringing my camera and taking pictures. Also off topic for this thread, but any new restaurants I should try? I'm sure there's been a bunch of new places popping up since I left Jan. of 2021. Also if anyone is interested in meeting up, I'm game for that as well.

Have you seen the Kinder MFAH? Think it opened late 2020

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Naviguessor said:

While in the Museum district, you shouldn't miss the Menil Drawing Institute and the Rothko Chapel, Visitor Center and new landscaping.  

Yes, Rothko was still closed before I left. I actually was at the grand opening week for the Menil Drawing Institute, but will be doing a walk through my old hood (Montrose).

• Like 2

On 1/26/2022 at 10:55 AM, Luminare said:

Make sure you swing through Memorial Park to see the progress there.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Where are Houston's Fortune 500 companies?

"Downtown maintained its status as the top location for Houston’s Fortune 500 companies, although north Houston just made two big scores with Exxon Mobil and Hewlett Packard Enterprise."

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/texas-inc/article/where-are-houston-fortune-500-companies-located-16933965.php

jgBZYdF.jpg

• Like 9

42 minutes ago, hindesky said:

Where are Houston's Fortune 500 companies?

"Downtown maintained its status as the top location for Houston’s Fortune 500 companies, although north Houston just made two big scores with Exxon Mobil and Hewlett Packard Enterprise."

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/texas-inc/article/where-are-houston-fortune-500-companies-located-16933965.php

jgBZYdF.jpg

Wow.  Ten downtown.  That is almost certainly second only to NYC.  (FWIW, Dallas has 4 downtown and 2 in Uptown.  Chicago has about 7 downtown.  Atlanta has 2 downtown and 1 in Midtown.)

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 7

• 1 month later...
On 2/25/2022 at 1:45 PM, Houston19514 said:

Wow.  Ten downtown.  That is almost certainly second only to NYC.  (FWIW, Dallas has 4 downtown and 2 in Uptown.  Chicago has about 7 downtown.  Atlanta has 2 downtown and 1 in Midtown.)

Dallas almost can't be compared, because a lot of companies are in those suburban places north and west of the city. I would not be surprised if Frisco and Westlake rival Downtown.

And Exxon Mobil should not be on the list till next year. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"Houston built 72,000 luxury units in the last decade, according to data from Storage Cafe, in a national market that is largely only building new luxury complexes. That was enough to beat its next closest competitors, New York City (61,000 units) and Austin (59,000 units)."

https://www.bisnow.com/houston/news/multifamily/as-inflation-rises-houston-has-built-the-highest-number-of-luxury-apartments-in-the-country-113902

• Like 8

Clearly we are moving into a recession next quarter. If anyone wants to disagree you are free to do so, but this will not be my question to you guys. We have been lucky thus far to see a string of project activations when in past cycles even the slightest sniff of a recession brought a wave of cancellations. What are still some projects out there that are close to activation, but need to activate now, or they will be likely canceled in the next 3-6 months? Curious as my focus has been off the Houston market for awhile now.

• Like 1

@Luminare what I’ve heard from clients is: they’re wanting to get started on projects so that when they are completed we will be emerging/have emerged from recession… seems many are thinking that it won’t be as deep or painful as others.   Only time will tell?

Edited by arche_757
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1