Development List For Buildings In Houston

Urbannizer

On 3/29/2016 at 2:41 PM, Twinsanity02 said:

I checked the numbers on the census.gov for MSA. It lists Houston MSA 2015 as 6,656,947 and Houston MSA 2014 as 6,490,180.  This comes out as 166,767. What ever number 159 K or 166 K they are huge numbers. Do not know if this is the largest ever.  I know Chicago grew very fast in the 19th century and LA in the 20th but don't know the numbers.

159k isn't even Houston's best, let alone the best ever per metro. Houston, DFW, NY, LA has been hitting that and more every now and then for the last 40 years. Atlanta was hitting those numbers at the start of the 2000s. Miami got there a couple times. 

But yeah,  Houston's best years were the early 80s surprisingly since we had a lot less people to bare kids.

In fact, the year before, Houston grew by 163K. Houston's best year was 82. We grew by 195k. There were 70k births and 30k deaths. So 155k was just from people moving here. If we had that many last year our total number would have been 215k because natural increase was 60k (98k births minus 38k deaths). I think LA had a couple 200k plus years. Houston's current growth is nothing new

Keep your eyes open in the med center area because that is where most of the new construction is taking place. 4 new hospital towers in  Texas Childrens, Herman, Methodist and St Lukes /Baylor, a couple of high rise residential towers, and some new mixed use projects are on the boards and in different stages of construction. 

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I'm excited about the progress we've made and am a proud Houstonian but does anyone ever get bummed when looking at other more dense

cities like Chicago and even Seattle?  I seen this photo and kinda got bummed thinking how far we still have to go to fill in downtown.

image.jpeg

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, nate4l1f3 said:

I'm excited about the progress we've made and am a proud Houstonian but does anyone ever get bummed when looking at other more dense

cities like Chicago and even Seattle?  I seen this photo and kinda got bummed thinking how far we still have to go to fill in downtown.

image.jpeg

I don't get too bummed about it.  Houston is a Sunbelt city, which also has multiple areas (Galleria, Medical Center) that would rival the DTs of other urban areas.  We're getting there, but I think its easier to create density in urban areas with zoning laws and natural boundaries (i.e., Lake Michigan, Puget Sound).

• Like 1

I'm not upset at all. Go watch the opening of the movie Urban Cowboy and compare it to the skyhawk video. The downtown was a mass of tall buildings all cluster west of Main giving it a lopsided appearance. In addition midtown was a wasteland all the way to the museums. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/19/2016 at 2:56 AM, Timoric said:

As we catch our breath and see how far we have come, I was looking around for where Houston ranks as a tall city.

I found this site.

https://skyscrapercenter.com/city/houston

I thought these rankings were interesting:

Global Ranking #23 in the world by no. of 150m+ completed buildings
Regional Ranking #4 in North America by no. of 150m+ completed buildings
Country Ranking

#3 in USA by no. of 150m+ completed buildings

Give it time. Houston is still relatively new in this regard seeing how the growth has only really taken off just recently.

Now, would anyone happen to know why the site linked has a Chinese language option?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/6/2016 at 3:13 PM, nate4l1f3 said:

image.jpeg

Honestly it's working for Houston. Unlike other cities that developed from the core outwards, Houston developed in pockets that are finally starting to merge together cohesively. What I'm starting to see is the investment downtown is not only to make downtown great but to reconnect the city. 

• Like 8

On 12/8/2016 at 8:10 PM, j_cuevas713 said:

Honestly it's working for Houston. Unlike other cities that developed from the core outwards, Houston developed in pockets that are finally starting to merge together cohesively. What I'm starting to see is the investment downtown is not only to make downtown great but to reconnect the city. 

This is precisely how I see it as well. We should embrace our satellite cities and begin to stitch them together into greater whole rather than trying to start from scratch or abandoning them and start from Downtown. Whats been nice is that the growth is happening in all parts of the city. These merging points where the different districts come together is what will really make Houston interesting in the future.

I make frequent trips to Berlin while here in Germany, and Berlin began in this way. It started with a core, but had a lot of surrounding satellite towns and villages. Over time these towns began to grow into each other creating the greater whole that is Berlin today. After the wall fell it had to do this again, but now its between the east and west. Its these places where east and west combine and the edges of different districts where unique and interesting things take place.

The reroute of I-45 will be Houston's version of this as it slowly reintegrates midtown, eado, and the former 3rd ward, and of course many others around it. Those moments where these parts of the city connect will become our greatest assets. Yeah the main districts of the city will be great as well, but its the clash of different districts when they collide into one another that cool things will happen.

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/4/2014 at 10:08 AM, Houston19514 said:

It does appear that is what he said.  Understanding that he is in the business of marketing office space (so it's in his interest to exaggerate the scarcity) but still that seems like a wild exaggeration.   Even if you consider that he may have meant only three good office sites besides those already spoken for (so excluding the sites for 6 Houston Center, 5 Allen Center, 1500 Smith, Allen Center Clay Street, the 50-story Chevron tower, the adjacent block(s) owned by Chevron, Capitol Tower, One Market Square)... So excluding those 9 or so good office sites, are there really only 3 good office sites left in downtown Houston?

What about...

Block 142 (Milam, Louisiana, Walker, McKinney)

Block 97 (Rusk, Walker, LaBranch, Austin)

Block 251 (Lamar, Dallas, LaBranch, Austin), which would in turn open up 275 and 276, which would  in turn open up 291 and 292

Block 319 (Clay, Bell, Milam, Travis)

Block 318 (Clay, Bell, Travis, Main)

Block 317 (Clay, Bell, Fannin, Main)

Block 335 (Bell, Leeland, Travis, Main)

Block 352 (Leeland, Pease, Travis, Milam)?

And that's without getting into blocks that are/will be candidates for tear-downs (e.g. Block 257).

Too bad this Chevron building in dead. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Latest overview:
https://www.downtownhouston.org/site_media/uploads/attachments/2017-10-12/171011_Development_Map__Renders_11X17.pdf

Another interesting click, if you haven't browsed through this Development Map just yet...:

https://umap.openstreetmap.fr/en/map/houston-developments_57981#13/29.7541/-95.3417

Edited by txtiger
  • Like 6

On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 10:53 AM, txtiger said:

Marquette 24 story building planned to start 2Q 2018... was there some news on that that I missed? Did they get their financing?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

Marquette 24 story building planned to start 2Q 2018... was there some news on that that I missed? Did they get their financing?

I haven't seen anything either. Last I recall hearing was that it was dormant and they re-paved the block.