Houston Botanical Garden At The Glenbrook Golf Course

cloud713

I played Glenbrook for the first time last month. I was impressed. It was actually a much nicer course than I expected. Lots of trees, quite a bit of terrain. I haven't seen the Gus. But having seen Glenbrook made me even more eager for this project. It's turn out great, I'm confident of that. 

That being said, I agree, that Gus would make a better location and initially, a superior garden. But, since really, only one Golf Course was going to survive, its right that Gus Wortham did.  It's the better, and more historic course. 

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, Naviguessor said:

I played Glenbrook for the first time last month. I was impressed. It was actually a much nicer course than I expected. Lots of trees, quite a bit of terrain. I haven't seen the Gus. But having seen Glenbrook made me even more eager for this project. It's turn out great, I'm confident of that. 

That being said, I agree, that Gus would make a better location and initially, a superior garden. But, since really, only one Golf Course was going to survive, its right that Gus Wortham did.  It's the better, and more historic course. 

Well said sir. Completely agree.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, AnTonY said:

Not that Glenbrook is bad, but Gus was a FAR superior location for this thing. If there's still opportunity, then they really should switch back to Gus.

@bobruss, luckily, the east/southeast sides of Houston have more mature trees and natural lushness compared to areas farther west. That should provide more than enough sight to look at while the garden is growing in.

Very good point. There will be mature trees everywhere.

I've never seen the course so I guess its time for a road trip. Is the property blocked or is it accessible now?

• Like 1

@Naviguessor, actually, upon closer inspection, Glenbrook still looks to be salvageable as an urban location, so far that any future PT line to Hobby is placed along Broadway St. But the resulting urban development is best confined to the triangle bounded by 610, 45S, and Sims Bayou. If need be, 610 and 45S along the area can be sunken, and converted into deck parks to complement the new garden.

Still wouldn't beat the Gus location, though.

Edited by AnTonY
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, AnTonY said:

Another thing: how come Mason Park wasn't considered as an option for this project?

Because it would be beyond stupid to convert a park that has baseball, soccer,and other facilities for a large part of the East End into a place that 30 people per year would visit. Want a botanical garden? Take River Oaks Country Club by eminent domain and build it there. Why screw the less well off folks out of their recreation facilities?

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, Ross said:

Because it would be beyond stupid to convert a park that has baseball, soccer,and other facilities for a large part of the East End into a place that 30 people per year would visit. Want a botanical garden? Take River Oaks Country Club by eminent domain and build it there. Why screw the less well off folks out of their recreation facilities?

It would be so much better to take the River Oaks Country Club. More central location that is already heavily visited and is near the arboretum. But as others have said, the River Oaks folks have enough cash laying around to hold it up in court. It is much easier to take from the poor.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Texasota said:

I'm scared.

Of what?

37 minutes ago, Avossos said:

For reference - The Dallas Arboretum is their botanical garden. It is a little out East but not too bad. it gets 1,000 people per day... It is amazing and truly beautiful.

I bet ours can be just as good or better.

Yeah, if Dallas can do it, then so can Houston's. Even at Glenwood, the garden will still spur enough revitalization to connect East End with the rest of the city.

@Ross, nevermind. Just was going off some initial street-views of the area along the bayou trails.

22 hours ago, AnTonY said:

@samagon, you still have time to play. The golf course operations there don't end until April 1.

@Twinsanity02, yup. Despite what people are thinking, these things aren't necessarily mutually exclusive.

thanks @AnTonY I won't have the opportunity to swing the bats in the next 3 weeks that glenbrook will remain open.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2018/04/16/houston-botanic-garden-starts-transformation-of.html

Houston Botanic Garden starts transformation of former golf course

By Olivia Pulsinelli  – Senior web editor, Houston Business Journal

Apr 16, 2018, 4:26pm

Houston Botanic Garden announced April 16 that it completed the terms of its agreement with the city of Houston and began its lease at the former Glenbrook Park Golf Course on April 2. The first phase of the project's master plan, dubbed "Botanic Beginnings," is expected to open in late 2020, according to an April 16 press release. The site is along Sims Bayou off Interstate 45 between William P. Hobby Airport and the University of Houston.

Some of the "Botanic Beginnings" features will include:

The Global Collection Garden: The primary setting for Houston Botanic Garden’s collections and exhibits will be divided into three zones — arid, subtropical and tropical — and display rare and exotic species.

Edible Garden: This garden will allow visitors to see, smell, touch and taste a variety of edible plants and help visitors understand the history of plant cultivation and how it relates to different cultures.

Event Lawn and Glade: The lawn will provide a variety of programming and events, while the smaller glade will host more inimate events like birthdays and weddings. 

Susan Garver Children’s Discovery Garden: This 3-acre area will incorporate an existing pond as "an oasis for aquatic and carnivorous plants, forests and floating gardens, interspersed with natural play areas for running free and a picnic grove," per the release.

Prior to the ticketed area of the garden, there will be 11 acres of features such as: 

Botanic Boulevard: A tree-lined entrance off Park Place Boulevard, including a vehicular bridge that will cross the Sims Bayou.

Picnic Grove: An area for visitors to gather among new and existing oaks.

Stormwater Detention Wetlands: The addition of stormwater wetlands ponds also will serve as an exhibit on how green infrastructure and plants can help with flood control and water purification. 

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
5 hours ago, zaphod said:

So are they going to get rid of the sports fields and pool too?

This project is kind of lame for destroying active recreation opportunities for very expensive yet functionless features.The neighborhood was right to feel sold out.

Active? I use to have to go there multiple times at any given time maybe s dozen cars in the lot...I think they will be alright 

• Like 9