5 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

26206278274_46f7876449_h.jpgHouston by russell.hancock, on Flickr

This is a great photo don't get me wrong, but am I the only one who hates this view of downtown? It looks so un-urban and boring. If they sold the land and added some buildings/density it could actually be a great area especially with Houston City Hall. Just my opinion, but I want to know if anyone else agrees.

• Like 4

I actually kind of agree, especially when viewed at ground level.  I get why it's so prominently featured as there is a nice parkland and bayou running in the foreground, but the buildings are really spaced out and it just doesn't look dense. 

I think the best view is from the east. I like the stair step of the older important buildings like the Gulf, Esperson, Pennzoil, and the counties historical buildings out front, with all of the skyscrapers in the back. It just feels a lot more like a city with some depth to it and not a movie set facade.

I love the buildings and coming in from 45 north is always breathtaking but I still like the wittiness of the east. Feels real.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, bobruss said:

I think the best view is from the east. I like the stair step of the older important buildings like the Gulf, Esperson, Pennzoil, and the counties historical buildings out front, with all of the skyscrapers in the back. It just feels a lot more like a city with some depth to it and not a movie set facade.

I love the buildings and coming in from 45 north is always breathtaking but I still like the wittiness of the east. Feels real.

Perhaps I'm shallow, but I've come to embrace the west view. As said above there's not a bad side, but the full force of 50, then 70 story skyscrapers piercing the forest is magnificent. Not the northwest view aligned with the grid of Downtown but the west and slightly southwest views of the bridges crossing the bayou and Westheimer (west of shepherd). Makes me appreciate the postmodern boom days from which we have yet to see any economic times comes close. We may never. The late 70's/early 80's were to Houston what the late 20's/early 30's were to New York. Or even the 60's/70's to Chicago.

Sure we have all grown since then but never a defining and across the board standard of a style.

13 hours ago, HoustonBoy said:

This is a great photo don't get me wrong, but am I the only one who hates this view of downtown? It looks so un-urban and boring. If they sold the land and added some buildings/density it could actually be a great area especially with Houston City Hall. Just my opinion, but I want to know if anyone else agrees.

Hate it as well, while the towers look amazing it's just too scattered. My co workers here in Michigan, googled Houston skyline and the first pictures they come across are these and they always say wow that height is impressive but no density. I need to pull out views from 45N, 10E and 288 (which is my favorite) in order to show the real density of our skyline which is more impressive.

Then they begin talking about Detroit's but that's a whole other conversation. 

• Like 2

I wish they'd do something about the parking garage for Allen Center, and 1600 Smith. Also demolish the Doubletree hotel and the parking structure in front of it and build a few residential/mixed-use structures, this part of Downtown needs some diversity. The Theater District Master Plan should help.

• Like 5

In all honesty, it would be nice to have Sam Houston Park relocated to the southern side of downtown. Also, instead of the oddly sprawling layout of the park, it would be more interesting to have all of those houses situated along a park "boulevard" or sorts to make it feel like an old neighborhood. Then, the land around the main drag could be used as a lawn with nice trees. The way it sits now, SH Park looks somewhat haphazardly laid out.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Urbannizer said:

I wish they'd do something about the parking garage for Allen Center, and 1600 Smith. Also demolish the Doubletree hotel and the parking structure in front of it and build a few residential/mixed-use structures, this part of Downtown needs some diversity. The Theater District Master Plan should help.

OMG YES! Couldn't agree more!

4 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

I agree that diversity is needed badly in this part (I work in Allen Center and park in the hideous garage), but i know that the parking garage you speak of will not be torn down anytime soon as it is fairly new. The Doubletree wont be going anywhere either. Our best hope is that residential from across 45 bleeds into this area. The big Allen Center Garage has the Met Club on top of it. No plans for that leaving. Best that can happen is a renovation / beautification. They certainly can plant trees in front of it to disguise it a bit.

The western view of downtown is breathtaking at night. It's a welcome home sign when I am coming from a trip out west.  But during daylight hours to me the best view is from the southeast in the proximity of the UH area. Along 288 the views are awesome from almost the beltway into town.