Greenway Hotels are business orientated (most in this city are), but there are plenty of options at both to walk around and eat. One of them is on the light rail with access to the park & midtown/downtown ;).

You're right. But still - we need a great hotel on Kirby. We need it!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
1 hour ago, BigBlueContractor said:

This is a next cycle project. Renderings I saw showed High End Hotel, Residential Towers (2), and an office. If market conditions get better, this might be one of the first big projects that gets out of the ground first for next cycle - to be the first to deliver.

Thanks for the info! Any idea on the height?

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

This hasn't been mentioned in a long while. I drove by here today and they have erected a painted plywood fence six feet high completely blocking any view of the site.

It looks pretty serious like a project getting ready to start type of construction fence. I don't want to get everyone excited but 

it looks promising.

• Like 4

The painted plywood surrounds this site on three sides (the west side is open), maybe related to the Super Bowl effort to put some lipstick on an empty lot. Just a guess....

Regarding a hotel for this area, the owners of the majority of the block bounded by Kirby/Rice Blvd/Bolsover/Kelvin in Rice Village should tear down the antiquated and under performing one-story strip center and the CVS and partner with a hotel in the 3-4* range. Build a 5-story parking structure with the hotel tower on top and ground floor commercial space. You would be hard-pressed to find a shopping district anywhere in the world with the shopping and restaurants found in Rice Village without a hotel. This is the most walkable outdoor area in the Houston metropolitan area and visitors to the Med Center/Galleria/Greenway/Upper Kirby would flock to a decent hotel where they can walk to eat/drink/shop. Not to mention that this would alleviate the parking problem for Rice Village.

I spoke with someone in the hotel industry two years ago and asked why they have not considered a hotel for Rice Village. They claimed the area wouldn't support a 4-5* hotel, which seems utterly ridiculous.

You might be able to tell that I LOVE spending other people's money!    

• Like 8

A small boutique hotel that serves the Village and University would do well. There's a reason all of the Greenway and TMC hotels offer free shuttle service to the Village and that's because those areas don't offer their guests (especially long term ones at the TMC) with what they need.

• Like 5

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • The title was changed to Corporate Plaza Buildings On Kirby Dr.
  • 1 year later...