Is Houston's Status As One Of The Tallest Cities Fading?

citykid09

It seems HAIF has been nearly dead lately, so I came up with this new topic to create some conversation.

Many tall buildings are going up across the country, many tall enough to make Houston's tallest (JP Morgan Chase Tower) look like nothing. Even Oklahoma City is building a 925 foot tower. Cities such as Boston, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, Miami, San Fransisco, etc have plans for buildings taller than JP Morgan Chase Tower. We all all know New York and Chicago have plenty of taller building going up. Houston lost its status as the #3 skyline in the last decade to Miami will it fall further down the list in the next decade? I know many of the building have been put on hold, but what will happen after the economy picks up? Do you think all of those towers in those other cities will get built? Do you think Houston will see any super tall proposals? Hopefully Texas can see the building boom that Florida, California, etc saw in the last decade. After all we are the fastest growing state. Do don't see any reason why developers wouldn't look to Texas first after we recover from the recession.

A list of the tallest approved, proposed, and under construction buildings in the United States.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_under_construction,_approved,_and_proposed_buildings_in_the_United_States

One other thing, it amazes me how in cities such as Miami and Dubai although over built, keep building and building. Why is that?

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because they have a lot of oil money. But not enough obviously since they're now in danger of default.

What about Houston's oil money? Is it no match to Dubai's? Are they now the oil capital of the world? Also I saw a video the other day on Oklahoma City's building boom and how it is claiming to be the new Oil Capital.

Houston doesn't have a command economy, it has a free market. The Sheikh gets all the money in United Arab Emirates and can spend it on whatever foolish dreams he pleases. Here in Houston we spend our money on what we each think is best, and little personal islands out in the Gulf in the shape of a palm tree isn't our idea of fiscal prudence.

Tall buildings are monuments unto the phallus; they serve no noble purpose. There are some investors that are able to luck out by timing the market, however the longer the project schedule and more out of the ordinary is the scope of work, the less likely it is that they will be financially successful.

Yet, many otherwise intelligent individuals are arrogant, greedy, impulsive, egotistical, narcissistic, and yet feel inadequate. In the deep recesses of their animal mind is the prospect that if they associate themselves with something unique and glamorous, they'll be able to achieve better mating opportunities, both qualitatively and quantitatively. And so investing in a gigantic penis statue makes sense to them. The poor suckers don't realize a simple truth, that money is most effectively made when it is not worn as though it were a suit. As someone who's been there and done that, this is my advice: Aim low. Be competent; be unimpressive and also unimpressed. Only profit is sexy. Foreclosures are not.

What about Houston's oil money? Is it no match to Dubai's? Are they now the oil capital of the world? Also I saw a video the other day on Oklahoma City's building boom and how it is claiming to be the new Oil Capital.

You're confusing advertising slogans for truth and opinion for fact.

Tall buildings are monuments unto the phallus; they serve no noble purpose.

Giza, Egypt:

pyramid3.jpg

Tikal, Guatemala (Maya):

tikal+pyramid.jpg

Teotihuacan:

Teotihuacan1.jpg

Cahokia (a personal favorite - outside St Louis):

cahokia.jpg

China (pyramid of the Terracotta Army):

2009F09F11809853421.jpg

Despite the religious reasoning for building these, these were all really built as extensions of the phallus. But, you know the unifying theme with these in the photos?

None of the kingdoms still exist. None.

But you can buy tacky tourist crap at every one. More tall buildings serve no purpose beyond bragging rights and as places to sell tacky crap in the future..

Yawn.

There are cranes all over this city right now. Sure, nothing is 925 feet tall, but you know what? I don't care.

Let OKC have their ONE monument. I'd rather get a Hess Tower, Main Place, Embassy Suites, MD Anderson Admin Tower, Memorial Hermann Tower, Highland Tower, Maternity Center at Texas Children's, Westin Memorial City, etc...

Because they have a lot of oil money. But not enough obviously since they're now in danger of default.

Dubai doesn't have that much oil money - it's prodution is a fraction of Abu Dhabi's. That's a big reason Dubai started building and trying to diversify the economy by becoming a trade and financial hub. Unfotunately, they overextended and are going through some tough times.

Last I checked, Houston still has the 3rd tallest skyline.

Last I checked no other city, save Chicago or NYC, have 3 buildings over 900 ft, 4 when counting One Shell Plaza's 1000 ft antanae, which would give us 2 supertalls with antannae height, again only Chicago or NYC would exceed us in supertalls then.

Last I checked, our 3rd tallest building could be the tallest building in cities like San Fransisco, Charlotte, Pittsburgh, Indianapolis, Minneapolis, Miami, and Boston.

What is really happening is that Houston's status as one of the tallest cities isn't fading, just the status of other cities of being tall cities is strenghtening.

Tall buildings are monuments unto the phallus; they serve no noble purpose. There are some investors that are able to luck out by timing the market, however the longer the project schedule and more out of the ordinary is the scope of work, the less likely it is that they will be financially successful.

Yet, many otherwise intelligent individuals are arrogant, greedy, impulsive, egotistical, narcissistic, and yet feel inadequate. In the deep recesses of their animal mind is the prospect that if they associate themselves with something unique and glamorous, they'll be able to achieve better mating opportunities, both qualitatively and quantitatively. And so investing in a gigantic penis statue makes sense to them. The poor suckers don't realize a simple truth, that money is most effectively made when it is not worn as though it were a suit. As someone who's been there and done that, this is my advice: Aim low. Be competent; be unimpressive and also unimpressed. Only profit is sexy. Foreclosures are not.

Are you suggesting that Jeanne Gang is really a man?

P.S. - As Marge Simpson once said, "Aim low, kids. Aim so low you can't possibly fail."

After the 1980s economy collapse building designers have been much more conservative about projects in Houston.

Tell me about! But that was nearly 30 years ago. Its time to move on and bring back that power that that time represented in Houston.

Tell me about! But that was nearly 30 years ago. Its time to move on and bring back that power that that time represented in Houston.

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

George Santayana

To wit: Why would Houston need more tall buildings when there is so much unleased space in downtown?

Buy the land, get the investors and get it done. Stop expecting everybody else to do your work for you.

Once you get your harsh lesson in the realities of economics we'll all be happy to commiserate with you and your miserable choices to build big, build now and to give no heed to the future.

Houston doesn't have a command economy, it has a free market. The Sheikh gets all the money in United Arab Emirates and can spend it on whatever foolish dreams he pleases. Here in Houston we spend our money on what we each think is best, and little personal islands out in the Gulf in the shape of a palm tree isn't our idea of fiscal prudence.

I would hardly call attempts at diversification foolish.

I went on a road trip for Christmas to Conneticut, and I can say I stoped and went through many places and nothing was close to Houstons skyline. I even went to NYC and it did not seem really tall except for Manhantan, even it really did not seem overly taller than Houston.

It seems HAIF has been nearly dead lately, so I came up with this new topic to create some conversation.

Many tall buildings are going up across the country, many tall enough to make Houston's tallest (JP Morgan Chase Tower) look like nothing. Even Oklahoma City is building a 925 foot tower. Cities such as Boston, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, Miami, San Fransisco, etc have plans for buildings taller than JP Morgan Chase Tower. We all all know New York and Chicago have plenty of taller building going up. Houston lost its status as the #3 skyline in the last decade to Miami will it fall further down the list in the next decade? I know many of the building have been put on hold, but what will happen after the economy picks up? Do you think all of those towers in those other cities will get built? Do you think Houston will see any super tall proposals? Hopefully Texas can see the building boom that Florida, California, etc saw in the last decade. After all we are the fastest growing state. Do don't see any reason why developers wouldn't look to Texas first after we recover from the recession.

A list of the tallest approved, proposed, and under construction buildings in the United States.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_under_construction,_approved,_and_proposed_buildings_in_the_United_States

Who really gives a flip about "proposed" buildings, especially in the current economy? Exactly NONE of the buildings you are concerned about (at least outside of NYC) are currently under construction. Almost none of them will ever be constructed, especially among those in Philadelphia, Miami, San Francisco, Boston, etc. Any chance you could provide a list the "plenty" of buildings "we all know" are going up in NYC and Chicago that are taller than our Chase Tower?

and fwiw, the Devon Tower in OKC is now planned to be 908 feet, not 925.

Archived