There was an RFI for the 80-acres UT still controlled back in 2019.

RFI No.: 720-1930 Request for Information - Ground Lease and/or Joint Development of approximately 80 Acres of Land west of Buffalo Speedway and bisected by Willowbend Boulevard, Houston, Texas.

The recent HBJ article mentioned the Texas Medical Center had partners. Did the UT System and TMC go into a partnership for a joint development? I also remember hearing Fertitta was opened to a joint development.

The UT land is, in total, 307 acres.  Did the TMC purchase more land on Buffalo Speedway/Holmes Road?  I know there are several large tracts for sale out there.

ob3u5iP.png

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Twinsanity02 said:

My brain is having trouble incorporating this. Hopefully this is not a dream. Let me understand this. In addition to TMC3, Levit Green, Texas A&M growth, the McNair building, this is also going up? Will this be considered part of the TMC?

Brain is now functioning. Answered my own questions.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

On 9/20/2022 at 10:41 PM, Highrise Tower said:

There was an RFI for the 80-acres UT still controlled back in 2019.

RFI No.: 720-1930 Request for Information - Ground Lease and/or Joint Development of approximately 80 Acres of Land west of Buffalo Speedway and bisected by Willowbend Boulevard, Houston, Texas.

The recent HBJ article mentioned the Texas Medical Center had partners. Did the UT System and TMC go into a partnership for a joint development? I also remember hearing Fertitta was opened to a joint development.

The UT land is, in total, 307 acres.  Did the TMC purchase more land on Buffalo Speedway/Holmes Road?  I know there are several large tracts for sale out there.

ob3u5iP.png

UT weren't mentioned in the announcement though, were they? It seems that TMC bought the land from them, which would make sense, since UT were selling it. I just wonder how much of that land they acquired? Though, however much of the land they got, this is a much better use of it than simply leaving it vacant.

Edited by Big E
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, talltexan83 said:

It would be great to see some kind of hike & bike trail that connects this parcel to the rest of the TMC.  Cutting through the NRG/rodeo/Astrodome parking lots and over the old Astroworld pedestrian bridge.  This would be a great excuse to improve the pedestrian experience in and around NRG....

Don't forget World Cup in 2026....so hopefully this is at least on someone's radar.  Too bad the former Astroworld plot isn't somehow in play in all of this

• Like 5

Texas Medical Center's new biomanufacturing center to bring 100,000 jobs to Houston https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/article/Texas-Medical-Center-planning-to-build-500-acre-17457273.php

“The TMC BioPort campus would be located on a piece of land near the intersection of Buffalo Speedway and Holmes Road, just west of Wildcat Golf Club, just a few miles southwest of the medical center’s main campus. 

The medical center is under contract to buy the land, which is currently held by multiple owners, McKeon said. He declined to identify the owners or discuss the potential sale price while negotiations are ongoing.”

• Like 9

6 hours ago, Big E said:

UT weren't mentioned in the announcement though, were they? It seems that TMC bought the land from them, which would make sense, since UT were selling it. I just wonder how much of that land they acquired? Though, however much of the land they got, they is a much better use of it than simply leaving it vacant.

I am interested in the purchase price. Not sure if we will ever know that information.

In 2017, the 307 acres was valued at $232, 867, 800

sOdjzoT.png

More info on the 307 acres (my posting from a few years ago.)

RENixJS.png

6 hours ago, houstontexasjack said:

Texas Medical Center's new biomanufacturing center to bring 100,000 jobs to Houston https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/article/Texas-Medical-Center-planning-to-build-500-acre-17457273.php

“The TMC BioPort campus would be located on a piece of land near the intersection of Buffalo Speedway and Holmes Road, just west of Wildcat Golf Club, just a few miles southwest of the medical center’s main campus. 

The medical center is under contract to buy the land, which is currently held by multiple owners, McKeon said. He declined to identify the owners or discuss the potential sale price while negotiations are ongoing.”

The article also states the first buildings could begin construction within two years but first they will need to invest about $100 million for infrastructure. Elkus Manfredi is doing the master plan.

• Like 8

Did the TMC purchase this land? I've heard that the TMC BioPort has land still under contract, which this land is.  However, the total 115-acres is separated into different parcels along the way- not concentrated as a whole, continuous, piece of land.  I'm not sure how this would benefit them, unless they also buy the surrounding parcels to adjoin as one. 

42 minutes ago, Highrise Tower said:

Did the TMC purchase this land? I've heard that the TMC BioPort has land still under contract, which this land is.  However, the total 115-acres is separated into different parcels along the way- not concentrated as a whole, continuous, piece of land.  I'm not sure how this would benefit them, unless they also buy the surrounding parcels to adjoin as one. 

The land ownership in that area is fairly complex, with lots of parcels, as shown on the parcel map below(Buffalo Speedway is the road running down the middle). A number of them are owned by one family that started acquiring property there around 2014. I suspect they will make a decent profit selling to TMC

image.png.12ad64e1b924580f1f754c2480248817.png

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Land For Sale - Buffalo Speedway Near Holmes Rd.