Greyhound Bus Station At 2121 Main St.

midtown 4.2

1 hour ago, loon said:

Much appreciated. We still have the Elevated for now.. still plenty of horns to be heard. But man, when people park to let folks out and a bus runs up on them, 12 noon or 4AM it doesn't matter, they just basically lean into the horn and don't stop until they move. 

They aren't messing around, its not even closed yet, they got paper on the windows... 

anyone have any clue who is already under contract for the place? I though greyhound had it till Oct 2024... nice surprise, but I guess they got let out early?

image.jpeg.7370d5053063568e02b7272855674afb.jpeg

I'm the listing broker. The Buyer is confidential for now. All portals will be boarded up Friday and the fence up, security will be present. Greyhound requested release from the lease early.  I hope things get quieter for you!

• Like 4

The Nextdoor people found out 

https://nextdoor.com/p/mQmht649_6yk?post=306185314&utm_source=email&is=tpe&section=cta&mar=true&ct=tfzr1NpvmegZqins1yBghtHCXGH_ZxSNK-JfReQxYb3tpHAgb3K5271FBLuR4nmK&ec=OWKiQRDj9vEHAYwTV6YMARldwuFdgGkeefhwfGYAE0s%3D&mobile_deeplink_data=eyJhY3Rpb24iOiAidmlld19wb3N0IiwgInBvc3QiOiAzMDYxODUzMTR9&link_source_user_id=17635004

East End, Eado, Eastwood people….how am I just hearing about this plan to move the Greyhound bus station to Harrisburg?!? Houston is unbelievable with its ability to shift problems to low income, minority areas with little to no input from the community. This would never happen in The Heights! I want to say, I am not a “Not in my backyard” person. I’ve worked with the homeless and mentally ill. My issue is that instead of addressing the problems that come along with the Greyhound bus station in Midtown, they are just pushing it down the road. Instead of addressing the crime, the unhoused, and mentally ill in Midtown and downtown, they are “hiding” it in residential neighborhoods! This will have a HUGE impact on the whole east end area along the Green line light rail. It will significantly impact the area. If you think you won’t be affected because you are not right next door to the location, that is simply just not true. This could impact Eastwood park, which could become a “hang out”, etc etc. Any thoughts…? I’m at a loss right now 🤷‍♀️

The alarmist comments are pretty funny too

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, McD.land said:

I'm the listing broker. The Buyer is confidential for now. All portals will be boarded up Friday and the fence up, security will be present. Greyhound requested release from the lease early.  I hope things get quieter for you!

NIce, thanks for the info. Can you talk to your buyer into buying El Expresso too :D 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, McD.land said:

uhhhhh,,,,,

Nice. I figured as much :D Wasn't sure though because they definitely haven't enforced any trespassing so far on that building beyond boarding up the windows. Excited to see what unfolds on these blocks. 

I wonder if my landlord knows the person, he mentioned early this year that a person he knew was buying up the blocks, the old BofA building, etc. but staying quiet about it. 

3 minutes ago, loon said:

Nice. I figured as much :D Wasn't sure though because they definitely haven't enforced any trespassing so far on that building beyond boarding up the windows. Excited to see what unfolds on these blocks. 

I wonder if my landlord knows the person, he mentioned early this year that a person he knew was buying up the blocks, the old BofA building, etc. but staying quiet about it. 

No, the Buyer has not bought anything in Midtown previously.  We should know in January if the deal will move forward, fingers crossed!

• Like 7

Not sure if it's just the rain, but the homeless population was significantly reduced when I drove by yesterday evening. There were less than five people under the El Expreso awning. The rest of the area was completely empty.

It's crazy how much potential is available at this location. Three full blocks (Greyhound, gas station, and the MRA-owned block) and two partial blocks (McDonald's and El Expreso) all waiting for someone else to develop first.

Blaming Spider-Man GIF

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, McD.land said:

Thank you for posting pics! Does it look like anyone breached the fence overnight? GC coming to board up windows and doors today.

Nah it seemed quiet over there last night.. nobody even hanging around the fence at all really. 

• 3 weeks later...

the guy quoted in the cnn article is right. We need an intermodal location for bus and train. The only difficulty is that the train station is nearly impossible to find, and the parking lot there is garbage for busses at the moment. The advantage to using the train station as intermodal is that it is in a relatively safe area thanks to all the police officer stations nearby.

• Like 3

On 12/2/2023 at 8:59 AM, loon said:

Sign folks already at work today. 

image.jpeg.691caf526d80b6b260cb0463ca461873.jpeg

Building looks like it would make a good funplex/bowling/skating rink/lazertag type building. 

I wish it was in a less urban setting so it could be saved.

I will be happy if this site and the ones to the left, right, north and south of it all became 4 story apartments like this area: 

https://maps.app.goo.gl/59cXjhf3KWMJAtcd6

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, HoustonIsHome said:

Building looks like it would make a good funplex/bowling/skating rink/lazertag type building. 

I wish it was in a less urban setting so it could be saved.

I will be happy if this site and the ones to the left, right, north and south of it all became 4 story apartments like this area: 

https://maps.app.goo.gl/59cXjhf3KWMJAtcd6

The building is going to be demolished.

• Like 7

On 12/19/2023 at 12:24 PM, corbs315 said:

From the CNN article:  ". . . Greyhound last month closed its centrally-located terminal and moved to a smaller stop with less access to public transit." 

Their new station is a good deal closer to a light rail station and a transit center than the old Midtown station.

On 12/22/2023 at 12:14 AM, Tumbleweed_Tx said:

the guy quoted in the cnn article is right. We need an intermodal location for bus and train. The only difficulty is that the train station is nearly impossible to find, and the parking lot there is garbage for busses at the moment. The advantage to using the train station as intermodal is that it is in a relatively safe area thanks to all the police officer stations nearby.

The new station is at an intermodal location.  I cannot imagine there is much utility to having an intercity bus station adjacent to an Amtrak station, especially Houston's Amtrak station, with its barely-existing service.

44 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

From the CNN article:  ". . . Greyhound last month closed its centrally-located terminal and moved to a smaller stop with less access to public transit." 

Their new station is a good deal closer to a light rail station and a transit center than the old Midtown station.

I mean... "a good deal" is pretty strong. The Downtown TC and adjoining Red Line stop are a 7-minute and a 5-minute walk, respectively,  from the old Greyhound stop, and each has more utility than Magnolia Park/Green Line, I'd say.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, 004n063 said:

I mean... "a good deal" is pretty strong. The Downtown TC and adjoining Red Line stop are a 7-minute and a 5-minute walk, respectively,  from the old Greyhound stop, and each has more utility than Magnolia Park/Green Line, I'd say.

vs. a 1-minute walk to both light rail and transit center from the new location.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...