Greyhound Bus Station At 2121 Main St.

midtown 4.2

2 hours ago, 004n063 said:

Yep, definitely didn't understand the map! You're right that Cleburne is not a major thoroughfare, but it's the best bike route from Midtown to 3rd Ward. 

Just gonna have to manifest that Wheeler Bikeway, I guess!

Blodgett is supposed to be getting bike lanes, although that is a bit further south.

5 hours ago, houstontexasjack said:

Blodgett is supposed to be getting bike lanes, although that is a bit further south.

You mean as part of the METRORapid plan? I'm not gonna hold my breath on full MUPs on that segment. But yeah, there'll be workarounds. Maybe they'll extend the Alabama ones.

11 hours ago, 004n063 said:

You mean as part of the METRORapid plan? I'm not gonna hold my breath on full MUPs on that segment. But yeah, there'll be workarounds. Maybe they'll extend the Alabama ones.

The bike lanes I’m aware of are part of a plan from the City of Houston:

https://www.letstalkhouston.org/third-ward-bikeways

• Thanks 1

On 12/31/2022 at 4:38 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

The 2121 Main St property in Midtown recently changed hands, according to county records.

Taconic Asset Trust acquired the site of the Greyhound Bus terminal. It was purchased from Firstgroup Service Inc. (or may be spelled First Group Service Inc.) some time this month.

On 1/12/2023 at 2:34 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Walking Houston and @CREguy13 are correct. 2121 Main St, the site of the Greyhound Bus terminal / Central DDE Autobuses is on the market.

I'm assuming Taconic Asset Trust, a trust affiliated with Stamford, Connecticut-based Twenty Lake Holdings, is the seller? County records indicate Taconic Asset Trust purchased the property in December, or at least it was added to the county's database that month.

Realty News Report published news of the listing two days ago:

"The bus station property, 2121 Main, is now for sale. It’s 1.4 acres on a block bounded by Main, Fannin, Gray and Webster streets, a half-block south of the Pierce Elevated."

"The site offers 'a unique opportunity to be part of a major Midtown upgrade,' says a sales brochure from Cushman & Wakefield."

https://realtynewsreport.com/bus-station-departure-could-transform-midtown/

On 1/12/2023 at 3:42 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

2121 Main St is listed on Loopnet. I missed it before. The Loopnet listing appears as 2121 Main St, League City in Google search results. But clicking on the link directs to the listing for 2121 Main St, Houston.

Included in the listing:

A unique opportunity to be part of a major Midtown upgrade.

The Greyhound Bus Station, originally built in 1979, is now available.

Located where Midtown and Downtown Houston intersect, the site has excellent access by way of the METRO Rail Red Line connecting all the way to the Texas Medical Center, or by the major thoroughfares bordering the tract: Main St., Fannin St., Webster St., and Gray St.

Midtown has experienced a continued transformation, which will be amplified by the transition from the Greyhound Bus Station to its future use. New developments surrounding the site include residential high rises, mid-rise multifamily, grocers, restaurants, and bars, creating an all-encompassing experience to live, work, and play. 

Property details:

• Land Acres: 1.43 AC

• Building Size: 30,797 SF

• ±1.44 acres in the heart of Midtown, includes existing Greyhound Bus
    Station building, which is ±33,053 SF

•  Situated on the METRO Light Rail Main Line, the property is three
    blocks either direction to a Metro Station. The tract has 2 curb cuts
    on Main St. and 4 curb cuts on Fannin St.

• Greyhound leaseback expires October 2024, positioning the property 
    as a covered land play. The Property is ripe for redevelopment or
    adaptive reuse, utilizing the unique space of the existing station.
    Potential uses may include multifamily, office, retail, hospitality, mixed
    use, or specialty uses. 

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/2121-Main-St-Houston-TX/27469813/

https://images1.loopnet.com/d2/MTylAm4BFq33zCLhuZa5sVqud1aPFWuwo_UmtQz18GQ/Marketing BrochureFlyer.pdf

QzkpXa0.jpg

WxcOky6.jpg

oYoy1px.jpg

kLDovzw.jpg

hLQNDwb.jpg

Houston Public Media reports on the Greyhound bus station property. The tract at 2121 Main St is for sale.

I'm still waiting for coverage from Houston Chronicle or the local news stations.

https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/articles/infrastructure/2023/01/25/442271/an-old-bus-station-for-sale-could-transform-the-area-between-houstons-midtown-and-downtown/ 

• Like 4

Houston Chronicle finally reports the listing of the Greyhound bus station site at 2121 Main St.

"Cushman didn’t disclose the list price of the property, but it has an appraised value of $7.7 million and includes a 33,000 square-foot Greyhound building, according to Harris County Central Appraisal District records."

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/greyhound-mcdonalds-midtown-houston-skypark-pierce-17742026.php

• Like 7

On 1/27/2023 at 10:15 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Houston Chronicle finally reports the listing of the Greyhound bus station site at 2121 Main St.

"Cushman didn’t disclose the list price of the property, but it has an appraised value of $7.7 million and includes a 33,000 square-foot Greyhound building, according to Harris County Central Appraisal District records."

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/greyhound-mcdonalds-midtown-houston-skypark-pierce-17742026.php

It is listed for $11 M. Greyhound has a lease that runs through Oct of 2024.

• Like 5

No other neighborhoods understandably want the hot potato that Greyhound represents. Where would it be relocated to? My money is on somewhere east of Downtown along the Green Line that could be developed similarly to what Austin has done with the new Mobility Hub that serves CapMetro, CARTS, and Greyhound. It's like METRO's old Intermodal station on a smaller scale. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2023 at 11:05 PM, JLWM8609 said:

No other neighborhoods understandably want the hot potato that Greyhound represents. Where would it be relocated to? My money is on somewhere east of Downtown along the Green Line that could be developed similarly to what Austin has done with the new Mobility Hub that serves CapMetro, CARTS, and Greyhound. It's like METRO's old Intermodal station on a smaller scale. 

Or the same place they were talking about putting the high-speed rail, Northwest Mall? That seems like a prime choice. It's not like the municipalities are particularly interested in interconnecting mass transit. The people who tend to use Greyhound aren't exactly a very politically influential demographic, either.

1 hour ago, samagon said:

it also works great for Vonlane.

I was in Corpus Christi this weekend and the old Greyhound bus station was turned into a bar called "BUS" pretty cool concept, but that bus station was a lot smaller than Houston's and I'm sure when they bought it, it was a lot cheaper.

Or The Grey in Savannah

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I'm not sure where this post should go, so I'll put it here. Admin, please feel free to move this as appropriate.

But, according to some people who seemed involved with the testing, the old Megabus site near the Metro Downtown Transit Center will become a layover area for Metro buses. I often see buses idling on Travis and Milam before the afternoon rush, so I am hoping that these are the buses that will use the new layover area.

The picture below was taken today (Aug 15, 2023) as they were testing turning radii and operation plans. I'm not sure when it'll go into full operation.

image.jpeg.b1d620ca8b33e873712f6c13f551f2d8.jpeg

• Like 7

• 3 months later...

Below is an update pertaining to bus services at Greyhound's hub in Midtown (2121 Main St). The bus stop will be relocated to 7000 Harrisburg Boulevard effective November 30.

@McD.land posted the update yesterday in the topic for Greyhound & Autobuses Americanos | 7000 Harrisburg Blvd.

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/50162-greyhound-autobuses-americanos-7000-harrisburg-blvd/?do=findComment&comment=692417

On 11/25/2023 at 2:50 PM, McD.land said:

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, McD.land said:

2121 Main st, currently the Greyhound Bus Station/Midtown, will be closing its doors later this week, services will move to their location on Harrisburg.

2121 Main is currently under contract. 

The owners are having a fence put up once they have vacated, and Midtown SEAL Security as well as HPD have been contacted and will be patrolling the block, and will be removing trespassers with the Owner's consent.  Midtown District has been extremely helpful and cooperative with the current Owners.  This should be very good for Midtown.

In addition, the Harrisburg location - Greyhound has renewed their lease for 10 years.  The property is under contract and should close by the end of the year to a reputable local Buyer.

Wait so someone has already put 2121 Main St location under contract? And I'm assuming such entity will be leasing at least part of the space out to Metro via @Brooklyn173's post? If so, Metro has their own police so that corner will be much different going forward, in addition to what @McD.land said. If not, still a huge deal that its already under contract, did not expect that. 

6 minutes ago, X.R. said:

Wait so someone has already put 2121 Main St location under contract? And I'm assuming such entity will be leasing at least part of the space out to Metro via @Brooklyn173's post? If so, Metro has their own police so that corner will be much different going forward, in addition to what @McD.land said. If not, still a huge deal that its already under contract, did not expect that. 

Greyhound is vacating the Main ST location later this week.  there is no connection to METRO on this site.  Metro has a facility nextdoor tot he Greyhound station on Harrisburg.  

• Like 2

On 11/27/2023 at 12:02 PM, McD.land said:

2121 Main st, currently the Greyhound Bus Station/Midtown, will be closing its doors later this week, services will move to their location on Harrisburg.

2121 Main is currently under contract. 

The owners are having a fence put up once they have vacated, and Midtown SEAL Security as well as HPD have been contacted and will be patrolling the block, and will be removing trespassers with the Owner's consent.  Midtown District has been extremely helpful and cooperative with the current Owners.  This should be very good for Midtown.

In addition, the Harrisburg location - Greyhound has renewed their lease for 10 years.  The property is under contract and should close by the end of the year to a reputable local Buyer.

Houston Chronicle published an article today about Greyhound closing its Midtown bus station at 2121 Main St:

Downtown Houston’s much-maligned Greyhound bus terminal will be empty Thursday, as the bus operator shifts service to an East End location.

Greyhound on Tuesday confirmed all buses will operate out of 7000 Harrisburg location, near 69th Street, effective Nov. 30. 

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/transportation/article/greyhound-leaving-downtown-houston-for-east-end-18520258.php

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

Houston Chronicle published an article today about Greyhound closing its Midtown bus station at 2121 Main St:

Downtown Houston’s much-maligned Greyhound bus terminal will be empty Thursday, as the bus operator shifts service to an East End location.

Greyhound on Tuesday confirmed all buses will operate out of 7000 Harrisburg location, near 69th Street, effective Nov. 30. 

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/transportation/article/greyhound-leaving-downtown-houston-for-east-end-18520258.php

Yup.

1 hour ago, sinister1 said:

Who remembers the location of the old Greyhound downtown pre-Trailways merger? I think it was on Fannin somewhere.

Houston Chronicle mentions.......

"The downtown location, 2121 Main St., has been the terminal of intercity bus transit for decades, at least since 1990 when service at another hub on Texas Avenue east of the central business district ceased."

2 hours ago, hindesky said:

Houston Chronicle mentions.......

"The downtown location, 2121 Main St., has been the terminal of intercity bus transit for decades, at least since 1990 when service at another hub on Texas Avenue east of the central business district ceased."

That's where it was at on Texas Avenue, thanks hindesky.

9 hours ago, wilcal said:

I'll be sure to give you a few honks when I drive by if it'll help in any way.

Much appreciated. We still have the Elevated for now.. still plenty of horns to be heard. But man, when people park to let folks out and a bus runs up on them, 12 noon or 4AM it doesn't matter, they just basically lean into the horn and don't stop until they move. 

They aren't messing around, its not even closed yet, they got paper on the windows... 

anyone have any clue who is already under contract for the place? I though greyhound had it till Oct 2024... nice surprise, but I guess they got let out early?

image.jpeg.7370d5053063568e02b7272855674afb.jpeg

• Like 1