Stewart Cadillac At 2520 Main St.

dbigtex56

And speaking of mental health, it's tempting to view the replies to my original remarks as a sort of HAIF Rorshach test.

One might make the case that some respondents have (unconsciously) revealed an attitude towards automobiles and real estate speculators which borders on the religious. How dare I question Our Speculator! He must be defended, lest He strike down upon us with great vengeance and furious anger. How dare I ridicule Cadillacs! I want. Pretty. Shiny.

No. This topic, as is the case of all topics in the "Crater Houston Alliance", is an exercise in wishful thinking. Patient attempts to educate me of the economics involved are irrelevent and redundant. Like world peace, one doesn't have to believe it's attainable to desire it.

I'm of the belief that there are myriad uses for that site which would be preferable to its current one. They would not include oilfield equipment sales and storage, nor animal rendering plants, nor farm machinery sales and service, all of which are good and necessary industries, but lack appeal to the pedestrian. At one time, the land in Midtown surely was used to graze cattle. Later, it was vacant lots and automobile dealerships. What's wrong with hoping to create a better present - and future?

Incidentally, I bear no ill will towards Stewart Cadillac, its owners or employees. I just think it's in the wrong place.

You are a master debater.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One might make the case that some respondents have (unconsciously) revealed an attitude towards automobiles...

The same can be said for the thread originator.

I'm of the belief that there are myriad uses for that site which would be preferable to its current one. They would not include oilfield equipment sales and storage, nor animal rendering plants, nor farm machinery sales and service, all of which are good and necessary industries, but lack appeal to the pedestrian. At one time, the land in Midtown surely was used to graze cattle. Later, it was vacant lots and automobile dealerships. What's wrong with hoping to create a better present - and future?

If this had been a Smart Car or scooter dealership instead on the same area of land, I doubt you'd be raising a stink even though from an Urban livability standpoint, it would be an equal waste of land.

Incidentally, I bear no ill will towards Stewart Cadillac, its owners or employees. I just think it's in the wrong place.

Well.. Thats alot more rational than villifying the landowner's choice of business and ranting that it should be torn down so Congrats on the personal growth.

This was not the original location of a Cadillac dealership in Midtown. Bland Cadillac was located up on West Gray and Bagby for the longest time. Stewart Cadillac is were a former Oldsmobile dealership was located.

Though Stewart (formerly known as Don Massey Cadillac at that location) filled the void left when Bland closed down in 97-98.

So an Olds dealer used to be there? Hmm, I never knew that. Though I do remember someone told me there used to be a Bentley or Rolls Royce dealer in that vicinity decades ago. Do you remember that? I wonder if that would be considered out of place if it were there today. :P

Though Stewart (formerly known as Don Massey Cadillac at that location) filled the void left when Bland closed down in 97-98.

So an Olds dealer used to be there? Hmm, I never knew that. Though I do remember someone told me there used to be a Bentley or Rolls Royce dealer in that vicinity decades ago. Do you remember that? I wonder if that would be considered out of place if it were there today. :P

I vaguely remember the Rolls Royce dealer in that area, but it wasn't there very long. I'm trying to remember the name of that Olds dealer, but like our moderator, I'm having mental health issues.

Before Don Massey then Stewart Cadillac occupied the site at Main and McGowan, Mossy Oldsmobile was there. There was an Oldmobile dealership under another name prior to that. It was one of those that moved out along the freeways in the late 60s and early 70s. I believe it was either Sam White or Sam Montgomery Oldsmobile.

Old photographs and city directories indicate that automobile dealerships moved south primarily along Main, Fannin, and San Jacinto as the city grew. Beginning in the 60s these dealerships began a migration to the "suburbs," i.e. along the freeways. Of course there were some earlier "outlying" dealers such as Knapp Chevrolet on the corner of Washington and Houston Avenues and Tommy Vaughn Ford at Shepherd and 11th. Who remembers Jimmy Green Chevorlet which was on the corner of Shepherd and Westheimer where the Randall's is today?

More to the topic of what would be an appropriate use for property in this location, when I first went to Berlin I noticed a Rolls-Royce/Bentley agency directly on Unter den Linden (the Champs-

The same can be said for the thread originator.

If this had been a Smart Car or scooter dealership instead on the same area of land, I doubt you'd be raising a stink even though from an Urban livability standpoint, it would be an equal waste of land.

Well.. Thats alot more rational than villifying the landowner's choice of business and ranting that it should be torn down so Congrats on the personal growth.

I shall reply by PM (personal message).

No reason these nice people have to see what I have to say.

Before Don Massey then Stewart Cadillac occupied the site at Main and McGowan, Mossy Oldsmobile was there. There was an Oldmobile dealership under another name prior to that. It was one of those that moved out along the freeways in the late 60s and early 70s. I believe it was either Sam White or Sam Montgomery Oldsmobile.

Old photographs and city directories indicate that automobile dealerships moved south primarily along Main, Fannin, and San Jacinto as the city grew. Beginning in the 60s these dealerships began a migration to the "suburbs," i.e. along the freeways. Of course there were some earlier "outlying" dealers such as Knapp Chevrolet on the corner of Washington and Houston Avenues and Tommy Vaughn Ford at Shepherd and 11th. Who remembers Jimmy Green Chevorlet which was on the corner of Shepherd and Westheimer where the Randall's is today?

More to the topic of what would be an appropriate use for property in this location, when I first went to Berlin I noticed a Rolls-Royce/Bentley agency directly on Unter den Linden (the Champs-

• 4 years later...

Long time reader here but I’ve never posted about anything. This is pure conjecture. Not a rumor or proposal.

With that said, wouldn’t it be cool if Sewell Cadillac built something like the Audi dealership at 59 and Greenbriar?  It seems like with the density building up it would make sense and look cool around all the soon to be mid rises around it.

I am just curious about other posters opinion on something like that.

I've always liked that old building.  Warehouses/industrial spaces just ain't made the way they used to be these days, and Sewell Cadillac has a pretty nice little building.  I do think that they will need to maximize their space like the Audi dealership at 59 at some point in the future.  Probably sooner than later?

I'd love to see that existing building re-puposed for something mixed-use.  If that park ever happens it would be really nice offices overlooking the northern edge (but I'm not clear if that park is a go - or if developers are going to build apartments atop that land?)?  Someone else can perhaps fill us in on that?

It used to house Sam White Oldsmobile - not sure when they moved in, but I clearly recall visiting the showroom with my parents when they bought a new car there in 1967. The dealership changed hands at some point in the 70s and became Mossy Oldsmobile, then Stewart Cadillac.

There's a 1954 photo of Sam White's showroom on this website:

http://www.texasescapes.com/KenRudine/Houston-the-2nd-Hundred-Years.htm

but I'm not sure that it's the same location as the building in question. Photos of Sam White's dealership are practically nonexistent on the web - I've been meaning to check HMRC to see if they have any in the photograph collection there. 

Bland Cadillac was in midtown for years. Their showroom was over near the Kirby mansion to the north of Spec's. You could see it from the Pierce Elevated.

Yep, I remember Bland Cadillac. They shut down in 97 or 98. I remember seeing facelifted 97 Sedan Devilles on the lot before they shut down.

I also remember before the dealer on Main became Stewart Cadillac, it was Don Massey Cadillac. There might have been another owner between Massey and Stewart, but I can't remember.

Yep, I remember Bland Cadillac. They shut down in 97 or 98. I remember seeing facelifted 97 Sedan Devilles on the lot before they shut down.

I also remember before the dealer on Main became Stewart Cadillac, it was Don Massey Cadillac. There might have been another owner between Massey and Stewart, but I can't remember.

JM, you are  right on all counts. The present Stewart Cadillac showroom was originally Sam Montgomery Oldsmobile, then Mossy Oldsmobile, then Massey Cadillac with maybe a few others interspersed. I'm not exactly sure.

Sam Montgomery was the Rolls-Royce dealer in Houston in the 1960's. When that dealership was moved to the North Freeway at Rankin Road in the 1970's Rolls-Royces were sold there as well. Montgomery later took on Volvo and that building on the east side of the freeway was demolished about the time DeMontrond got the Volvo and Oldsmobile franchises.

There was another Cadillac dealership near where the present Rolls-Royce Motorcars of Houston is today. That was Highams Cadillac at the corner of Post Oak Blvd. and Loop 610 where Uptown Park is today. I cannot recall if they were also a Rolls-Royce agency.

• Like 2

Do they own the entire block? Could fit another apartment or some retail there if they sold the undeveloped part. 

The undeveloped land was to be a Fire Museum, but it fell through.  An apt. development was announced for that land recently.

• 1 year later...

Not sure if this should be in the Midtown or Montrose section - Mr Stewart was murdered last night around 11:30 at his residence on W. Bell near Stanford....

Geez. Can't people just work for a living like the rest of us? And murdered for what? A car? A wallet? Seriously upsetting.