Another Bar On Washington Ave.

margokorin

From Ch 2.

HOUSTON, Texas -- Houston city council members will listen to homeowners, debate, discuss, and then vote on a proposed ordinance to improve parking in neighborhoods near the hot spots on Washington Avenue.

<LI>WATCH IT: video.gifOrdinance Would Affect Heights Parking

If passed, the ordinance would distribute resident-only parking permits for homeowners on the streets.

Also, no parking signs would go up, forcing bar customers to park in pre-paid lots or elsewhere.

"Homeowners say they are fed up with all the trouble bar customers cause in the middle of the night," said Lydie Tran. "They are shouting, they slam doors and sometimes very disrespectful."

"Your talking about five bars in a row in a two-block radius. There is no way our neighborhood can handle all that traffic," said Meg Poissant.

Bar owners say they are aware of the problem but their hands are tied.

"We don't own the property so we can't expand," said a bar manager. "Also crime comes along with the problem, because cars are being broken into."

A public hearing is scheduled to be announced soon.

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A new shuttle service along Washington Avenue may be the ticket to easing parking problems in neighborhoods surrounding the emerging entertainment corridor.

While homeowner groups organized as the Washington Avenue/Memorial Park Super Neighborhood Council await details of the city's proposals to manage parking in the vicinity, Lauren Barrash has unveiled the Washington Wave, a “jitney” service currently operating on Washington Avenue from the roundabout at Westcott to Parking Lot H on the southwest corner of Houston and Memorial.

Billed as Houston's first jitney service in 15 years, the Washington Wave operates from 6 p.m.-3 a.m. Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays.

Barrash is providing 450 free parking spaces in the lot for jitney riders, who pay $5 for a single ride or $8 to hop on and off for the whole night.

full article

A new shuttle service along Washington Avenue may be the ticket to easing parking problems in neighborhoods surrounding the emerging entertainment corridor.

While homeowner groups organized as the Washington Avenue/Memorial Park Super Neighborhood Council await details of the city's proposals to manage parking in the vicinity, Lauren Barrash has unveiled the Washington Wave, a “jitney” service currently operating on Washington Avenue from the roundabout at Westcott to Parking Lot H on the southwest corner of Houston and Memorial.

Billed as Houston's first jitney service in 15 years, the Washington Wave operates from 6 p.m.-3 a.m. Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays.

Barrash is providing 450 free parking spaces in the lot for jitney riders, who pay $5 for a single ride or $8 to hop on and off for the whole night.

full article

I can't imagine that would be successful. People going to these bars are dropping hundreds (or thousands in some cases) on bar tabs and bottle service. They aren't going to park n' ride to the bar.

Should be interesting to see how long this one shuttle can make the entire route and back.

From what I had read, they were hoping for two or three shuttles, I wonder if they plan on having more on the strip, or simply have routes that would overlap with one in midtown.

I can't imagine that would be successful. People going to these bars are dropping hundreds (or thousands in some cases) on bar tabs and bottle service. They aren't going to park n' ride to the bar.

Well then, somebody can bank a lot of money towing their cars out of the parking prohibited neighborhoods they keep parking in.

People going to these bars are dropping hundreds (or thousands in some cases) on bar tabs and bottle service. They aren't going to park n' ride to the bar.

the ones you reference are the ones valeting or coming in a limo. if service is frequent though, I could see people using the service.

full article

Perfect! Hopefully the city will put a cop outside that lot to grab folks for DUI/DWI. It'll be totally convenient, since the courthouse is only a few blocks away!

So Walter's was supposed to close in October and move to a new East End location. They're still open and there's shows supposedly booked for February. I heard through the grapevine that Woodrow's didn't want to pay enough to the landlord to take over the building.

• 5 weeks later...

Drove down Washington Ave. the other day, not really in the mode of getting somewhere, but more to just poke around.

So they are pretty much done with the big brick building with the parking lot in back (the one with "Washington Place" or whatever etched in a stone plaque in the very front). I think that building is hideous and I wish they had never built it.

I also drove past Roosevelt's...I have no idea what it looks like inside, but the outside is really really well-done. I was going to go on about how much I like it but I don't really have the right vocabulary to describe it. Suffice it to say that it really adds to the ambience and I hope this is the direction the corridor takes.

Drove down Washington Ave. the other day, not really in the mode of getting somewhere, but more to just poke around.

So they are pretty much done with the big brick building with the parking lot in back (the one with "Washington Place" or whatever etched in a stone plaque in the very front). I think that building is hideous and I wish they had never built it.

I also drove past Roosevelt's...I have no idea what it looks like inside, but the outside is really really well-done. I was going to go on about how much I like it but I don't really have the right vocabulary to describe it. Suffice it to say that it really adds to the ambience and I hope this is the direction the corridor takes.

You mean Washington Centre?

Yeah, it's large and extremely plain. I suppose it's better than what was there before (?), but it will still be huge and plain in 20 years. The rendering makes it look more like West Ave (not scale-wise, obviously) than it came out...perhaps it will improve as tenants eventually come in

I gotta say I have pretty much the opposite opinion on this one.

I like the Washington Centre building quite a bit but Roosevelt looks like crap to me. They didn't even finish fixing up one entire side of the thing so it looks like crap coming from the west. Couple that with the fact that they require coats to get in and think they're going to attract an "exclusive River Oaks crowd" and I don't think that place is long for this world.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, I finally got the opportunity to drive through the Washington Ave Douchebag District (WADD) tonight around 10:30-11pm. It was full of all sorts of characters and lots of women who were wearing a lot less than they should have been. People were parked all down both sides of the streets (including in the "No Parking Jitney Loading Zones"). Most of the cars that were moving were driving like idiots and trying to dodge the aforementioned douchebags that were walking down the middle of the street trying to get to their bars. And of course there were dozens of parking lot attendants standing in traffic trying to wave people into their lots. I was surprised how many of the parking lots boasted "Safe and Secure" parking -- they'll regret that promise as soon as someone gets jacked in their lot.

If you like this place, go ahead and flame me.

Well, I finally got the opportunity to drive through the Washington Ave Douchebag District (WADD) tonight around 10:30-11pm. It was full of all sorts of characters and lots of women who were wearing a lot less than they should have been. People were parked all down both sides of the streets (including in the "No Parking Jitney Loading Zones"). Most of the cars that were moving were driving like idiots and trying to dodge the aforementioned douchebags that were walking down the middle of the street trying to get to their bars. And of course there were dozens of parking lot attendants standing in traffic trying to wave people into their lots. I was surprised how many of the parking lots boasted "Safe and Secure" parking -- they'll regret that promise as soon as someone gets jacked in their lot.

If you like this place, go ahead and flame me.

It's not really my scene but I do think it's nice to have an area where people can walk from place to place and there is a concentration of nightlife. I kinda wish it was downtown instead of Washington though.

But I know the scene you're talking about. They really need some kind of traffic control down. It's dangerous, more so as the night wears on and the drunks leave the bars. This is why I think the jitney idea is awesome and think it's even more awesome that people can leave their cars over night in the wave parking lot rather than drive home wasted. I've never thought it made sense for bars to tow people if they leave their cars overnight? I think that can, in some situations, force someone to drive home who otherwise might just leave their car. Very smart of the jitney to realize that. Hopefully people take advantage of it.

• 2 months later...

Archived