Another Bar On Washington Ave.

margokorin

Work is beginning on 4414 Washington (between Thompson and Patterson on the north side of Wash Ave). It looks like a large space is being built out. The owner may own the land around the building in the back and westside. I say that because they're also clearing the adjoining land. Could be a patio for the back and maybe even some parking! :o

Of course, it may not be a bar. Maybe it's going to be a Hobby Lobby. :P

post-8559-12506406847665_thumb.jpg

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Work is beginning on 4414 Washington (between Thompson and Patterson on the north side of Wash Ave). It looks like a large space is being built out. The owner may own the land around the building in the back and westside. I say that because they're also clearing the adjoining land. Could be a patio for the back and maybe even some parking! :o

Of course, it may not be a bar. Maybe it's going to be a Hobby Lobby. :P

That's the location for Laurenzo's Sports Grill (same owners of El Tiempo). This was reported on Heights Blog last week:

http://heightsblog.wordpress.com/

http://www.laurenzosgrille.com/

Also, the space directly next to Pearl Bar is being fixed up into a restaurant: George's

That's the location for Laurenzo's Sports Grill (same owners of El Tiempo). This was reported on Heights Blog last week:

http://heightsblog.wordpress.com/

http://www.laurenzosgrille.com/

Also, the space directly next to Pearl Bar is being fixed up into a restaurant: George's

Now why would anyone follow the Heights Blog? Today's posting carries a note that a "bar [is] planned for former Daily Grind Building". Really? :rolleyes:

Anyone know where the parking for George's is going to be?

I posted a link to Laurenzo's new concept on another site and we got into a long discussion about how out of line some of the menu items seem to be.

One of the posters took it upon himself to leave some helpful feedback to the website. Lo and behold he got a quick response from one of the owners!

Pretty funny letter IMHO:

Dear Steven,

Thenew restaurant we are fortunate enough to be doing on Washington Avenuewill be a high quality Steak and Prime Rib Grille not a sports bar perse. Maybe it won’t work well, which will prove out your premise inreality.

We intend to display some high quality sports memorabiliafor sale for the periodic benefit of local charities if it works to doso. Just something fun and interesting. Maybe we will abandon that idea.

Ourgoal is for the place to be a place to get a great meal for hungrypeople who want excellent quality food. It is specifically what we liketo dabble in.

Once you see and taste the food and see the placefinished, we can debate if you are still concerned about the price tovalue relationship.

Till then we will think hard about the pricestructure so as to be sure the value is there when customer’s spendmoney. Since you seem to dislike El Tiempo’s approach as does theHouston Press,

Then perhaps you won’t like the Grille either.Wouldn’t it be funny if you ended up really liking it one day. And whatif the guy from Houston Press likes it too. Life can be funny likethat. Maybe not.

We believe El Tiempo is very busy with plenty ofcustomers due to the value that the customers perceive. Butpossibilities being what they are, perhaps and probably we are justlucky to have enough

people wandering thru to make it look busy ormaybe they come cause their friends are there. If that trend ends wewill be out of business some day shortly after they stop coming.

Lifeis not easy for me but I Just don’t know what else to do but keep ontrying. Nobody is paying my bills or my kid’s bills or bailing me outwhen I screw up.

Wish I were better at what I do. Just trying my butt off.

Listeningcarefully to your emphatic expression of your opinion might help me dothat, and for that I thank you. There is something quite good in therethat Ill use to better set my strategy.

Guess you just wanted to get my attention. You did. Thanks.

Respectfully,

Roland Laurenzo

I posted a link to Laurenzo's new concept on another site and we got into a long discussion about how out of line some of the menu items seem to be.

One of the posters took it upon himself to leave some helpful feedback to the website. Lo and behold he got a quick response from one of the owners!

Pretty funny letter IMHO:

LOL. Sounds like the owner really did read the guy's e-mail, but in a VERY polite and professional way said we really don't care what we do, people are going topay for the expensive food. Don't get fooled by the word 'sports.'

I saw on the Les Givrals website that construction should start on the Washington location (4601 Washington) this month.

Now why would anyone follow the Heights Blog? Today's posting carries a note that a "bar [is] planned for former Daily Grind Building". Really? :rolleyes:

Thanks for the note. I've updated the description. (It wasn't that day's post, though - that's not how the blog works.)

If the above bothers you, I 100% agree you should not "follow" Heights Blog. There is no chance I'll ever check every day, or even every week, to see if descriptions need updating. It's time-consuming enough trying to add links to new articles/blog posts (which is what bumps a post to the top). And, as some of y'all know, I've already got a job. Moreover, most of the time, if I happen to stumble upon information in the license reports I haven't see elsewhere - like about Laurenzo's or George's - I'll post it here, too. (Just didn't happen to do it that time.) There are indeed many far better sources than Heights Blog for the Washington Avenue lounge/restaurants scoop.

If anyone else has any Heights Blog feedback, there's an existing HAIF thread here. Appreciate the comments.

I saw on the Les Givrals website that construction should start on the Washington location (4601 Washington) this month.

Thanks for the note. I've updated the description. (It wasn't that day's post, though - that's not how the blog works.)

If the above bothers you, I 100% agree you should not "follow" Heights Blog. There is no chance I'll ever check every day, or even every week, to see if descriptions need updating. It's time-consuming enough trying to add links to new articles/blog posts (which is what bumps a post to the top). And, as some of y'all know, I've already got a job. Moreover, most of the time, if I happen to stumble upon information in the license reports I haven't see elsewhere - like about Laurenzo's or George's - I'll post it here, too. (Just didn't happen to do it that time.) There are indeed many far better sources than Heights Blog for the Washington Avenue lounge/restaurants scoop.

If anyone else has any Heights Blog feedback, there's an existing HAIF thread here. Appreciate the comments.

Don't take offense. I was just kidding. There are so many blogs and website about our fair city that's it's hard to keep up, you know? I had never heard of your blog before now (sorry) but have been following this thread. There had been no mention of the construction at 4414 Wash Ave, so I decided to post. Then someone comes back with "yeah, yeah it's already been covered on Heights Blog". I just thought it was funny that I could post a sarcastic come back regarding the Daily Grind.

And as far as I've seen this thread on HAIF is the best source for the Washington Avenue lounge/restaurant/douchebag rating scoop!

Don't take offense. I was just kidding. There are so many blogs and website about our fair city that's it's hard to keep up, you know? I had never heard of your blog before now (sorry) but have been following this thread. There had been no mention of the construction at 4414 Wash Ave, so I decided to post. Then someone comes back with "yeah, yeah it's already been covered on Heights Blog". I just thought it was funny that I could post a sarcastic come back regarding the Daily Grind.

And as far as I've seen this thread on HAIF is the best source for the Washington Avenue lounge/restaurant/douchebag rating scoop!

Sorry, didn't mean it to come out that way...I don't even check Heights Blog everyday, just happened to remember seeing the Laurenzo's post on Heights blog and wrote that posting to HAIF in a rush. Mainly to reference that a restaurant will hopefully be installed next to Pearl.

No offense taken. I was agreeing with you, at least wrt Washington Ave. It would be a full-time job even trying to keep up.

Completely separate topic I was going to post on earlier, along with the Les Givrals note: I prefer seeing businesses come in that are investing in their locations with a view to the long-term, and not to catching a trend and then selling. There are some long-term investors on Washington Ave. - I think some of the restaurants are definitely hoping to be there for the long-term - but clearly there are short-term investors, too. Granted, there are a few short-term businesses that have made respectful updates to historic buildings along the street, and so may yet leave Washington Avenue better than they found it - but that's not the majority. When it comes down to it, that's what bugs me about some of the new Washington Avenue places - they seem to specifically court a non-local crowd. The see/be seen crowd that will be gone when the newness wears off. As discussed above, that's not always the best kind of business to have in your neighborhood (if you're looking it as a neighborhood and not a stopping place in your 20's on the way to the suburbs).

Can't wait for the Les Givrals - hope it's a permanent addition. I'm less excited about Laurenzo's - doesn't really sound like my kind of place, though I thought the owner's email was sort of sweet. George's has me curious. That's a neat spot on the corner, there.

A couple of recent permits I saw, both for the 500 block of Shepherd, south of Washington. I know Cue & Cushion had already changed its operation a little, but when I went by there recently, it looked closed. I don't know if the permit for that address relates to the old changes, or if it was closed for more extensive remodeling.

510 Shepherd (Cue & Cushion) - CONVERT TO RESTAURANT/BAR 1-1-2-A2-B 2003 IBC 100% SPRK - Owner/Occupant: Cue Restaurant

519 Shepherd (at Blossom) - CNVRT STORAGE WHSE TO RESTAURANT 1-1-5-A2-B 2003 IBC - Owner/Occupant: B R C

The architects for George's may be STM & Associates - they're listed on the permit I saw. From their website, it doesn't look like they have much (any?) experience with historic properties.

510 Shepherd (Cue & Cushion) - CONVERT TO RESTAURANT/BAR 1-1-2-A2-B 2003 IBC 100% SPRK - Owner/Occupant: Cue Restaurant

519 Shepherd (at Blossom) - CNVRT STORAGE WHSE TO RESTAURANT 1-1-5-A2-B 2003 IBC - Owner/Occupant: B R C

Some additional info on these addresses.

Also, parking signs (for permit parking) are currently being installed in OSW residential area. Hopefully this will alleviate some of the **** residents there had been dealing with.

Hope so!

Oh, and I saw Walter's may be closing. Which I really don't like.

I heard a rumor that Little Woodrow's is looking to buy the place. Another rumor is BW3 will be opening a new place on Waugh and Washington. Not sure if there is any truth in that at all, but I will miss Walter's even though it's a sh!thole. I have seen a few gigs in there.

I heard a rumor that Little Woodrow's is looking to buy the place. Another rumor is BW3 will be opening a new place on Waugh and Washington.

That would be funny if it weren't so predictable. I hate to see Walter's go.

Seriously, Woodrow's and BW3? Not enough available strip center space for lease in Katy?

When bars like that move in, hipsters leave. It is the circle of life. Wow. If the rumors are true, the Wash Ave scene's descent from hipster to douchebag to suburban-anywhere will be the fastest I think I've ever seen in this town.

Though, I wouldn't mind an NTN bar close to the office......

I loved BDubs in college, but it just doesn't do much for me now unless I REALLY want wings. Maybe because it has a sports bar feel but chain restaraunt beer prices...?

I think they have different stores depending on location, or have a pretty loose franchise agreement. There was one in the Village I liked a lot to go play trivia. RedScare knows the one--it was a sports bar in it former life that became a BW3, but very different from the current locations I see popping up.

I really hope Walters does not close. That place is a dive but it has major cool-factor, and it's a fun place to catch live shows in a great location on Washington.

Please no Little Woodrow's; that place has the worst service, and there wouldn't be anything unique about it in this area.

BW3's would definitely take some of the hipness away from the avenue. I don't even know why these big chains even try to locate inside the loop. I guess there's a market somewhere. I am surprised at the success of the Chili's near Old Sixth Ward and the Applebees on 18th and 610 North.

I think they have different stores depending on location, or have a pretty loose franchise agreement. There was one in the Village I liked a lot to go play trivia. RedScare knows the one--it was a sports bar in it former life that became a BW3, but very different from the current locations I see popping up.

Steve owns most of the Houston BDub's - despite semming differences, same owner even. The franchise agreement is pretty tight, though places follow the rules differently. The original - in Columbus, is no more :(

The one on Rice near Kirby? I've only been there once since it became a BW3, but I used to hang out there a lot in its much earlier incarnation as Dolph's (and before that, Dan & Nick's Sportsmarket).

The one on Rice near Kirby? I've only been there once since it became a BW3, but I used to hang out there a lot in its much earlier incarnation as Dolph's (and before that, Dan & Nick's Sportsmarket).

Yep, that's the one. I don't remember Dolph's (maybe it came about after I left town in '95) but definitely remember Dan and Nick's.

To have Walter's move over near Diverse Works would be cool. It's definitely got a warehouse-y vibe, anyway. Makes me miss the Axiom!

walter's is closing after halloween and danzig is scheduled to play that night. the owner says they will reopen in a new location but has not stated where.

read a rumor that it will be in the same space as diverseworks.

Alright building sleuths, let's figure it out:

29-95: What else can you tell us about the new venue?

A: The new space hasn't been approved by the TABC yet, so I can'tsay where it is yet, but it's a 1928 building, a historic buildingdowntown. And there's plenty of parking if you can believe that. Andthere are no homes around it. It's always been a warehouse, so we havea lot of construction to do.

I can't think of any old warehouses downtown, unless its like that old building by Houston House Link

So maybe she's talking about East End warehouse district?

Alright building sleuths, let's figure it out:

I can't think of any old warehouses downtown, unless its like that old building by Houston House Link

So maybe she's talking about East End warehouse district?

I would agree with you that maybe is in East End or a warehouse around North Main. I am surprised that many developers have not jumped on the Northside of Downtown. There are many abandoned warehouses and empty space where nobody bothers you about parking.

But I do see a place like Walter's fitting better in the East End. You have a lot of art gallery's studios and live band venue Super Happy Funland over there on Polk.

We went to the Sawyer Sports bar Sunday. Cool lawyout. A few more TV's and the build is a pretty ideal sports bar. The food was actually reasonable and tasted good for a sports bar.

However, due to ownership and mgt., it was Sunday Funday. DJ music blaring, valet parking, everyone yelling over the music, and no NFL sound at all.

I REALLY hope this place burns out as a hot spot but survives by catering to the sports bar crowd.

Archived