Another Bar On Washington Ave.

margokorin

KTRK has a story about the traffic on Washington due to the bars:

http://abclocal.go.c...ocal&id=7661147

Saw that story as well, but I think that they should have foot and bike patrol in two of those major areas (By Pearl Bar and over by Rebel's) to control the traffic and crowds.

The additional lighting and crosswalks don't do much if people are too drunk to ignore them.

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saw that story as well, but I think that they should have foot and bike patrol in two of those major areas (By Pearl Bar and over by Rebel's) to control the traffic and crowds.

The additional lighting and crosswalks don't do much if people are too drunk to ignore them.

It seems that additional traffic lights would slow down traffic and reduce the risk to pedestrians and serious auto accidents. That said, one has to wonder about the value of spending on infrastructure improvements when it is a safe bet that 'the scene' will pick up and move to another part of town at some point.

It seems that additional traffic lights would slow down traffic and reduce the risk to pedestrians and serious auto accidents. That said, one has to wonder about the value of spending on infrastructure improvements when it is a safe bet that 'the scene' will pick up and move to another part of town at some point.

Lights and crosswalks seem like a pretty modest infrastructure investment, and the scene may not move for 5 years or more.

Add a few more bars and shut down the street from 9:00pm - 3:00am.

I checked out 360 Spot Lounge Sauturday. It's a pretty nice sports bar - kind of an upscale class Buffal Wild Wings. There are three huge projection TVs and smaller tvs all around. My only conmplaint is the high ceilings don't make for good accoustics, making the game difficult to hear.

Add a few more bars and shut down the street from 9:00pm - 3:00am.

I checked out 360 Spot Lounge Sauturday. It's a pretty nice sports bar - kind of an upscale class Buffal Wild Wings. There are three huge projection TVs and smaller tvs all around. My only conmplaint is the high ceilings don't make for good accoustics, making the game difficult to hear.

I agree, Shut down the valets and the streets altogether and just allow Pedicabs, taxis, and Jitney's go in.

Then you can have that nifty public urinal that pops up.

• 1 month later...

I decided to check out Phil's BBQ today (quite a bit of food for the money, I thought, and not bad -- especially the onion rings, which are battered like chicken fried steak). Anyway, while driving down Washington, I saw this unusual "pedal bar" parked in front of one of the restaurants. It was like a little Palapa Bar on wheels. There were bar stools around the outside and each bar stool had a set of bicycle-like pedals.

While we were eating at Phil's, the damn thing went riding by on Washington with the bar patrons pedaling on their bar stools and what appeared to be the bartender steering! Does anyone know what this vehicle is? Do they actually let you drink while you're helping your barmates propel you to the next bar? Is that legal?

(Note to douchebags: you might want to remember that it's difficult to pedal while wearing flip-flops, especially if you're drunk.)

I decided to check out Phil's BBQ today (quite a bit of food for the money, I thought, and not bad -- especially the onion rings, which are battered like chicken fried steak). Anyway, while driving down Washington, I saw this unusual "pedal bar" parked in front of one of the restaurants. It was like a little Palapa Bar on wheels. There were bar stools around the outside and each bar stool had a set of bicycle-like pedals.

While we were eating at Phil's, the damn thing went riding by on Washington with the bar patrons pedaling on their bar stools and what appeared to be the bartender steering! Does anyone know what this vehicle is? Do they actually let you drink while you're helping your barmates propel you to the next bar? Is that legal?

(Note to douchebags: you might want to remember that it's difficult to pedal while wearing flip-flops, especially if you're drunk.)

This I would REALLY like to see...unfortunately I fall asleep way too early to get out on Washington at night.

The last time I drove through the Washington corridor was May 30 at 1:40 am after my wife went into labor....It was crazy that night (holiday weekend) and I regretted my choice of route until I cleared the area without getting plowed by a drunk.

I have seen one of these going around Midtown also....

I've done the pedal party many times. Yes its legal. There isn't any type of motor on the device and the driver of course simply steers. There is room for a keg on board, but the driver does not serve the beer. Its fun, but you really do burn calories going from one bar to the other.

• 4 months later...

I've live in Houston for 30 years, and there's a dreadful sameness about 'party' neighborhoods.They change, on a predictable basis.

In the early 80's Lower Westheimer was a fun place to party. Exuberant and chaotic. Eventually the neighbors complained and a police presence shut it down.

Soon after, it was the Richmond Strip. Ditto.

Shepherd Square? Same curve. Started fun, became popular, then obnoxious patrons overstayed their welcome.

For a while River Oaks Plaza was the 'in' place to party. Noise complaints and towed cars put an end to that.

Downtown? Ten years ago, there were some very cool bars; Saturday nights the streets were crowded. Violence broke out, and it became edgy - and not in a good way.

There seems to be a pattern.

Washington Avenue is vital nightclub scene, at the moment. Eventually, the people who live nearby will say "No, wait just a minute...", and may become less tolerant for overfunded young douchebags to vomit and urinate in people's yards.

Our lack of zoning is a mixed blessing. Is there an ideal place where young douchebags with excessive allowances can congregate, yell idiotically in the early morning and not irritate nearby residents?

Our lack of zoning is a mixed blessing. Is there an ideal place where young douchebags with excessive allowances can congregate, yell idiotically in the early morning and not irritate nearby residents?

Yes. Numerous places designed specifically for this have been around for years. They're called High Schools. But Middle Schools are stealing more and more of the market share from the High Schools.

I've live in Houston for 30 years, and there's a dreadful sameness about 'party' neighborhoods.They change, on a predictable basis.

In the early 80's Lower Westheimer was a fun place to party. Exuberant and chaotic. Eventually the neighbors complained and a police presence shut it down.

Soon after, it was the Richmond Strip. Ditto.

Shepherd Square? Same curve. Started fun, became popular, then obnoxious patrons overstayed their welcome.

For a while River Oaks Plaza was the 'in' place to party. Noise complaints and towed cars put an end to that.

Downtown? Ten years ago, there were some very cool bars; Saturday nights the streets were crowded. Violence broke out, and it became edgy - and not in a good way.

There seems to be a pattern.

Washington Avenue is vital nightclub scene, at the moment. Eventually, the people who live nearby will say "No, wait just a minute...", and may become less tolerant for overfunded young douchebags to vomit and urinate in people's yards.

Well said. Next up, Eado?

Nononono! No E-word! egads. last thing that's needed is a bunch of D-bags cruising through the east side.

From my understanding, Almeda is trying to get started as a hot spot.

Most of the locations that were mentioned are still happening places, but they're just not "HOT" but rather nice and steady establishments that will serve the local (regional?) population quite nicely.

Midtown has a local population that will maintain it. Richmond still has a few places that are popular and do quite well. Lower Westhiemer is still buzzing, but has a bit of a different vibe for better or worse.

Washington will fade, but the bars with more substance will survive to make money for years.

I'm with Ricco.

East DT is already anchored by Luckys, which is an everyman bar. So is Woodrows. I hope the new stadium and fans will allow the neighborhood to maintain a democratic nightlife scene, rather than the fauxsclusivity of the clubs on Washington.

If Washington Ave is for (I'm intentionally stereotyping here) douches and goldiggers, and Montrose if for freaks, hipsters and people who want super-trendy drinking and eating, then let the east end be itself. Unpretentious, low to moderately priced and taking all comers. And especially catering to sports fans due to proximity of the stadiums.

Washington will fade, but the bars with more substance will survive to make money for years.

Just drove down Washington -- one of the bar's signs (dont remember which one) says "Beer and Boobs" !!!! I almost crashed !!

This must be one of the bars with substance laugh.gif

[quotye name=u080570' timestamp='1299789679' post='381756]

Just drove down Washington -- one of the bar's signs (dont remember which one) says "Beer and Boobs" !!!! I almost crashed !!

This must be one of the bars with substance laugh.gif

Yeah, just noticed that about ten minutes ago. I was annoyed by the road work, but the sign in question belongs to "the lot".nit entirety sure if that bar its the type I'm talking about, but its fairly low key. At least as low key as you can get on that strip.

I'm with Ricco.

East DT is already anchored by Luckys, which is an everyman bar. So is Woodrows. I hope the new stadium and fans will allow the neighborhood to maintain a democratic nightlife scene, rather than the fauxsclusivity of the clubs on Washington.

If Washington Ave is for (I'm intentionally stereotyping here) douches and goldiggers, and Montrose if for freaks, hipsters and people who want super-trendy drinking and eating, then let the east end be itself. Unpretentious, low to moderately priced and taking all comers. And especially catering to sports fans due to proximity of the stadiums.

I'm kind of OK with the warehouse district being overcome with the douchebagery, if it has to happen somewhere on the east, the name they chose for it is already the douchebag anyway, we may as well just write the whole area off ;-)

I'm with Ricco.

I like the sound of that.

It is a question of critical mass. There is a certain point where the number of club patrons (aka douchebags) becomes too large. There is a sense that you can get away with anything because there are so many people out partying that you won't get caught. Things always go downhill once you have a bunch of bars together on a strip. People bar hop like in college and cruise up and down the strip. Once you have that, it is just a matter of time before people in the area get the police to crack down and the club patrons go elsewhere. And the clubs themselves eventually jump the shark with people as the area gets a reputation for being too crazy.

Washington is pretty bad, but not at critical mass. Washington does have good non-dbag restaurants (Catalan, Broken Spoke, Candalari's, Cova, Les Givrales, Branch Water etc.) that help break things up and some very non-dbag businesses like Wabash, Catalina Coffee and a few furniture stores (Amish to mid-century to designer). Hopefully, once the dbag clubs burn out, there will be plenty of good businesses left behind to keep Washington Ave from turning into Richmond Ave or Main St.

It is a question of critical mass. There is a certain point where the number of club patrons (aka douchebags) becomes too large. There is a sense that you can get away with anything because there are so many people out partying that you won't get caught. Things always go downhill once you have a bunch of bars together on a strip. People bar hop like in college and cruise up and down the strip. Once you have that, it is just a matter of time before people in the area get the police to crack down and the club patrons go elsewhere. And the clubs themselves eventually jump the shark with people as the area gets a reputation for being too crazy.

Washington is pretty bad, but not at critical mass. Washington does have good non-dbag restaurants (Catalan, Broken Spoke, Candalari's, Cova, Les Givrales, Branch Water etc.) that help break things up and some very non-dbag businesses like Wabash, Catalina Coffee and a few furniture stores (Amish to mid-century to designer). Hopefully, once the dbag clubs burn out, there will be plenty of good businesses left behind to keep Washington Ave from turning into Richmond Ave or Main St.

Geez dude, you really are creepy! Seriously, kids going to clubs are douchebags? And the business on Washington are either douchebag clubs or non-douchebag restaurant and retail establishments? LOL, and the douchebag clubs are going to jump the shark one day because they are too crazy or will burn out? Have you ever been to the French Quarter on Bourbon Street in New Orleans or Rush Street in Chicago? Phuleeeease! If you don't like the clubs on Washington, stay home in your historic bungalow, order a pizza from a non-douchebag pizza parlor and leave the kids alone to do what kids do. And be sure to get to bed early so you can watch the sunrise before it is obstructed by a McVictorian or an Ashby Tower of Terror!

Critical Mass is why people go to popular areas. They want to be seen in the scene (with their scene hair) driving their rented Ferrari to the valet of the hip sports bar that doesn't sell hot-wings, or actually show any sports on the TVs. If they didn't want to be a part of that, they'd just walk around the block from their house and go to the local bar, or drink at home.

People aren't going to stop partying in the area until the cops make it a place they don't want to go.

The cops won't make it a place people don't want to go until nearby residents complain, or people start getting hurt (more than usual).

As far as places that are worth going, you forgot to include the comic book store, inside it feels like an overpriced handbag store, which is not the way a comicbook store should feel, but in a pinch, it does the job.

Geez dude, you really are creepy! Seriously, kids going to clubs are douchebags? And the business on Washington are either douchebag clubs or non-douchebag restaurant and retail establishments? LOL, and the douchebag clubs are going to jump the shark one day because they are too crazy or will burn out? Have you ever been to the French Quarter on Bourbon Street in New Orleans or Rush Street in Chicago? Phuleeeease! If you don't like the clubs on Washington, stay home in your historic bungalow, order a pizza from a non-douchebag pizza parlor and leave the kids alone to do what kids do. And be sure to get to bed early so you can watch the sunrise before it is obstructed by a McVictorian or an Ashby Tower of Terror!

What is really creepy is the fact that you are so obsessed with losing the repeal of the historic district that you are going to follow me into other threads because I spoke out in support of the ordiance.

People have been calling the worst of the club patrons d-bags all over this thread. I have been to a number of bars along Washington. Douchebag is actually a bit too kind for what is going on at some clubs.

Bourbon street is a tourist destination. A better comparison would be the Flats in Cleveland Ohio. In the 1990s, it got built up as a major club scene in Cleveland. By 2000, it was so out of control that there were three drowning deaths in one month. The city cracked down and the entire east bank of the flats was pretty much deserted by 2005. This is what I called "critical mass" above--a certain point where a lawlessness takes over and the subsequent crackdown kills off the party scene. I think Washingotn Ave could avoid this because there is a good diversity of businesses. You can actually thank Bobby Orr (yes, I am praising a developer, get the polaroid out) for this. He saw that there were too many bars and opted for mixed use developments that also had retail and office. Others are more short sighted and are just grabbing up land and putting in the next d-bag destination (oh no, there I go again) to make a quick buck. Hopefully, those with a longterm vision of the neighborhood will win out.

I don't think washington is going anywhere anytime soon.

I find it amusing when someone refers to all the bars as d-bag bars then shortly after mentions they have been to a number of the bars. Doesn't that make you a d-bag?

I go out to the bars on Washington pretty frequently with my friends. I wouldn't classify myself as a d-bag, and I doubt many people would lump my friends and I into that group. I normally go to the more relaxed places (Liberty Station, Taps, Pearl, etc.) but I like the variety of bars and styles on washington. The neighborhood can complain all they want, and illegal activity should definitely be cracked down on, but with the WAVE and other transportation methods popping up, I see that Washington really has a chance to become a entertainment district / tourist destination. Hopefully one day it will reach a density where they actually close down part of it at night to allow only foot/bike/ripshaw traffic.

I don't think washington is going anywhere anytime soon.

I find it amusing when someone refers to all the bars as d-bag bars then shortly after mentions they have been to a number of the bars. Doesn't that make you a d-bag?

I go out to the bars on Washington pretty frequently with my friends. I wouldn't classify myself as a d-bag, and I doubt many people would lump my friends and I into that group. I normally go to the more relaxed places (Liberty Station, Taps, Pearl, etc.) but I like the variety of bars and styles on washington. The neighborhood can complain all they want, and illegal activity should definitely be cracked down on, but with the WAVE and other transportation methods popping up, I see that Washington really has a chance to become a entertainment district / tourist destination. Hopefully one day it will reach a density where they actually close down part of it at night to allow only foot/bike/ripshaw traffic.

the concentration of dbags in the bars on washington is higher than in most other places, this is like the problem s3mh has with anti-ordinance people not necessarily being anti-preservation.

a) dbags go to bars on washington with higher frequency than they go to other bars.

next) not all people that go to bars on washington are dbags.

unless you have a fake tan, wear a lot of ed hardy shirts with sparkly dragons on them, and have spiky hair, you probably aren't a dbag.

Archived