Another Bar On Washington Ave.

margokorin

Here's the scoop on a few new bars opening around Washington, some I never even knew were on the map:

http://fredeatshouston.typepad.com/wwwfredeatshoustoncom/

Brixx - Changed name from Busty Larue's

Shotzky - Country Shot Bar Concept

:lol: Even douches know better than to go to bars with names this bad. I'm having a flashback involving dollar kamikazes and guys wearing Corona U tank tops.

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

laugh.gif Even douches know better than to go to bars with names this bad. I'm having a flashback involving dollar kamikazes and guys wearing Corona U tank tops.

No kidding. Those bars sound as if they belong on Sixth Street in Austin, but I suppose that's what they're going for on Washington. "Hey, Austin! Look at us, we've got a concentrated bar scene too! Our city's douchebags can walk from bar to bar for hours paying over $100 in cover charges per night just like your city's douchebags can!"

I can't wait until they put a Library and a Coyote Ugly on Washington! That'll be boss!

Well you are in Houston, and there is no need to watch the Astros game.

Oh, I am well-aware of local sports bar etiquette :P . In this particular case, there were only about 7 patrons at the rooftop bar (it had just stopped raining), the three of us were the only ones watching one TV, and the Texans game was a blowout. My friend from Minnesota was frantic to see the Twins game, since they are locked in a battle for the last playoff spot with Detroit, so we figured it was worth it to ask to change the channel on just that one set.

Too much trouble, apparently, though they promised us beer comps instead. Which never materialized, and one of the bartenders laughed in my face when I mentioned that detail to him. So we weren't too impressed.

Here's the scoop on a few new bars opening around Washington, some I never even knew were on the map:

http://fredeatshoust...eatshoustoncom/

Roosevelts - Across from Taps (Old Purple Building)

Phil's Texas BBQ - Corner of Washington and Heights (7,000 Sq FT!!!!)

I wonder when we're going to get the first wave of bar closings? These guys seem late to the game

I went to Sawyer Park last Sunday and noted that many of the bars, etc., on Washington seemed to be doing pretty good business, though. As for the crowd - unlike the previous poster, I didn't see any pretty people...but definitely a lot of obnoxious drunks that should have left when the game was over hours earlier. Staff was pretty good, though. It makes for a decent happy hour place but you're basically forced to valet

I don't get this "Roosevelts" place. If you're caterings towards the "River Oaks crowd," why not put it closer to River Oaks? On that note I went to a soft opening of the Red Room (above what was The Brownstone) a couple of weeks ago and was pretty impressed. Perhaps this is all just a sign that I'm getting older, as I would have loved the Washington Ave scene back when I was 23 and single

Tried Sawyer Park today. Nice view from the upstairs deck. Everything else? Two thumbs down.

Don't bother unless you're a 20-something pretty boy who likes to chat up high maintenance ladies. And don't even bother asking them to change one of their TV's from the Texans game to baseball. They'll scoff.

Yeah, it doesn't seem like our scene at all so we just like driving by to watch the drunken youngins try to maneuver around the tiny parking lot only to hit another patron at Center St. and Sawyer.

The boyfriend and I walked to Beaver's Saturday night and witnessed yet another accident at that intersection. Sadly, Beaver's was dead and this was around 9pm. It could have been the rain, although Sawyer Park was packed like sardines as usual.

Is Phil's going to be a legit BBQ place?

Brixx. Eh. Lousy name, what gets me is "SHOTZKY" sounds like it should be more for wanna be russian Guido's than a country bar!

Oh, I am well-aware of local sports bar etiquette :P . In this particular case, there were only about 7 patrons at the rooftop bar (it had just stopped raining), the three of us were the only ones watching one TV, and the Texans game was a blowout. My friend from Minnesota was frantic to see the Twins game, since they are locked in a battle for the last playoff spot with Detroit, so we figured it was worth it to ask to change the channel on just that one set.

Too much trouble, apparently, though they promised us beer comps instead. Which never materialized, and one of the bartenders laughed in my face when I mentioned that detail to him. So we weren't too impressed.

Texans over Twins on Wash Ave.? I would've broken the windows out of that bartender's car, if not the bar itself. Sawyer Park sucks.

Roosevelts

Located at 5219 Washington(originally reported as "Blue Book"),Roosevelt is an ultra-upscale concept by Saleem Hernandez, owner of Pandora. This "25 and up" uber-posh lounge will cater to a "Fortune 500, RiverOaks-type" clientele, according to Hernandez. A "suit-and-tie" dresscode and "exclusive pricing" will set the tone. "This is not a club,"says Hernandez. "It's the next step.

"

:rolleyes:

^What a joke!

And I hope he pulls something better than the Pandora web site out of his *ss for Roosevelt's!

If this was 1980s downtown Manhattan and not 2009 Washington Heights Houston, this kind of bar would be a great idea. It might even work if it was close to one of the business districts, but I predict this place will either be a total failure, or it'll alter its lofty ambitions pretty quickly.

Didn't even know there WAS a sushi joint on Washington!

Anyone wants to start a pool on which bars will fail first or how long they will last?

I predict Drake will the first to crash and burn, followed by "Reign."

Edit: Spelling

Anyone else notice that the sushi restaurant on Durham has already shut its doors? That place couldn't have been open for more than 6 months.

That shopping center leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to visibility.

I think you are referring to 'Rare Bar and Restaurant' across the way from Kicks. I never went there, but I don't think they were serving sushi, more like up-scale hamburgers.

Such a shame for someone to dump all that cash and only be open for six months.

Didn't even know there WAS a sushi joint on Washington!

Anyone wants to start a pool on which bars will fail first or how long they will last?

I predict Drake will the first to crash and burn, followed by "Reign."

Edit: Spelling

Hmmm...I'd need to do some field work first, lol

Are Citizen and Blue Label Lounge still around? I never had any desire to go to Citizen, and wasn't all that impressed with Blue Label the two times I've been. Actually, it's been a few months since I've been out to any of clubs on Washington, so surely the trendiness of many places has worn off by now? Some might still be pulling in crowds, but I'm sure the crowd has changed...guess that's not necessarily a bad thing. Are any of the clubs 18 and up yet? lol

I wonder if we will really see a new hot area any time soon (and where) or whether we will just see a changing list of bars and clubs along Washington

Are Citizen and Blue Label Lounge still around? I never had any desire to go to Citizen, and wasn't all that impressed with Blue Label the two times I've been. Actually, it's been a few months since I've been out to any of clubs on Washington, so surely the trendiness of many places has worn off by now? Some might still be pulling in crowds, but I'm sure the crowd has changed...guess that's not necessarily a bad thing. Are any of the clubs 18 and up yet? lol

I wonder if we will really see a new hot area any time soon (and where) or whether we will just see a changing list of bars and clubs along Washington

Citizen I THINK is still operating, and if it is, it's getting good overflow from Blue Label and Bronx bar.

The biggest thing is the "aging" of the club go-ers. I imagine a place would still be "hot" but as they age, they probably wanna go to a more "Mature" place or stop going altogether.

I was the same way when I was younger, I stopped going at about 25 when I was starting to feel like a pedophile when some of the "new" blood walked in.

Washington has at least 2 years before we see signs of crashing. In the mean time, we'll see a lot of name changes :)

Yep, both are still open.

think you are referring to 'Rare Bar and Restaurant' across the wayfrom Kicks. I never went there, but I don't think they were servingsushi, more like up-scale hamburgers.

Such a shame for someone to dump all that cash and only be open for six months.

You are correct, I assumed it was sushi for some reason.

Looking at the menu, along with location I can't say I'm too shocked.

Something tells me people weren't too excited about $250 bottles of Johnny Walker Black with their sliders.

Rare Bar Menu

• 2 weeks later...

Was reading through this thread and came across a small bit of misconception about us (Mezzanine Lounge). We don't turn into a nightclub with loud thumping music at night. We are pure sports/neighborhood bar all of the time. On different nights we have pool, darts, trivia, karaoke, poker, a "DJ" who plays from a diverse list of the last 30 years of music on Fridays, a couple of jukeboxes, etc. We have four different areas, so (for example) if you don't want to deal with karaoke- you don't have to. Don't want to watch people play poker downstairs? There's always the upstairs or patio, and so on.

We're also pretty casual with dress code, main request is no wife beaters. We have a good industry crowd, so there's always people coming in after work in server/bartender uniform. I like our crowd a lot, it's diverse and comfortable. I recently did see a girl come in who was clearly uncomfortable with the casual dress code, but she was dressed in a Paris Hilton style dress and it was on a Sunday afternoon during football (!).

The best feature that I feel we offer is that we are always willing to accommodate whatever game a customer wants to see. If Direct Tv offers it, we'll get it on a screen for you. We order all of the sports packages. It makes me laugh (and cringe!) to read that someone at another bar stated they had changed the channels too much that day already, so couldn't show a live Astros game. One of our main focuses that we drill into all of our staff members is to keep up with that night's important games and accommodate any special request. We take the time to write out a daily list for all of them to have on hand and if you called up there right now, the person answering the phone would be able to tell you exactly what college football games we are able to show tomorrow.

I really don't get people that call themselves sports bars, but you walk in and even the local teams aren't showing on any screen.. Law & Order will be on or something. Or even worse, the tv's are off. Then again, we named ourself a "lounge" and we've gradually over the past five years found that "sports bar & grill" suits us better. It's what our customers like us best as.

Anyhow, thanks for reading. I know there's always room for improvement, so I really enjoy reading everyone's comments about other places' mistakes & good points and learn from them.

Tonya

(not sure if I set up a signature years ago, so sorry if 2 show up)

Tonya,

If it makes you feel any better, I visited Mezzanine a few weeks ago and found it to be very cool, indeed. Great staff, friendly patrons, good drink pricing. Unfortunately for me, it's a bit too far from the Heights to be included into my neighborhood establishment rotation.

So if anyone wants to get away from the Washington scene, that's definitely a good choice!

Tonya - used to go to Mezzanine to play poker, but since moving to the Heights, it's just a wee bit out of casual pop in range. You say you do all the sports that Direct TV has - does that include rugby (eg UK 6 Nations)? That would be a draw for me. :)

Tonya - used to go to Mezzanine to play poker, but since moving to the Heights, it's just a wee bit out of casual pop in range. You say you do all the sports that Direct TV has - does that include rugby (eg UK 6 Nations)? That would be a draw for me. :)

I'm not sure about Rugby. We had Setanta Sports, but because the live games were all morning games we were never open enough to justify the $100 a month cost.

Archived