Another Bar On Washington Ave.

margokorin

I've read it somewhere on this forum, but I will agree that maybe Shepherd from 11th on to 610N can also be a good option for the next avenue of trendy lounges bars like on Washington? As of now, there are used car sales lots like there were in Washington. You have three neighborhoods surrounding this area...Timbergrove, Shady Acres and Heights.

I believe that, from 16th to 26th streets, Shepherd is dry.

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've read it somewhere on this forum, but I will agree that maybe Shepherd from 11th on to 610N can also be a good option for the next avenue of trendy lounges bars like on Washington? As of now, there are used car sales lots like there were in Washington. You have three neighborhoods surrounding this area...Timbergrove, Shady Acres and Heights.

My second but long shot option as the next "it" place is on the northside Main from UH Downtown all the way to I -45. You have some new development creeping through this area at a very slowly pace since early 2000

Shepherd already has some stuff going on, but it's just lumped into that whole Heights/Washington area. Northside Main to I-45 could definitely looks like it could have the potential to become a hot spot, but the problem is, it's already too close to downtown Main St., which would just make it an extension of that if it ever got hot.

Looks like "Canvas" at 5002 Washington is actually going to be "Rebel's Honky Tonk." They have a sign out front that says so, and I also found this. It's apparently from the same people as Saint Dane's in Midtown.

We peeked inside last night... there is a GIANT mural of a bunch of country people on the wall. It looks like they still have some work to do, but it'll probably be open in a month-ish.

Rebels Honky Tonk is having their "soft opening" tonight - August 13.

I'm not a big fan of the country/laid back bars like whatever this Rebels place sounds like, but I'm glad Washington is getting some variety. It should help the overall lifespan of the area.

I'm really curious now about Rebel's. Is it going to be skanky girls in glittter tank tops that say 'save a horse, ride a cowboy' or is it the hip/retro Johnny Cash at Folsom thing. If would be awesome if it were a honky tonk gay bar! That would lively up Washingotn Ave pretty quick.

I just wonder whether they'll be able to get customers. People who would go to a place like Rebel's probably don't hang out inside the loop.

I think what we need is a bar that has live polka bands at night. As someone with Czech heritage, that would be a lot more fun than another cowboy themed bar.

People who would go to a place like Rebel's probably don't hang out inside the loop.

Are you new to Houston? They most certainly do. They wear the regular, untucked dress shirt uniform. You just don't realize how cracker they are until you either arrest them, fight them, or take their girls and mock their rides.

What about any nightlife on Elysian or Hardy from downtown to 610?

What about any nightlife on Elysian or Hardy from downtown to 610?

I don't think there's anything along that route. It's pretty grim there at night, not exactly where I want to be. We get up that way occasionally, as my wife has family in that part of town.

sorry if this has been discussed but what happened to reign lounge? I noticed their sign is gone and there is another small sign announcing something new coming - couldn't read it while driving.

when we were at the drinkery on friday, i noticed some people removing unbrellas and other items from inside and loading up a vehicle

Are you new to Houston? They most certainly do. They wear the regular, untucked dress shirt uniform. You just don't realize how cracker they are until you either arrest them, fight them, or take their girls and mock their rides.

That post needs to be removed. I was thinking of something totally different with the name Rebel's Honky Tonk, like some back woods kind of place. If this is just a country-western bar, then I'm all for it. Those places always have attractive women (and some fat ones too!) But we still need a bar on Washington with polka band at least one night a week. That would be fun.

Don't you have to be a member to go there though? I was thinking they should have that same kind of dancing at regular bars!

not that i know of cause i've been there for events. check out mark halata's website when you get a chance. he plays all over tx and i know he plays there and other local places occasionally. he's gone relatively big time from when I used to check out his performances yrs ago.

sorry if this has been discussed but what happened to reign lounge? I noticed their sign is gone and there is another small sign announcing something new coming - couldn't read it while driving.

Seems like the owner sold the place. I wonder why the original developers of Reign just abandoned this project.

It was only a matter of time. The place wasn't being run in a way that would sustain it for the long term. I wonder if the residents who live behind it had anything to do with it? Nothing wrong with the structure, they just need to make the place fun and without the pretense of being some kind of exclusive, fancy, club like you'd find in Miami or Las Vegas.

So did the place close, or is it just staying open while transitioning into different management?

Considering that you do not know WHY, or even IF the club has closed, I find your statements explaining why it closed to be a bit unbelievable. I might also point out that, having never owned or run a club of this type...or probably any bar at all...you are most clearly guessing at what is required to run a club profitably. You should probably just stick to drinking in them and ogling the chicks.

Considering that you do not know WHY, or even IF the club has closed, I find your statements explaining why it closed to be a bit unbelievable. I might also point out that, having never owned or run a club of this type...or probably any bar at all...you are most clearly guessing at what is required to run a club profitably. You should probably just stick to drinking in them and ogling the chicks.

You're right, what I said didn't make any sense. I was just really tired when I typed it, but I have since edited it. I was trying to give reason as to why it failed without even knowing what was going on. I just think the place takes itself way to seriously, and it doesn't seem to fit in on Washington Ave. Maybe they'll actually make the place cool, because the building looks really great.

You're right, what I said didn't make any sense. I was just really tired when I typed it, but I have since edited it. I was trying to give reason as to why it failed without even knowing what was going on. I just think the place takes itself way to seriously, and it doesn't seem to fit in on Washington Ave. Maybe they'll actually make the place cool, because the building looks really great.

Huh? Eight? Nox? Countless other places I have never been to and places I have been to but have no clue what the name is/was? There are plenty of clubs/lounges/whatever they're called now on Washington, IMHO.

What's so exclusive about it? They let you reserve a room on the website. Were you the one who was complaining about the velvet rope and the door guy? As I said, that's because of fire code. You cannot exceed the number of people that the fire marshall has declared safe for your building, so you have to control the door flow.

What's so exclusive about it? They let you reserve a room on the website. Were you the one who was complaining about the velvet rope and the door guy? As I said, that's because of fire code. You cannot exceed the number of people that the fire marshall has declared safe for your building, so you have to control the door flow.

Errrmmm, and to keep out people who the bouncers feel will detract from the desireability of the club if let inside.....

The old 'one in one out' rule, yet 45 people walk by you and get let in in 5 minutes and no one came out, lol.

Boy I don't miss that age at all :)

I just wonder whether they'll be able to get customers. People who would go to a place like Rebel's probably don't hang out inside the loop.

Blanco's, Leon's Lounge on certain nights, there are a couple others but they all seem to fit the description and are inside the loop. I live in the heart of the Heights and know of a ton of other people that love to go to these places. Just because we're young doesn't mean we like hip hop joints... We are in texas after all and only because we live IN Houston now doesn't me we weren't raised country.

D

Blanco's, Leon's Lounge on certain nights, there are a couple others but they all seem to fit the description and are inside the loop. I live in the heart of the Heights and know of a ton of other people that love to go to these places. Just because we're young doesn't mean we like hip hop joints... We are in texas after all and only because we live IN Houston now doesn't me we weren't raised country.

D

Yeah, I was thinking of something different when I said that. I'm thinking now that I will really like this place. Anyone know if it's going to be live music or dancing, or just a bar to drink at?

Wow, this place looks great! They did such a nice job with the exterior and interior. Good parking will help the area, but it will be valet, so you still have to find a spot somewhere. I'm probably going to try Rebel's this weekend.

Anyone have any new information on Reign?

Archived