George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH)

pineda

Well, Houston, I can tell this is extraordinarily important to you and I know *you think* you've answered the question.

For the sanity of ourselves and everyone else, I'll throw you a bone and give you the "win" so you can chase the bone instead of your tail.

There will, indeed, be a connection between the terminal and the garage.  As noted by me in this thread, er, when, September 21?  It's almost like you're talking about something completely, er, different.

But I understand from observation that chasing tails leads to dizziness, which leads to confusion, disorientation, and lack of spatial awareness, so no judgment here.  Even for those who don't need luggage carts . . .

Edited by mattyt36
  • Like 1

On 10/26/2021 at 2:29 PM, Amlaham said:

The Airport apparently entered into a new 10-year agreement for the maintenance and operation of the Skyway train this past April.  https://www.railwaypro.com/wp/alstom-wins-huston-apm-operation-contract/

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

On 10/31/2021 at 12:41 PM, Houston19514 said:

There seems to be some confusion (imagine that; a Chronicle article getting things confused...)   I'm pretty certain the plan is to replace the Subway train, not the Skyway train.

The Airport apparently entered into a new 10-year agreement for the maintenance and operation of the Skyway train this past April.  https://www.railwaypro.com/wp/alstom-wins-huston-apm-operation-contract/

RFP confirms you’re wrong.

Color me NOT SURPRISED. (But I always appreciate your confidence.)

The original system was built by CO on the cheap in the mid-1990s and still uses the same train controls. Has been a problem for a long time. Surprisingly, the Subway has proven more resilient on its much more limited mission.

https://www.fly2houston.com/biz/opportunities/solicitations/2062

Edited by mattyt36

2 hours ago, kennyc05 said:

They should rebuild the subway like Atlantas airport.

That would be way worse for many reasons. The biggest one being making the Subway post-security, nevermind the construction complexities. And then the level changes with the volume of connecting passengers (although let the record show I know Houston19514 has his I’m OK with Level Change merit badge along with his No Smart Carte merit badge).

But I do agree that it’d be nice if passengers could move as efficiently around IAH gates (not necessarily terminals) as they can in ATL.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Tumbleweed_Tx said:

I haven't been through ATL since 99... isn't the whole airport a secure area, unlike IAH?

There are two terminals at each end with 7 concourses in between, and yes, all of the area between the terminals and concourses, including the train and pedestrian mall, are secure.

(Bad night to be mentioning Atlanta. And the number 7.)

• Sad 2

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to Original Air Traffic Control Tower At IAH

I didn't get any pictures but the remodel/refurbishment of the existing Terminal D concourse is very much underway.  They've started from the west end, where the flooring and ceilings have been removed from the areas of Gates 1 - around 6.  Appears they must be doing the work overnight and then cleaning up so the gates can be used during the day.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

HAS did an update presentation to City Council Economic Development  Committee yesterday.  No big news in the presentation.  I thought the most interesting item was when the HAS COO mentioned, again, that in addition to the Airport’s expansion plans, United is working on plans to expand their gates; presumably, that would be the new north piers in Terminal B.

Here’s the presentation:

http://www.houstontx.gov/council/committees/econdev/20220526/ITRP_Economic_Development_Committee.pdf

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

I thought the most interesting item was when the HAS COO mentioned, again, that in addition to the Airport’s explanation plans, United is working on plans to expand their gates; presumably, that would be the new north piers in Terminal B.

Well it‘s now or never on that one, as we’ve discussed before, unless they get an extension from the City.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, wxman said:

Welcome back, Air New Zealand!

The flight will be three times weekly. Does anybody know what it was before the pandemic? Was it daily?

Air New Zealand restarts flights from Houston after over 800 days (houstonchronicle.com)

What other Int'l flights are we still missing? Has IAH-SYD restarted yet?

It was daily.

SYD is scheduled to return in October, I believe.

6 minutes ago, editor said:

I just told my wife about these flights, and the consensus is, "It's nice to live someplace where you can go someplace."

I see the flight to New Zealand is 15 hours.  Anyone know the length to Sydney?

It’s 17.5 hours. I’ve taken that flight and it’s every bit that long nearly to the minute.

Edited by wxman

1 hour ago, wxman said:

It’s 17.5 hours. I’ve taken that flight and it’s every bit that long nearly to the minute.

Sounds dreadful.  I think the longest flight I've taken was 15 hours.

Was it bad in coach, or bad in business class?  I have a third of a million frequent flyer miles to burn.

3 hours ago, editor said:

Sounds dreadful.  I think the longest flight I've taken was 15 hours.

Was it bad in coach, or bad in business class?  I have a third of a million frequent flyer miles to burn.

I've flown 12 hours in coach, and it's survivable. I've done 15 or so in business class, and that was fine. I flew Houston-Doha multiple times in business and it was great. Flying Emirates from Dubai to Sydney and then Melbourne to Dubai, wasn't nearly as much fun. A lot of that was the crappy way Emirates seats worked.

Air New Zealand from LAX to Auckland wasn't bad at all in coach, but that was when the volcano in Iceland screwed up air travel from Europe, and all of the passengers from London to LAX were missing. Flight was about 1/3 full, so I was able to lay down across seats. LAX to Auckland is 11 or 12 hours, I think.

12 hours ago, Ross said:

I've flown 12 hours in coach, and it's survivable. I've done 15 or so in business class, and that was fine. I flew Houston-Doha multiple times in business and it was great. Flying Emirates from Dubai to Sydney and then Melbourne to Dubai, wasn't nearly as much fun. A lot of that was the crappy way Emirates seats worked.

Air New Zealand from LAX to Auckland wasn't bad at all in coach, but that was when the volcano in Iceland screwed up air travel from Europe, and all of the passengers from London to LAX were missing. Flight was about 1/3 full, so I was able to lay down across seats. LAX to Auckland is 11 or 12 hours, I think.

I've done 13- and 15-hour runs in coach, but that was when I was younger.  At my age, I don't think I could handle it anymore.  Once on a flight from San Francisco to Tokyo on JAL, I got upgraded to Business and was in one of those reclining egg pods.  It was a whole different world. 

One flight I was on from Los Angeles to Tokyo, there was a 20-something waif across the aisle from me.  She didn't handle the trip well.  She curled up in the seat, put the blanket over her head, and stayed like that until we landed.   I felt bad for her.

I've done the Air New Zealand flight from Houston in coach.  It's really not that bad, but I've been on some other long non-stops in coach too so maybe I'm used to it (Houston-Beijing, Houston-Dubai, Newark-Mumbai).  They had an unusual option where 2 people could buy 3 coach seats in select rows and basically get a lie-flat bed for two out of it, which I've not seen on any other airline.  I didn't do that (I was flying solo), but if I went again I'd probably take advantage of that for the 15 hour flight, if they are still doing it.