George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH)

pineda

16 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

Yes, that's the name of the pre-security inter-terminal train.

It could use some TLC on those tight little turns. Plus the general space down there is devoid of any human touches. Feel like you're riding a tram into an underground lab (Half-life or Resident Evil style).

• Like 3

Wish there were more renderings of the Terminal D renovations.  Hard to make much of the ones in the presentation--they make the concourse look like it has lower ceilings than it does (unless those are photos of D1-D3).  I also wonder what's being done with all the pre-security space since it will no longer be needed.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Montrose1100 said:

It could use some TLC on those tight little turns. Plus the general space down there is devoid of any human touches. Feel like you're riding a tram into an underground lab (Half-life or Resident Evil style).

They are working on a complete replacement, last I heard.

2 hours ago, mattyt36 said:

Wish there were more renderings of the Terminal D renovations.  Hard to make much of the ones in the presentation--they make the concourse look like it has lower ceilings than it does (unless those are photos of D1-D3).  I also wonder what's being done with all the pre-security space since it will no longer be needed.

Yeah, I've been curious about the plans for the soon-to-be vacant space in the Terminal D building.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, samagon said:

no, say it ain't so! this is so exquisitely dystopian Houston! 

Agreed.  I took my girls on it 15+ years ago when they were little.   They loved it - talked about it forever.

It's uncrowded and something about it's simple utilitarianism is endearing.

It's our cheap Disney ride here locally.  (literally)

• Like 3

On 6/22/2023 at 6:36 PM, kennyc05 said:

It's embarrassing 😞😞😞 

I like Atlanta's subway that goes terminal to terminal. IAH also needs rail to go to the rental car lots instead of the shuttles.

Only if one is intent on being embarrassed by everything Houston (as so many HAIFers and Houstonians generally seem to be.  There must be something in the water, or maybe it's too many years of reading the chronicle.

As cspwal mentioned, IAH also has a modern train inside security, similar to ATL, but we also have the train outside security, something ATL lacks (they offer a shuttle BUS). If anyone should be embarrassed, it's Atlantans.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

Only if one is intent on being embarrassed by everything Houston (as so many HAIFers and Houstonians generally seem to be.  There must be something in the water, or maybe it's too many years of reading the chronicle.

As cspwal mentioned, IAH also has a modern train inside security, similar to ATL, but we also have the train outside security, something ATL lacks (they offer a shuttle BUS). If anyone should be embarrassed, it's Atlantans.

yes, and for anyone who knows about them, picking up bags after returning from somewhere in E, D, or C terminal, and then making your way over to A, or B terminal is super simple stuff, and oh so much better than having to mingle with the current traffic situation, or wait in a super long line for the shuttle to your car. just make your way over to A, call your parking lot and they will be there shortly to get shuttle you back to your car.

Edited by samagon
  • Like 2

On 1/4/2023 at 5:03 PM, hindesky said:

"Not one, but two art projects are beautifying the community neighboring George Bush Intercontinental Airport in 2023. A 5-ton sculpture of President John F. Kennedy will be installed on John F. Kennedy Boulevard near the airport's southern entrance in East Aldine this month. 

Xi97LBz.jpg

p3CoGVy.jpg

Oh great. Another giant Mold-A-Rama “sculpture” (https://moldville.arcade-museum.com/45--humble-oil-building.html)  from David Adickes. I know this is simply my opinion and apparently not held by most, but his stuff is an embarrassment to Houston.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 6/26/2023 at 8:31 AM, samagon said:

and for anyone who knows about them,

This is a problem in a lot of airports.  The art of helping people get where they're going has been lost.   Airports around the world seem too wrapped up in "move people past shopping and restaurant opportunities" to realize that their primary function is getting people to their destination. 

Wayfinding in most of the airports I've been to recently has been abysmal.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/21/2022 at 12:05 PM, mattyt36 said:

You are indeed correct, not sure where I got that idea in my head.

Regardless, it is likely to happen in 2022--if it doesn't, for all intents and purposes they will be at the same level.

A far cry from IAH historically being a good 25% busier internationally than DFW.

HOU is to blame for some of it.  AA not having a true hub on the West Coast or East Coast probably proportionally more responsible, but UA has lost a lot of ground to Mexico in particular. 

If you have a theory as to how this will revert in the future, I'd love to hear it.

Otherwise, the substantive point remains the same.

Good news, while DFW international traffic did indeed surpass IAH's in 2022, by 1/4 million (2.67%), for the first six months of 2023, IAH is back in the lead, by 164,000 (3.04%).

And, as you allowed, when HOU international traffic is added, Houston still led Dallas-Fort Worth in international air passenger traffic in 2022, by about 2/3 million (and the 1st Half/2023 lead widens to more than 2/3 million (12.39%)).

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

Good news, while DFW international traffic did indeed surpass IAH's in 2022, by 1/4 million (2.67%), for the first six months of 2023, IAH is back in the lead, by 164,000 (3.04%).

And, as you allowed, when HOU international traffic is added, Houston still led Dallas-Fort Worth in international air passenger traffic in 2022, by about 2/3 million (and the 1st Half/2023 lead widens to more than 2/3 million (12.39%)).

Looks like IAH has about 250K more international departing seats than DFW for CY 2023.

Column 4 is 2023, column 3 is 2022:

DFW Asia 321,237 444,578
DFW Australasia 84,222 161,262
DFW Caribbean 172,965 227,658
DFW Central America 377,940 451,788
DFW Europe 1,213,984 1,482,990
DFW Middle East 324,872 328,952
DFW North America 3,367,902 3,385,681
DFW South America 316,197 274,282
IAH Asia 132,867 299,298
IAH Australasia 32,974 140,350
IAH Caribbean 214,225 291,248
IAH Central America 1,148,079 1,294,646
IAH Europe 970,508 1,123,930
IAH Middle East 233,423 301,537
IAH North America 2,788,024 3,015,960
IAH South America 578,822 608,190

Of course, North America in the above is Mexico and Canada.

Total IAH 2023: 7,075,159

Total DFW 2023: 6,757,191

Still, again, a far cry from the historical comparison, and I'm not sure it's anything to trumpet.  Unfortunately, DFW really ate into IAH's historical dominance to Mexico.  IAH's marginally higher seats fully attributable to DFW's gap to Central and South America.  

We'll see if there is any major expansion once the new international gates open, but I'm not holding my breath.  I don't think UA is even building a club in the new terminal (we would've heard about it by now from UA, which telegraphs things like that 2 years in advance), which is absolutely pathetic.

• Like 1

I wonder how much of that is affected by all the construction.

Haven't flown internationally out of IAH since April, but my understanding is tremendous progress has been made on Terminal D in that time. I have flights out of there next week and in mid September. Look forward to seeing just how much/how quick that work is being done.

20 hours ago, mattyt36 said:

We'll see if there is any major expansion once the new international gates open, but I'm not holding my breath.  I don't think UA is even building a club in the new terminal (we would've heard about it by now from UA, which telegraphs things like that 2 years in advance), which is absolutely pathetic.

United clearly has growth plans for IAH.  See their plans for massive rebuild of Terminal.B.   It is not pathetic or even surprising that they may not be building a club in Terminal D, as it will continue to be primarily for non-United carriers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

United clearly has growth plans for IAH.  See their plans for massive rebuild of Terminal.B.   It is not pathetic or even surprising that they may not be building a club in Terminal D, as it will continue to be primarily for non-United carriers.

Wrong, the new D pier was designed in no insignificant part to give UA additional international gate capacity (it should be obvious they have no other options to implement their "massive" growth plans on the international side at the peaks, which is when you want to add new international destinations to maximize connectivity) instead of building the 2008-era proposed FIS at Terminal B.  They will be using it--just like they use D today, although I am sure to a higher degree.  The fact that they don't use the opportunity to build a build-to-suit flagship club is, indeed, pathetic, given how crowded the existing clubs are.  The closest club to those gates will be the already pathetically undersized C-North club.  There were plans for a Star Alliance lounge at one point, but I'd think we'd have heard about it by now if it was still the plan.

I am not saying they don't have growth plans at IAH because, as you say, they continue to pour money into facilities here and at least pay lip service to growing here.  That said, in the last decade (i.e, from 2010 to 2019), UA grew 25% in seat capacity at DEN, 9% at ORD, and shrunk 4% at IAH.  Since 2019, it has grown a further 19% in DEN and shrunk another 4% at IAH.  Does not scream major growth plans to me.  If you say they are sitting out waiting for the construction of D to be over, well, then we can only assume they'll sit out waiting for B to over, which will probably be another 5+ year redevelopment program.  Chances are pretty decent there will be another major recession that will upend the existing growth plan and we will still be waiting.  IMO IAH is a big hedge for them because they essentially control the facilities, unlike at DEN and ORD.

23 hours ago, JBTX said:

I wonder how much of that is affected by all the construction.

Well with A and B, it's likely going to be going on for another decade, so I'd say get used to it, i.e., if they aren't growing due to the construction, not sure why we would assume they would in the future.

1 hour ago, mattyt36 said:

Well with A and B, it's likely going to be going on for another decade, so I'd say get used to it, i.e., if they aren't growing due to the construction, not sure why we would assume they would in the future.

The list provided was for intentional flights, and both international terminals (D and E) plus C to a degree are under consideration right now. That's what I was referring to, less so the rare International flight to Canada in Terminal A.

2 hours ago, JBTX said:

The list provided was for intentional flights, and both international terminals (D and E) plus C to a degree are under consideration right now. That's what I was referring to, less so the rare International flight to Canada in Terminal A.

Well considering a majority of flights to Canada depart from Terminal A, I’m not sure I would use the word “rare.” 

Any newly added international flight would be low on the O&D scale, and those people are already on the roadways, just connecting at SFO, LAX, ORD, etc., so I don’t think your logic flows.

On 8/15/2023 at 9:03 PM, JBTX said:

Can we not edit posts anymore?

I meant to write "Haven't flown internationally out of IAH since April, when Terminal D was ripped down to its studs and didn't even have floors."

Testing

Edit: I seem to be able to edit

1 hour ago, Triton said:

Testing

Edit: I seem to be able to edit

Not receiving the option on mobile or desktop.

Edit: curiously, the option reappeared for this post. Maybe just a bug. Ignore me.

Screenshot_20230817_103010_Chrome.jpg

Edited by JBTX

19 hours ago, mattyt36 said:

Wrong, the new D pier was designed in no insignificant part to give UA additional international gate capacity (it should be obvious they have no other options to implement their "massive" growth plans on the international side at the peaks, which is when you want to add new international destinations to maximize connectivity) instead of building the 2008-era proposed FIS at Terminal B.  They will be using it--just like they use D today, although I am sure to a higher degree.  The fact that they don't use the opportunity to build a build-to-suit flagship club is, indeed, pathetic, given how crowded the existing clubs are.  The closest club to those gates will be the already pathetically undersized C-North club.  There were plans for a Star Alliance lounge at one point, but I'd think we'd have heard about it by now if it was still the plan.

I am not saying they don't have growth plans at IAH because, as you say, they continue to pour money into facilities here and at least pay lip service to growing here.  That said, in the last decade (i.e, from 2010 to 2019), UA grew 25% in seat capacity at DEN, 9% at ORD, and shrunk 4% at IAH.  Since 2019, it has grown a further 19% in DEN and shrunk another 4% at IAH.  Does not scream major growth plans to me.  If you say they are sitting out waiting for the construction of D to be over, well, then we can only assume they'll sit out waiting for B to over, which will probably be another 5+ year redevelopment program.  Chances are pretty decent there will be another major recession that will upend the existing growth plan and we will still be waiting.  IMO IAH is a big hedge for them because they essentially control the facilities, unlike at DEN and ORD.

No doubt United will make some use of the "new" Terminal D, just as they do now, but it is quite clear Terminal D will not be anything close to the core of their operation, or of their international operation. United will only have preferential rights to 3 gates on the west side of the new Terminal D West pier. Preferential rights; not exclusive rights.  THREE gates, out of, I think, 23  or 24 gates in Terminal D.  And only for 10 years. 

When the Terminal B rebuild is done, one imagines they will be able to move some purely domestic mainline operations from Terminal E over to Terminal B, thus making more room in E for International growth.

The "C North" Club, of course, is right at the base of the new Terminal D West Pier, pretty perfectly-located for use by their terminal United's D-West passengers.  I'm certain all United clubs at IAH are in line to be refurbished and possibly expanded. I guarantee there will be one or more new/expanded clubs in the refurbished/expanded Terminal B.

It's a little . . .  pathetic, if you will, 😉 to claim United is only giving "lip service" to growth plans. They have recently spent, and are spending, hundreds upon hundreds of millions of dollars upgrading and expanding  their facilities at IAH. Probably wouldn't be doing all that if they didn't have real growth plans.

Any chance you can share your sources for the seat capacity statistics?

By the way, United plans to complete the Terminal B rebuild about 3 years from now, not 5+.

• Like 1