George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH)

pineda

On 1/12/2021 at 11:28 AM, Houston19514 said:

Buried in an attachment to a City Council Agenda item regarding the Terminal Redevelopment Program at Bush Intercontinental:

" By mid-Summer this year, design will have been completed and construction will be fully underway."

To remind everyone of what the project includes:

Constructing a new 11-gate concourse on the northside of Terminal B, becoming the “New Terminal C North” (project already completed by United Airlines); demolition (already completed) and replacement of the “Old Terminal C North” pier with a new Terminal D-West pier, renovation of the existing D Terminal, and integrating the Terminal D-West pier and D Terminal into a new single common-use north gate complex; expansion, modernization, and reconfiguration of the Federal Inspection Services (FIS) facility to improve baggage handling systems; constructing a new centralized international ticketing hall and centralized international security checkpoint; improving the meeter/greeter hall, and increasing the passenger roadway and curbside drop off/pickup capacity. ITRP also provides for the completion of various Program-supporting enabling projects such as utilities infrastructure and terminal roadways.

This seems like a lot to me, but I'm not quite an airport/airline expert like y'all are. I used to travel a lot, and was kind of embarrassed by both Houston airports until the reno's in HOU were done, then it just left IAH (minus terminal B). I liked the United wing of IAH, but everything else felt like it was from the 90s. 

I saw the video and the renderings from that pdf @Houston19514 posted, so is this a massive overhaul of the airport, or just an update? Can I finally be happy with my city's international airport? Plus, is the new baggage system a big deal?

Another article today covering the demo:

Parking garage at George Bush Intercontinental Airport to be demolished to make way for new Mickey Leland International Terminal

https://communityimpact.com/houston/lake-houston-humble-kingwood/development/2021/02/25/parking-garage-at-george-bush-intercontinental-airport-to-be-demolished-to-make-way-for-new-mickey-leland-international-terminal/

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

HAS gave an update presentation about the ITRP this week.  Here's the slide deck:

https://www.houstontx.gov/council/committees/econdev/20210322/ITRP-Update.pdf

Highlights:  The design is VERY far along.  By this summer, the design will be completed and they will be fully into construction.  Ground has already broken for foundations and utility work for the new Terminal D West pier.

They will be adding a new baggage screening building to the southeast corner of current Terminal D, with airline club space on the upper level(s).

Completion Schedule:

New D West pier: 4th Quarter 2022.

Full refurbishment of current Terminal D:  3rd Quarter 2023

New baggage screening building:  4th Quarter 2023

New International Terminal Phase 1: 4th Quarter 2023

New International Terminal Phase 2: 2nd Quarter 2024. 

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 6

• 2 months later...

Flew to Mexico City this weekend and flew from D on Volaris and was momentarily very confused when I saw a Southwest plane landing while a Sun Country was pulling up to a gate at D (incoming CUN flight) and I totally forgot  that both of them had launched service since I had flown on a plane 15 months ago.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to The Concourse At IAH
  • 5 weeks later...

Thread on /r/Houston about how dropoffs at Terminal E are closing, although the OP mistakenly said that all of E was closing. 

Had a friend that pre-paid parking at Term C garage, but it took more than 30 minutes to get a parking spot, so heed notice. 

Yes, the Terminal E ticket hall will be closing for the duration of the rebuild.  They've been doing some work in the Terminal C ticket hall/TSA checkpoint to increase capacity.  United anticipates completing move-out of Terminal E ticket hall in August (EDIT:  Apparently very early August, as in Monday August 2)

When the program is completed, the space that was the Terminal E ticket hall will be the new Terminal E security screening area. Something like 17 lanes, one of the largest in the country.

RE:  Parking. last Thursday I had pre-paid parking for Terminal C.  Finding a spot took nowhere near 30 minutes, but available spaces were pretty limited. One does need to plan for some extra time.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

From the Sept. 15 presentation to City Council Economic Development Committee:

Southwest currently has 3 gates at Bush IAH, they want 2 more. The airport still has requests for more gates from a number of airlines.

The Airport is in the early stages of the domestic redevelopment program, which will probably add 6 gates to Terminal A. Right now they are in the process of meeting with the various airlines which will lead to getting their commitments to the program.  The Terminal A expansion will begin while the International expansion program is underway. They expect it might be completed 6-9 months after the completion of the international expansion. It seems likely that Spirit might move from Terminal A to Terminal D.

United has shared preliminary plans to add 2 piers to the north side of terminal B. That would also require United to remodel their Terminal B Central Processor. (United controls Terminal B, so none of this would be part of the Airport's Domestic Terminal Renewal Program.

The Airport will soon be putting out an RFP for the complete replacement of the subway train system.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

Southwest currently has 3 gates at Bush IAH, they want 2 more. The airport still has requests for more gates from a number of airlines.

Very very interesting. Would be very telling to see who those are. 

The Airport is in the early stages of the domestic redevelopment program, which will probably add 6 gates to Terminal A. Right now they are in the process of meeting with the various airlines which will lead to getting their commitments to the program.  The Terminal A expansion will begin while the International expansion program is underway. They expect it might be completed 6-9 months after the completion of the international expansion.

Oof. That seems like a long time from now. You mean the FIS expansion at D/E that is underway? I know there was talk about an FIS getting added to B, but maybe that isn't happening anymore.

It seems likely that Spirit might move from Terminal A to Terminal D.

That is honestly a fascinating idea and I'm sure would hopefully have them launch some more international service!

United has shared preliminary plans to add 2 piers to the north side of terminal B. That would also require United to remodel their Terminal B Central Processor. (United controls Terminal B, so none of this would be part of the Airport's Domestic Terminal Renewal Program.

I wonder if they are going to go with the unairconditioned jet bridge setup again. I really didn't like the way that the Term B expansion worked out, but I'm sure it was thrifty.

The Airport will soon be putting out an RFP for the complete replacement of the subway train system.

Well, that is sad, but definitely time. They honestly should have done it before the D/E construction. The train is backed right now between D/E and C because of the parking garage closure and you technically aren't supposed to take carts on the train. What a mess.

3 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

That shouldn't be a surprise.  Same dynamics as at other gate-constrained airports, and airlines like Southwest are happy to squat on the real estate, whether they need them or not.  IIRC, there was some MoU related to the Terminal D work that committed to giving UA more gates (half of any new ones?) in Terminal A in any expansion.  I'm sure AA and DL would take additional gates, too, not to mention F9 or NK.

Are you referring to the 2008-era plans that also included the B FIS?  Or have they resurrected them?  I forget the requirements from that lease, but I think the redevelopment rights expire at some point soon.  Of course they could get such rights extended with Council approval.

I can't imagine there will be many alternatives for this given the width of the tunnel between A and the hotel, unless it's being located somewhere else.  Hello moving sidewalks?

2 hours ago, mattyt36 said:

I can't imagine there will be many alternatives for this given the width of the tunnel between A and the hotel, unless it's being located somewhere else.  Hello moving sidewalks?

It is almost a mile from D/E to A, so I hope not.

Hopefully no one tells Elon about the RFP lol

1 hour ago, wilcal said:

It is almost a mile from D/E to A, so I hope not.

I remember when that was trying to be addressed by the Master Plan and it was either have a manufacturer essentially rebuild the rolling stock and all the controls (which is quite the specialty job) or install a moving sidewalk (if you wanted to keep it in the existing right of way, that is).  Pretty sure the idea of trackless, driverless vehicles (think a driverless golf cart) driving in the existing right of way was also brought up . . . I guess that'd be the way to go, although again pretty specialized due to car width, I'd think. 

1 hour ago, wilcal said:

Hopefully no one tells Elon about the RFP lol

Yes, no need to risk burning down the place 😄

7 hours ago, mattyt36 said:

That shouldn't be a surprise.  Same dynamics as at other gate-constrained airports, and airlines like Southwest are happy to squat on the real estate, whether they need them or not.  IIRC, there was some MoU related to the Terminal D work that committed to giving UA more gates (half of any new ones?) in Terminal A in any expansion.  I'm sure AA and DL would take additional gates, too, not to mention F9 or NK.

If that was ever the case (and I don't think it was), I don't think it is currently

Edited by Houston19514

On 9/20/2021 at 3:55 PM, mattyt36 said:

Are you referring to the 2008-era plans that also included the B FIS?  Or have they resurrected them?  I forget the requirements from that lease, but I think the redevelopment rights expire at some point soon.  Of course they could get such rights extended with Council approval.

No.  I was not referring to 2008-era plans.   FWIW, the extant (2015) Master Plan does not seem to contemplate the B FIS.  i've seen language in some bond documents that suggests that another FIS is still possible, but I don't think anyone plans that any longer.  

What I was specifically referring to was merely that Mario Diaz said United has shared preliminary plans for the two additional piers and that United would also have to remodel the central processor facilities if they built those piers.  I don't know the details; it might just be because the ingress and egress points to the north concourse would be different from the banjo handles, and also the need for more capacity.  

United's Terminal B redevelopment rights do not expire soon. They have control of Terminal B and can build the piers whenever they decide. I am not certain of whether they still have an FIS in mind for Terminal B.

Edited by Houston19514

7 hours ago, mattyt36 said:

IIRC, I believe Diaz said they had interest from several different companies, so they are anticipating a good response to the RFP.

10 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

If that was ever the case (and I don't think it was), I don't think it is currently

Will have to see what I can find.

10 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

United's Terminal B redevelopment rights do not expire soon. They have control of Terminal B and can build the piers whenever they decide. I am not certain of whether they still have an FIS in mind for Terminal B.  i've seen language in some bond documents that suggests that another FIS is still possible.  But what I was specifically referring to was merely that Mario Diaz said United has shared preliminary plans for the two additional piers and that United would also have to remodel the central processor facilities if they built those piers.  I don't know the details; it might just be because the ingress and egress points to the north concourse would be different from the banjo handles, and also the need for more capacity.

I was able to find this . . . the lease expires 12/31/24 if UA does not proceed with further Terminal B redevelopment.  If they do, the lease extends for 25 years.  It's difficult for me to post a link but here goes:

Municipal Securities Rulemaking Board::Emma (msrb.org)

You should be able to click on the "Official Statement" and download the official statement.  See lease summary page 7 of the document.  IIRC "Deferred Phase" refers to the replacement of the banjos with two piers on B-North. 

The Terminal B FIS was shelved with the Terminal D project, which includes an FIS expansion.  Or at least that was the last I heard.  Although I guess they still have the right on paper, they'd have to fight for CBP staffing.

9 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

IIRC, I believe Diaz said they had interest from several different companies, so they are anticipating a good response to the RFP.

Kind of a throwaway, gladhandy phrase in my experience in the industry when it comes to these things.  (No one ever tells City Council that they don't have interest from multiple companies because the obvious response would be, "What are you doing wrong?" or "You should talk to my buddy!")  Not as prevalent as industry favorites like airlines saying "the new route is exceeding our expectations," but certainly on the list.

Edited by mattyt36
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, mattyt36 said:

Here's a link to the 9/15 presentation to the Economic Development Committee of Council:

https://www.houstontx.gov/council/committees/econdev/20210915/iah-itrp.pdf

Just looking at it at greater detail and boy does that drawing on the cover look like an exterior walkway from the terminal to the D concourse.  Yikes.  I knew the guys they hired for program management did LHR T2 with similar exterior walkways, but Houston is not the place.

Hope I'm wrong.

Edited by mattyt36

44 minutes ago, Justin Welling said:

I thought it looked like a walkway from a parking garage to Terminal D, but I am not sure. 

It appears to be in the place where the existing sterile walkway from D to the FIS goes.  I doubt a walkway from the garage would make much sense, considering D will no longer have ticketing, and considering the new ticketing building is farther to the west toward Terminal C, I doubt it's from the Ticketing to the concourse.  

The above said, I can't imagine CBP approving an uncovered sterile walkway, so who knows?  Maybe it carries utilities.  There's a similar structure at Terminal A parallel to the walkway.

On 9/21/2021 at 8:49 AM, mattyt36 said:

I was able to find this . . . the lease expires 12/31/24 if UA does not proceed with further Terminal B redevelopment.  If they do, the lease extends for 25 years.  It's difficult for me to post a link but here goes:

Municipal Securities Rulemaking Board::Emma (msrb.org)

You should be able to click on the "Official Statement" and download the official statement.  See lease summary page 7 of the document.  IIRC "Deferred Phase" refers to the replacement of the banjos with two piers on B-North. 

The Terminal B FIS was shelved with the Terminal D project, which includes an FIS expansion.  Or at least that was the last I heard.  Although I guess they still have the right on paper, they'd have to fight for CBP staffing.

Great info. Thanks.

I had also presumed the Terminal B FIS was shelved, and as I mentioned above it is not contemplated by the extant Master Plan,  but it is still referenced as a thing in some 2018 bond documents (and that's well after plans were well underway for the International Terminal project).  "Under the third and final deferred phase, United may construct two new international-capable Terminal B North Concourses for both mainline and regional jet aircraft along with a Terminal B FIS facility and the renovation and reconstruction of the existing Terminal B central lobby and baggage claim areas."

My understanding of the lease summary in the 2021 bond documents posted above is that the lease that expires in 2024 is only as to the north side (the banjos) and related support facilities. The rest of Terminal B appears to be under a lease that does not expire until 2041.  That may give us a pretty good indication that United will be starting on Phase 3 soon, likely before the end of 2024. (I doubt they would want to give up those gates; of course it's always possible the terms could be amended before then) 

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, mattyt36 said:

Just looking at it at greater detail and boy does that drawing on the cover look like an exterior walkway from the terminal to the D concourse.  Yikes.  I knew the guys they hired for program management did LHR T2 with similar exterior walkways, but Houston is not the place.

Hope I'm wrong.

1 hour ago, Justin Welling said:

I thought it looked like a walkway from a parking garage to Terminal D, but I am not sure. 

26 minutes ago, mattyt36 said:

It appears to be in the place where the existing sterile walkway from D to the FIS goes.  I doubt a walkway from the garage would make much sense, considering D will no longer have ticketing, and considering the new ticketing building is farther to the west toward Terminal C, I doubt it's from the Ticketing to the concourse.  

The above said, I can't imagine CBP approving an uncovered sterile walkway, so who knows?  Maybe it carries utilities.  There's a similar structure at Terminal A parallel to the walkway.

The walkway depicted on the cover is from the parking garage to the International Terminal D/E central processor (ticketing hall).  You can be sure neither TSA nor CBP would allow an open "sterile" walkway.

Edited by Houston19514

45 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

Great info. Thanks.

I had also presumed the Terminal B FIS was shelved, but it is stil referenced as a thing in some 2018 bond documents (and that's well after plans were well underway for the International Terminal project).  "Under the third and final deferred phase, United may construct two new international-capable Terminal B North Concourses for both mainline and regional jet aircraft along with a Terminal B FIS facility and the renovation and reconstruction of the existing Terminal B central lobby and baggage claim areas."

My understanding of the lease summary in the 2021 bond documents posted above is that the lease that expires in 2024 is only as to the north side (the banjos) and related support facilities. The rest of Terminal B appears to be under a lease that does not expire until 2041.  That may give us a pretty good indication that United will be starting on Phase 3 soon, likely before the end of 2024. (I doubt they would want to give up those gates; of course it's always possible the terms could be amended before then) 

That's correct, the various lease terms are tied to the investments, with B-South being the first required investment that IIRC squeaked through the first deadline since it was negotiated right before the financial crisis and then there was the controversy post-UA merger with the HOU international project.  The new C-North was the second phase of that lease, but the largest phase was the redo of the terminal, the new FIS, which I believe was to go where the Skytrain APM maintenance facility currently is, and the two piers to replace the banjos.

Of course there's nothing preventing the City from extending the development period, especially with COVID.  But I hope they don't.  One of the reasons IAH has suffered because of the mad rush for gates at DEN and ORD and associated minimum utilization requirements, so it'd be dumb for the City to lose leverage in this situation.

41 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

The walkway depicted on the cover is from the parking garage to the International Terminal D/E central processor (ticketing hall).  You can be sure neither TSA nor CBP would allow an open "sterile" walkway.

Oh, I get it now, it's a walkway running east-west over the ticketing curbside from the C garage, not north-south across Terminal Road from the terminal to the concourse.  Thanks for that.  It might be a popular feature . . . at least there will be an underground option. 

1 hour ago, Justin Welling said:

Looks like you were right!

Edited by mattyt36
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

On this, only thing I can confirm is that UA has requested (at least pre-COVID) more gates on A, for obvious reasons that don't have much to do with utilization.  They'd be stupid not to.

I thought there was some agreement/right of first refusal, subject to minimum utilization requirements, but appears I was mistaken.  The A gates do have minimum utilization provisions, the problem being they're not tied to minimum utilization of gates at other terminals.  So UA can schedule the minimum turns per gate on A while not utilizing some gates on B, C, or E to that level (if at all), without losing the A gates.  

The former A icehouse gates that became the Southwest gates were under yet another separate lease with a 30-day termination at either the City's or United's option.  It may even be the case that the City terminated the lease before COVID and Southwest because at one time the first AA flight of the day to LAX used those gates (as well as the EAS airlines).  

It's strange to me that the City and Southwest are not talking more gates at HOU.  Seems like now would be the time.  And it'd probably be the 5-gate international concourse expansion versus a new east concourse for non-Southwest airlines.

22 hours ago, mattyt36 said:

Well thanks again to @Justin Welling and @Houston19514 for proving me wrong.  I've been trying to find a good photo of the LHR T2 walkway (also from the garage to the terminal over the curbside roadway) but have come up empty.  Below are the best I can find.  I have completely changed my opinion ("eaten crow" as is said) and now think that this will be a great architectural feature.  I thought they had "value engineered" the connector over Terminal Road and anyone walking from the terminal to the gates would have to walk outside in the heat with rain blowing sideways.  With this walkway situated in between buildings, I don't think rain will be an issue.

Star Alliance improves transfer experience at Heathrow T2 – Business Traveller

The entrance to the departure terminal at Terminal 2, the Queens Terminal, at Heathrow Airport, London, England, UK Stock Photo - Alamy

Edited by mattyt36

• 2 weeks later...