George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH)

pineda

14 minutes ago, wxman said:

Anybody have any updates on the terminal? Have they completed the Terminal C north demo? I know it seems dramatic but I wonder if IAH will ever return to the air traffic we once had. If so, it'll be years I bet. Are we in danger of losing any foreign flags over this pandemic?

(1)  Probably so, but as with most of Houston, the airport system is not the best at publicity, so can't be sure  (2) Yes,  it could be quite some time before IAH (or any other airport) returns to the traffic we recently had.   (3) No doubt we are in danger of losing one or more foreign flags, as is most every airport that has foreign flags.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

I can now confirm they have completed the demolition of old Terminal C North.   See photos in the attached, along with a bunch of new renderings of the upcoming replacement concourse and new terminal facilities.

http://www.houstontx.gov/council/committees/econdev/20200617/ITRP.pdf

Wow, well, the new renderings are nice and it'll be a major upgrade over what we have now. Too bad the entire thing won't be needed for quite sometime. 

While I think the new renderings are nice and clean, I still think our airport (as well as most airports in the US) lack a 'wow' factor like DXB, SIN, ICN, PEK or SZX. I wish our cities, airports and railways were the envy of the world the way we were in the 50s and 60s. Oh wellz

Edited by wxman

• 2 months later...
On 7/15/2020 at 3:21 PM, wxman said:

Wow, well, the new renderings are nice and it'll be a major upgrade over what we have now. Too bad the entire thing won't be needed for quite sometime. 

While I think the new renderings are nice and clean, I still think our airport (as well as most airports in the US) lack a 'wow' factor like DXB, SIN, ICN, PEK or SZX. I wish our cities, airports and railways were the envy of the world the way we were in the 50s and 60s. Oh wellz

City budgets vs national budgets make the difference there. 

• 2 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, WshfulThnkn said:

Does anyone have an update on this project.  Thanks!

Nothing real precise, but it is definitely ongoing and apparently moving along nicely.  I saw a comment by one airport official at a city council committee meeting that suggested the whole project is moving along ahead of schedule.  I think they are able to get some things does a little faster because of the reduced activity at the airport due to COVID.  My understanding is that we should start seeing visible construction activity before the end of the year.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

IAH only has so many slots. SWA's presence at IAH will be minimal with only a few flights a day to a few destinations. Also, SWA has recently announced multiple new routes out of Hobby starting to Cincinnati, Detroit, Fort Myers, Miami, Minneapolis, Ontario, and Sacramento. I think HOU will be just fine! 

• Like 3

It's going to be very interesting to see what gate(s) Southwest uses at Bush Airport.   We were told in another thread that there is no room in Terminal A for additional flights because United is hoarding the gates to the point that other airlines cannot find a place to dock.  Will be interesting to see how Southwest manages to find a gate.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

Currently, United has A1, A2, A3, A7, and A8. A3 is rarely used, it is the smaller part of Terminal A that Continental Connection (the prop planes for smaller Texas markets) used to fly out back before 2012-ish. When Southwest flew to IAH prior to 2005, they flew out of A7 and A8.  (Link to photo of Southwest at IAH https://www.airliners.net/photo/Southwest-Airlines/Boeing-737-3T5/679490?qsp=eJwljksOwyAMBe/iNYuQlH7YtRdoFr2ABVaCRAMyrtQoyt1L6M5%2BY43fBi4tQl95rZnAQiFkN4OCjIzvAnYDDBzDckDTDxddmUufRXgFa7RRwDSFtIDV5qYgJofS1uHUXbUCj0LjnCRNjHkmXzV9152qpSSWR5W0k7tzlKXif/5kT3wgKq6Vmer/asvEY5thONfch5IjNgcJhgj7/gNwrEJp

I think a few things could happen:

1. Southwest could take over A7 and A8 and UA would still have A1-A3. A3 has technically 8 gates for smaller regional planes, but is rarely used. I think UA could makes use out of that again with SkyWest operating some of their Crj-200 for United Express. This would then open up A7 and A8 for SWA. United is probably not very happy with SWA's announcement, so I doubt they will ever give those two gates up. 

Or

2. A3 section is demolished and Houston Airport System expands A by a few gates (very unlikely); or SWA just uses A3's existing hardstands reducing it from 8 regional stands to like 2-3 hardstands meant for 737. 

Or

3. SWA takes over 2 of American's gates (they have A25-A30)

Again, all speculation, but I am very curious to see how this plays out! If anyone has other ideas, would love to hear them :). 

On 10/12/2020 at 1:43 PM, Justin Welling said:

IAH only has so many slots. SWA's presence at IAH will be minimal with only a few flights a day to a few destinations. Also, SWA has recently announced multiple new routes out of Hobby starting to Cincinnati, Detroit, Fort Myers, Miami, Minneapolis, Ontario, and Sacramento. I think HOU will be just fine! 

Link to the announcement? Interested in Detroit specifically and don't see it on the calendar for the next few months. 

1 hour ago, Justin Welling said:

Currently, United has A1, A2, A3, A7, and A8. A3 is rarely used, it is the smaller part of Terminal A that Continental Connection (the prop planes for smaller Texas markets) used to fly out back before 2012-ish. When Southwest flew to IAH prior to 2005, they flew out of A7 and A8.  (Link to photo of Southwest at IAH https://www.airliners.net/photo/Southwest-Airlines/Boeing-737-3T5/679490?qsp=eJwljksOwyAMBe/iNYuQlH7YtRdoFr2ABVaCRAMyrtQoyt1L6M5%2BY43fBi4tQl95rZnAQiFkN4OCjIzvAnYDDBzDckDTDxddmUufRXgFa7RRwDSFtIDV5qYgJofS1uHUXbUCj0LjnCRNjHkmXzV9152qpSSWR5W0k7tzlKXif/5kT3wgKq6Vmer/asvEY5thONfch5IjNgcJhgj7/gNwrEJp

1. Southwest could take over A7 and A8 and UA would still have A1-A3. A3 has technically 8 gates for smaller regional planes, but is rarely used. I think UA could makes use out of that again with SkyWest operating some of their Crj-200 for United Express. This would then open up A7 and A8 for SWA. United is probably not very happy with SWA's announcement, so I doubt they will ever give those two gates up. 

Or

2. A3 section is demolished and Houston Airport System expands A by a few gates (very unlikely); or SWA just uses A3's existing hardstands reducing it from 8 regional stands to like 2-3 hardstands meant for 737. 

Or

Again, all speculation, but I am very curious to see how this plays out! If anyone has other ideas, would love to hear them :). 

Yeah, Southwest is going to need 3 gates tops. Probably 2 is fine. 

My preference is that UA dumps A entirely. With no check-in and no baggage facilities at A, customers have to take the train to/from B which is kind of ridiculous. 

1 hour ago, Justin Welling said:

Or

Or

The airport system is actually planning to expand Terminal A by a few gates, but of course that won't be ready in time for Southwest to start service in early 2021.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

The airport system is actually planning to expand Terminal A by a few gates, but of course that won't be ready in time for Southwest to start service in early 2021.

That's kind of interesting since it's usually the airlines that pay for expansions. Maybe one of the legacies like AA or DL want their own little nicer area?

10 hours ago, Justin Welling said:

@wilcal Saw it from airliners.net, can't seem to find the exact quote. Schedule starts it at March 11, so I guess it is not that soon. My bad. 

Yup, it's there in March! HOU-DTW 1835-2300 and DTW-HOU 0730-1000.

Reallllllllly annoying times, but it is what it is. That's pretty close to what Spirit had been flying from IAH for awhile. In-laws live in Saginaw, so the 90+ minute drive is brutal with this combo. 

Speaking or A.Net, the newest OAG changes are out. 

Also, it appears VivaAerobus has dropped IAH (along with all of their other US destinations).

Air Canada is dropping Montreal and Calgary in November (but returning in December) and Toronto is dropping to once daily. 

Air France may be coming back in November.

Singapore cancelling IAH-MAN flights in December.

4 hours ago, wilcal said:

Speaking or A.Net, the newest OAG changes are out. 

Also, it appears VivaAerobus has dropped IAH (along with all of their other US destinations).

Air Canada is dropping Montreal and Calgary in November (but returning in December) and Toronto is dropping to once daily. 

Air France may be coming back in November.

Singapore cancelling IAH-MAN flights in December.

Singapore Airlines pulling out of the Houston market permanently or in the interim?

On 11/1/2018 at 3:54 PM, wilcal said:

United can F right off. They are only using the gates in A to block growth of other airlines. They don't even offer baggage claim or check-in services in A! 

On 11/5/2018 at 9:57 PM, KinkaidAlum said:

Landed at IAH on American from LAX. We had to wait for 25 minutes because the AA gates were full.

I agree, F-OFF, United. 

Hey guys, how is Southwest going to provide service to IAH when United is blocking growth of other airlines and keeping American from getting its planes to the terminal?

7 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

Not really, at least not directly.

UA directly paid for about 3/4 of the new terminal C North

https://www.chron.com/business/article/United-IAH-show-off-new-Terminal-C-North-10922067.php#:~:text=United and the Houston Airport,also known as Terminal D.

And most of Term B 

https://airportimprovement.com/article/houston-intercontinental-united-wrap-first-phase-1-billion-terminal-project

Edited by wilcal
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, wilcal said:

Yes, I'm aware of the fact that United has directly paid for many of the additions and improvements they have made to Bush Airport. They also have full control of their terminals.  Neither is the case for any non-hub carrier and it is not the case that non-hub carriers usually directly pay for airport improvements or additions, either in Houston or elsewhere.

Edited by Houston19514

As I mentioned above, prior to Southwest's announcement, the airport system has been proceeding with plans to add gates to Terminal A.  They have looked at four alternative expansion scenarios.

-North Concourse Extension, 4 gates   $110 Million

-Northwest Pier, 8 gates   $255 Million

-West Pier, 4 gates   $80 Million

-South Concourse Extensions, 4 gates    $66 MIllion

It looks like South Concourse Extension is the most likely to happen first.

Not to jump into something that you guys are quite knowledgeable about, but couldn't Southwest moving into Terminal A just as simple as Southwest seizing on an opportunity caused by either a United or market weakness due to COVID? 

I can't imagine anything happening to Hobby with that announcement, its definitely the more...cohesive of the two airports, just in terms of food/bars/entertainment and alot of that, to me, happened after Southwest basically took over the place. But of course its smaller.