Moody Gardens: Developments & Updates

I lived! I was Bridget McDermott and I was rescued!

Neat exhibit; I enjoyed it.

Are you sure you weren't laying half frozen on a floating piece of debris shouting...Come back...come back...

Oh, oh, I think I summoned Celine Dion again! :mellow::D

Admission is $11 and it's inside the Discovery Pyramid. Do you have to buy a pass to the whole complex (all pyramids) or just for the one exhibit? Thanks!

Here's something to think about. This exhibit is the same one that was at the Houston Museum of Natural Science a few years ago. It's owned by a collection of companies operating under the corporate umbrella of Clear Channel Inc, which owns hundreds of radio and TV stations around the country.

I covered the press-preview they held at the HMNS the day before it opened to the public, and I have to say it's an interesting collection of stuff "gathered" from the wreckage of the Titanic. Actually, I think "plundered" is a better word.

A lot of people, including me, regard the Titanic wreck and the site where it's located as a grave for the 1500 people who died that night. The thought that people can just take what they want from a grave and charge people money to see what they've stolen is just obscene, but that's what is happening with this traveling exhibit that's now at Moody Gardens.

Back at the HMNS, I interviewed one of the corporate mucky-mucks traveling with the exhibit, and asked about one particular item on display. It's a doctor's bag, still full of the stuff doctors carried with them in 1912. It belonged to one of the passengers, who also happened to be a physician, and his name is on the bag. I asked the guy if they had ever made any effort to find that doctor's family and return the bag to them. He gave me a puzzled expression and said "Well, no. It belongs to us now." He clearly couldn't understand why I would ask such a question.

I think that says all that needs to be said about today's corporate mentality. Those people are just well dressed grave robbers, and Moody Gardens is an accessory after-the-fact to the crime of grave robbing. So is HMNS and every other place this plunder has been. And yes I realize the same can be said about archaeologists who plunder ancient pyramids and burial sites and the museums that display the stuff.

Here's something to think about. This exhibit is the same one that was at the Houston Museum of Natural Science a few years ago. It's owned by a collection of companies operating under the corporate umbrella of Clear Channel Inc, which owns hundreds of radio and TV stations around the country.

I covered the press-preview they held at the HMNS the day before it opened to the public, and I have to say it's an interesting collection of stuff "gathered" from the wreckage of the Titanic. Actually, I think "plundered" is a better word.

A lot of people, including me, regard the Titanic wreck and the site where it's located as a grave for the 1500 people who died that night. The thought that people can just take what they want from the wreck and then charge money for the public to see it is just obscene, but that's what is happening with this traveling exhibit that's now at Moody Gardens.

Back at the HMNS, I interviewed one of the corporate mucky-mucks traveling with the exhibit, and asked about one particular item on display. It's a doctor's bag, still full of the stuff doctors carried with them in 1912. It belonged to one of the passengers, who also happened to be a physician, and his name is on the bag. I asked the guy if they had ever made any effort to find that doctor's family and return the bag to them. He gave me a puzzled expression and said "Well, no. It belongs to us now." He clearly couldn't understand why I would ask such a question.

I think that says all that needs to be said about today's corporate mentality. Those people are well dressed grave robbers, and Moody Gardens is an accessory after-the-fact to what I consider a crime. And yes I realize the same can be said about archaeologists who plunder ancient pyramid graves and the museums that display the stuff.

Everything you state is true.

Same goes for the folks that steal from pyramid's, lost ancient cities, especially sunken battle ships, etc.

• 10 months later...
Pretty straight up architecture question. Why did they chose Pyramids for Moody Gardens Aquarium, Discovery and Rainforest as opposed to regular buildings or something else? Curious question.

The pyramid shape was chosen for its strength against hurricane-force winds.

Apparently Ike was a good test. I don't think they had any structural damage to the Moody Gardens pyramids, but I understand the Rainforest pyramid did suffer flood damage. I assume the flood damage is unrelated to the shape of the structure.

It's an Illuminati related conspiracy! :rolleyes:

Omg Hilarious!

And eye catching they are, especially driving across the I-45 bridge to Galveston Island... and more stable in high winds. Yes. Good reasons.

I was wondering if there was some deeper reason... something symbolic happening... other than an Illuminati conspiracy :lol:

If eye catching and beneficial for a hurricane force wind are the reasons; those are pretty acceptable.

It's always interesting why designers chose the pyramid shape... like the Luxor in Las Vegas. But I'm sure that hotel was all about catching the attention of visitors...?

Not sure... i've never been. What's there anyway? just a forest?

They've created a rainforest inside the pyramid and you can see all sorts of strange creatures. Its a pretty neat attraction. I forget what the other pyramids are.

The pyramid shape was chosen for its strength against hurricane-force winds.

Apparently Ike was a good test. I don't think they had any structural damage to the Moody Gardens pyramids, but I understand the Rainforest pyramid did suffer flood damage. I assume the flood damage is unrelated to the shape of the structure.

that makes perfect since to me since the triangle is the strongest shape of shapes

The Moody's were a prominent family with strong Masonic ties, so the "Illuminati" speculation is not as far off as you might think. There's quite a bit of local lore about this pertaining to the Moody family.

Off topic, but...I was told the pyramids in Egypt, Mexico and (where's the other location of major pyramids?) has some significance, like there's a reason they were built at their locations, and not just some random act; something maybe to do with astronomy. I tried googling some stuff but couldn't come up with anything.

Anyone know?

Yes, Galveston is supposedly aligned with the Giza plateau between 29 and 30 degrees latitude.

Yes, the Moody's (and many other well-known 'elite' families) were/are into Masonry and the so-called mystery religions.

Here's a stained glass mural inside the Moody Mansion, filled with masonic symbology such as "Jachin & Boaz".

03.jpg

Here's an interesting documentary on the subject of symbols embedded in our nation's architectural monuments. The backstory, meanings and significance of many of the symbols you take for granted. Hidden in plain sight. Quite fascinating.

"Riddles in Stone"

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Post Ike damage and some updating to be done.

HBJ

Done in multiple phases, modifications to the pyramid will include a new entrance, a walkway that will lead guests through the canopy level, new vantage points, new plants, birds, animals, fish and butterflies. As in the past, there also will be access to the lower levels of the exhibit.

Moody Gardens expects the full enhancement to take two years, and a grand opening is planned for early 2011.

419931-300-0-1.jpg419941-300-0-1.jpg419951-300-0-1.jpg

As I was clicking the thread I was wondering why the hell they needed to renovate, but actually that seems pretty cool!

At least they are updating and investing more money into it.

Still, it would be nice to know what the heck is going on with the glacier exhibit though. Over a whole year any nothing as far as an update.

Maybe this project is using the funds allocated from the glacier.

• The title was changed to Moody Garden Pyramids

Archived